Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert, its possible 60061 had a defect within the boiler or firebox that was too big for the Boliersmith at her depot  to deal with or she may have been declared a failure whilst in service.  Hence the short visit and a boiler change.  Anyway, based on previous known practices at the Plant, the opportunity to replace the crest with the new Heraldic version would probably have been taken to please HQ.  After all the tender is sitting around in the yard waiting for the loco to be sorted out. 

Paul

Good point Paul, but at the moment no concrete evidence either way. The appropriate photograph will no doubt turn up just after I have made the wrong decision.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Are we going to get a closer view of the met cam lurking as the second vehicle behind Quicksilver?

It is a Cravens, as you say in your next post Andy, and I have featured it before. This time though it is tucked away in the fiddle yard, so it will be a while before there is another opportunity.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Kingswear for me.

I would love to have seen it in the late 195O’s , early sixties. Where else in the country could you see an island platform terminus at the end of a single track branch with class 7 and class 8 locos arriving and leaving with named trains, or a big 2-6-2 tank piloting a class 5 4-6-0 ? Or if the driver was brave enough, a Hall having negotiated those steep banks with 13 on. Trains arriving from all over the country, in chocolate and cream, maroon , blood and custard, and if you were lucky, green in connections with River Dart Excursions. Add to that the jetty with  coal  being unloaded by rail crane and taken up to Torquay power station behind any thing from a pannier to a Hall.

Apart from the Class 8s, the namers and the coal jetty, Newquay (see this topic passim) ticks all those boxes too!

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I hate to mention the C-word, but BBC reports Nottingham has the highest infection rate in the UK. Please keep away from others as much as possible, Gilbert. 

Nottingham City is the big problem Ian, and I very rarely go there even in normal times. Rushcliffe, where I live, has a much lower rate, and even that will be skewed by West Bridgford, which adjoins Nottingham itself, and is effectively part of it. Having said that, I am ultra careful anyway!  Many thanks for your concern though.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

A late run of votes meant Kingswear branch was the winner this time with 6 votes.

Today it is the Southern in Devon. I'm not well up on county boundaries in the south west, so any single track branch that is at least partly in Devon counts. Should this be extended to include Dorset though?

• RMweb Gold

Halwill to Torrington. Built by Colonel Stevens in the 1920s, and possessed of the most minimal passenger service for most of its existence, often two trains per day in each direction!  With various clay deposits generating some traffic, it carried on until 1964. In extremis I think it could be used as a diversionary route to Exeter, but capacity would have been sorely tried and delays horrendous. Torrington was the site of a major milk depot - but the tanks went via Barnstaple. That will not stop me running them via my version of Halwill instead!

A few years ago, on our way back from Wadebridge, where we had seen Mr Greenwood's magnificent 2mmFS model of Wadebridge station, Sherry and I stopped at the preserved station at Torrington, where there was an A-board out advertising Sunday lunch. Great, we thought! "Have you booked?" we were asked. Why have an A-board out if you need to book? We dined elsewhere. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, great northern said:

A late run of votes meant Kingswear branch was the winner this time with 6 votes.

Today it is the Southern in Devon. I'm not well up on county boundaries in the south west, so any single track branch that is at least partly in Devon counts. Should this be extended to include Dorset though?

Plenty of candidates in Dorset Gilbert.

I think we should stick to Devon, in which case my vote goes to Seaton. A classic junction station, a ride in wonderful scenery to arrive at a classic seaside terminus. All kinds of branch motive power and today even trams. Also home to Peco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, great northern said:

Having received expert advice, Devon only, folks.

12 hours ago, great northern said:

Good point Paul, but at the moment no concrete evidence either way. The appropriate photograph will no doubt turn up just after I have made the wrong decision.

You can guarantee the moment you publish a picture of the completed model of 60061, someone will find the picture your after. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium

If we're limited to just one branch I'll pick Seaton, because of the Peco connection and the trams, but I do have a soft spot for the little complex around Exeter, Exmouth and Sidmouth (who could resist such lovely Devon names as Tipton St John's, Newton Poppleford and Budleigh Salterton?).

• Like 1

Torrington to Halwill Junction for me too, a fascinating little line.  

We stayed at a country house hotel nearby and walked part of the track bed line with our pet Airedale.  On our way back, she ran on ahead out of sight till we heard a loud "Splash!".  Catching up with her, she was just climbing out of a pond covered in duckweed (pond and dog).  She must have thought it was a very flat lawn.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I have a confession and an apology to make.

This morning when I inferred there were several Southern branch line candidates in Dorset, due to complete brain fade and general incompetence I not only confused county boundaries but also owning railway companies. I know very well that West Bay and Abbotsbury are GW and that Lymington is in Hampshire - my old home county, what a nincompoop I am -  but earlier today I though otherwise. Not enough coffee is my excuse...

Surprisingly, Dorset does indeed have a dearth of Southern branch line termini so possibly you may consider combining it with Hampshire where there are indeed some interesting choices but not that many. But then I wouldn't take my word for anything at the moment! :no:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Hey! Are narrow gauge branchlines allowed? If so, then that would make the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway a Suvvun branchline in Devon!

Well, gets my vote anyway.

One must not be gaugeist, so its OK.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1