Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jazzer said:

I stand to be corrected but I don’t think there were double headers out of Newquay either , but there is photograph record of big Prairies helping the heavier trains out of Kingwear.

There most certainly were double-headers from Newquay and in the Down direction the double-headers sometimes had to be banked as well to get up the 1 in 37 of Luxulyan bank. Plenty of photos of these have been published over the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another very close and popular poll, decided on the last vote, Ventnor 7 Ryde Pier Head 6.

Now I run into difficulties, both with county boundaries and general knowledge. Let's stay south of the LSWR main line, and consider any single track branches or cross country lines between Bournemouth and Portsmouth.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Surely the Basingstoke and Alton, upon which the immortal Oh Mr Porter was filmed after closure?

It was mostly further east than Portsmouth, Ian, and might not qualify anyway, depending on whether Gilbert had in mind the Southampton/Bournemouth main line or the West of England main line (as hinted above by Chris H).

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It was mostly further east than Portsmouth, Ian, and might not qualify anyway, depending on whether Gilbert had in mind the Southampton/Bournemouth main line or the West of England main line (as hinted above by Chris H).

I'm not sure what I did have in mind, actually, as I don't know the area at all. I wanted to make sure that there would be more choices than just the Lymington branch. Was Salisbury-Brockenhurst single track? I'm working from the map at the back of a public timetable from the 50s, which doesn't give a lot of detail. It does show Alton as being just within the area I specified, which is indeed bordered by the West of England main line.

• RMweb Premium

Much thinking about today's poll. Is it to be Lymington branch? Or Basingstoke to Alton? I considered the ridiculously grand station at Gosport until I realised that the short line from Fareham had been double track.

In the end I have a clear winner for my vote: the branch from Botley to Bishops Waltham , only 3 or 4 miles from where I lived until 3 years ago. After closure the station building was the home of a local model railway club but it is now long gone and the site is quite literally under a roundabout.

Incidentally, I know many RMWebers enjoy a proper pint. If you are ever in the area do not miss the Hampshire Bowman in the nearby hamlet of Dundridge. An oasis of calm in what is becoming an overcrowded county. The Bowman is a proper English pub with real ale drawn from barrels behind the bar. If you're lucky you may find vintage motorbikes or even a steam car in the car park. Shameless plug over!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm not sure what I did have in mind, actually, as I don't know the area at all. I wanted to make sure that there would be more choices than just the Lymington branch. Was Salisbury-Brockenhurst single track? I'm working from the map at the back of a public timetable from the 50s, which doesn't give a lot of detail. It does show Alton as being just within the area I specified, which is indeed bordered by the West of England main line.

B7F0334B-96F6-42DF-AA72-583E7944CDDD.jpeg.176341050c88a4aff0253f1913bbdb9e.jpeg

Does this help Gilbert?

• Agree 1

Lymington, was there only a few weeks ago, called in there as a diversion on the way back from Winchester. We stayed there for a few nights once on our way to the Isle of Wight from Essex. That was BC of course (before children!). We stayed in Sandown, rode on the preserved line changing at Smallbrook from the 'mainline' and occupied ourselves one evening driving right round the island sticking to the coast.

Yarmouth is a nice place to arrive at on the island and it was a nice drive across to Sandown.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No contest in this poll. Lymington 7, and only two other suggestions. Is that only because there were very few to choose from? Or do we all remember Lymington fondly as the gateway to the Isle of Wight?

Moving on along the south coast, today we shall consider single track branches in Hampshire and Sussex. And even I know of two.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Not sure if it qualifies,  but I’ve been told to select Bishop’s Waltham as my wife’s 99 year old Great Aunt lives there...

I think it still qualifies so Bishops Waltham again for me. Let’s try to give the place its moment of fame!

• Like 1