Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

4 votes for Lydd makes it the winner of this poll. I don't know enough about the area to be more precise.

Where to now? The rest of Kent, and lines south of London and East of Reading. Does that work? Did posh Surrey have single track branches?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, David Bell said:

I like the close up. Classic 3/4 view and your modelling stands the close scrutiny

Thanks for that. It was the out of focus background that I didn't like, but I guess if your main focus is on the loco that doesn't matter so much.

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to the Brookwood Necropolis Railway branch. Most of the journey was over the LSWR mainline from the Necropolis station just out from Waterloo, but the railway in the cemetary ground to the separate chapel stations wad single line.

Can't think of many more except perhaps the Leysdown Branch on the Isle of Sheppey - but I think the local scenery is an acquired (or perverse) choice?

If we didn't have to stay south of London we could have had the Staines (GWR) and / or the Uxbridge (Vine Street) branches - both from West Drayton - but they are move definitely west of the Metropolis.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something went a bit funny there, and I haven'r time to sort it now, so more later.

The poll was a non event. Either there were hardly any branches in that area, or you are getting tired of polls. Today, I'll try single track branches off the GW main line, from Paddington to Reading.

• RMweb Gold

I’m voting for Twyford to Henley-on-Thames for a couple of reasons. The main reason is the legendary Norman Topsom; former “stationmaster” at Twyford, known to all local railway staff as “Flash” and whose 53 years of service to the railway saw him being awarded an MBE and having a class 166 unit named after him when he retired. 
The other reason is that during the Henley Regatta one year I was rostered as a sort of standby pilotman so that should any fault occur with the branch signalling, I could implement pilot working immediately with the minimum of delay. Passenger levels were so high during the Regatta (there was a more frequent service with longer trains plus some through trains to and from Paddington) that crowds would quickly build up if the train service stopped for any length of time. I very much enjoyed travelling up and down the line all day. Luckily my services weren’t required and towards the end of each day you could enjoy the spectacle of watching posh folk trying to return to London after a day of drinking far too much Pimm’s :bad:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the "Henley on Thames" branch. Of all the ex GWR branches it was probably the busiest with regular 4-6-0 hauled fast commuter trains to Paddington as well as local passenger trains hauled by 0-4-2Ts and 2-4-0Ts and lots in between.

Also - Mother was born at Wargrave and her elder sister went back to live in Henley as a widow.

Finally my early drinking days were supplied by the "Henley Brewery Co." - It was a long while till I realised that the "Brakespear" brew that friends raved about was what we took for granted as lads!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

G*R branches, but that is somewhere me mum said not to go. Strange things happen west of Royal Oak station she told me.

Hammersmith, as the Hammersmith and City line was jointly owned by the Met Rly and the G*R.

If that ain't allowed then Uxbridge High Street.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A slightly better supported poll, won by the Twyford to Henley branch with 3 votes.

What happens if we carry on along the GW main line? Single track branches twixt Reading and Bristol, plus those around Oxford, and Reading to Westbury as well.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Have you tried a shot with a sunny sky yet? ;)

I always find that they look too bland Phil. And I don't have many of them anyway. Some I do have come out far too blue, and by the time I've toned them down they look cloudy!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A slightly better supported poll, won by the Twyford to Henley branch with 3 votes.

What happens if we carry on along the GW main line? Single track branches twixt Reading and Bristol, plus those around Oxford, and Reading to Westbury as well.

Abingdon, home of the MG.

• RMweb Premium

Lots I could vote for in this area, but I think my vote has to go for the Lambourn valley branch from Newbury.

I have always been drawn to the Berksire Downland, since boyhood, and the Lambourn Branch since I first saw the late Carl Legg's "OO" gauge model - that was later bettered by his "EM" (?) version. Happy days.

Regards

Chris H