Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, mullie said:

Don't wish to be picky but Peco are based at Beer, it even says so in their address.

will vote for the bit of the Lyme Regis branch in Devon

Martyn

When the Seaton branch was still open, they were at Pecoway House, Station Road, Seaton.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Barnstaple to Ilfracombe for me, this time.

Lloyd

May I also vote for this line please. A lovely stretch along the north side of the estuary, then a busy little station at Braunton where the bankers came on, and then the hard work started!

Despite the above attempts to deny 'gaugeism', when linking railways into Barnstaple were first proposed there were riots concerning whether they should be Broad (Ie 7' and a 1/ 4 or the 'northern' 4' 8" and 1/2.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Exmouth, cos no one else has voted for it.

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If we're limited to just one branch I'll pick Seaton, because of the Peco connection and the trams, but I do have a soft spot for the little complex around Exeter, Exmouth and Sidmouth (who could resist such lovely Devon names as Tipton St John's, Newton Poppleford and Budleigh Salterton?).

Sort of.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Close!  3 votes for Halwill-Torrrington, 2 for Seaton, and one for Exmouth. Now, as we are looking at branch lines as a whole, rather than specific stations, the adjudicator has ruled that the result is a 3-3 draw, taking into account the relevant submissions from St Enedoc.

I have just realised that we have totally ignored the Isle of Wight up to now, so we will give it a poll all to itself. Branches or stations, the best of that delightful island, please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodness, we're spoilt for choice here. Ventnor, breaking all the cardinal rules of railway modelling with the tunnel barely off th platform ends (and the double-sided platform); Cowes, with its gravity shunting; Merstone, the junction in the middle of nowhere; Shanklin, where I was invited into the cab of W31 "Chale" at the tender age of 9; but, all things considered, I think I'll have to pick Ryde Pier Head, in steam days, with the "main line" terminus about half-a-mile offshore, the petrol trams running alongside and PS Ryde plying to and fro, to and fro (oh, my Hornby and my Tri-ang long ago...)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I have just realised that we have totally ignored the Isle of Wight up to now, so we will give it a poll all to itself. Branches or stations, the best of that delightful island, please.

Has to be Ryde Pier Head for me Gilbert. The start of many day trips from Southampton to the Isle of Wight when, "I were a nipper". Not forgetting the Ryde Pier tram as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ryde Pier for me too please, had a very pleasant trip via Hovercraft to the Isle of Wight about 10 years ago, was amazed to see the LU stock running on the Pier as I’d only ever saw it in books before.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm torn, but after consideration my vote goes to "Ventnor". The perfect model railway terminus which I did visit by steam as child and as a teenager just before the change to electrification.

Much later I did have some dialogue with Alan Hawes regarding the modifications to the newer IOW electric trains - ex LT 1938Tube Stock, still running today - and I remember his satelling us that the budget for modifying six sets was all spent on the first one?

Regards

Chris H

• Like 5

On 08/10/2020 at 22:39, St Enodoc said:

Apart from the Class 8s, the namers and the coal jetty, Newquay (see this topic passim) ticks all those boxes too!

I stand to be corrected but I don’t think there were double headers out of Newquay either , but there is photograph record of big Prairies helping the heavier trains out of Kingwear.

Tempted by Ryde Pier Head but my vote also goes to Ventnor.

Would love to have experienced it for real and wouldn't it be great of the railway could be rebuilt back there? As if by way of illustration, when we visited a few years ago, the bus that we had to take, literally burnt itself out on the climb out out of Ventnor, we had to evacuate it rather hastily and then had a long - but quite pleasant - walk to Shanklin.

• Like 3

Had a look through my Isle of Wight Book bought over 40 years ago when on holiday with my parents. I've been back to the island a number of times since, last time around ten years ago for two great consecutive family holidays spent in a farm cottage on the west of the island.

My vote goes to Wroxhall, looks like it was a lovely station. Just to be different.

Martyn