Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, the poll. 4 votes for Tavistock to 2 for Bere Alston, but weren't there two stations at Tavistock? Only one reply specifies which one, so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

The Didcot Newbury and Southampton today, another area about which I know nothing much, but it must have had some nice wayside stations.

Neither do I so I am not going to be silly and find somewhere with a daft name.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I'm still literally plugging away with Hunt couplings, and I got as far as tackling the parcels formation. The results are once again very good.

They've been a transformation for me as well Gilbert.  I've spent a fair proportion of this months railway budget on them but it's been well worth it. Thank you once again for telling us about them. 

• Agree 1

Winchester Chesil for me too. we spend a lot of time in Winchester as our eldest daughter lives there and we love the place, her graduation was in the cathedral, what a stunning place. I have managed to sort of trace the route of the rail line as there are still signs on the edge of the city. Looks like it was a fascinating station. As we can't go abroad at the moment Winchester has almost become a place for holidays despite being only 90 minutes from home on a good day.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another one sided poll. Winchester Chesil 7, hardly anywhere else mentioned.

Today, the Somerset and Dorset. Anywhere except Bath Green Park and Bournemouth West. Oh yes, and Templecombe, which has already featured in at least two other polls.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another one sided poll. Winchester Chesil 7, hardly anywhere else mentioned.

Today, the Somerset and Dorset. Anywhere except Bath Green Park and Bournemouth West. Oh yes, and Templecombe, which has already featured in at least two other polls.

To be pedantic, Bournemouth West isn't on the S&D anyway (nor indeed Green Park).

For all that it was a most interesting railway, the stations were not that interesting. Evercreech Junction for me for a slightly unusual layout, plenty of shunting and banking engines.

• RMweb Premium

It has to be "Binegar" - terminus of the Oakhill Brewery's 2ft 6in gauge industrial (?) line, wth its Peckett and Bagnall 0-4-0STs. Coal, empty barrels, barley and hops in - full barrels out.

The trouble with the S&DJR is that there is such an abundance of fascinating stations and interesting traffic, that identifying one place to vote for is very difficult, but "Binegar" it is.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I fell into the spell of the romance of the S&DJR. I was going to build a model based on it with the Bulleid Pacifics and the oddments of Derby designs running along side each other. Ivo Peters photos helped this perception but when you read about it as a operating railway it was doomed from day one.

So today I am not nominating any of the stations because it would be hypocritical of me to do so on this over hyped backwater railway.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I know very little of the Somerset & Dorset, but I did see a train at Broadstone station once; the last train from Wimborne - I don't know whether Broadstone counts or not?