Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

From what I know, there tended to be regional variations, old habits dying hard and all that. The archetypical LMR ordinary passenger four and three coach trains would have a brake at either end - only when it got down to two vehicles, would one of the brake vehicles be dispensed with. Meanwhile, in the old NER area of the ER, they continued to favour BC+BT for a two coach formation so still a brake at each end.

Old habits still persisted well into diesel days and I remember a minor furore at the LHCS depot I was working at where we had five coach sets for local (Provincial) workings to supplement the all-pervading DMUs. There was a shunt required to be done at Blackpool station which involved propelling towards the buffer stops. The guard was in the rear vehicle - with his hand on the brake lever in the guard's compartment, ready to stop the move if the driver misjudged the distance. Not so easy to do if the rear vehicle isn't a brake coach (leaning out of a droplight window, reaching out for the butterfly valve as an alternative didn't go down too kindly with 'the lads' so brake at both ends it had to be).

The ER , or at least the southern part of it seemed to be fairly wedded to brakes at each end. There’s an interesting article by Steve Banks in the Jan 2007 Model Rail describing the Mk 1 suburban workings into Moorgate. These persisted with a BS at each end despite a chronic lack of capacity until the mid ‘60s. They then swapped to having a single BS in the middle of a five car set (S-S-BS-S-S) following a rule change.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

The ER , or at least the southern part of it seemed to be fairly wedded to brakes at each end. There’s an interesting article by Steve Banks in the Jan 2007 Model Rail describing the Mk 1 suburban workings into Moorgate. These persisted with a BS at each end despite a chronic lack of capacity until the mid ‘60s. They then swapped to having a single BS in the middle of a five car set (S-S-BS-S-S) following a rule change.

Not so at Peterborough though Andy. The M&GN trains only had one, and so did the Midland, as far as I can see from the photos I have.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

We are indeed used to trains in the era having a brake at the very rear, and the number of axles/wheels was certainly an important qualification were it otherwise. 

Southern EMUs, even those built under BR, adhered to these rules, although two-car units only had a brake at one end. Then 1963-stock appeared, with which I suspect St E to be particularly familiar. The four car unit had a single brake in one of the intermediate coaches. The units were designated Cig and Big - the latter having a buffet car. Earnest railwaymen would tell you the 'ig' stood for Intermediate Guard. It did not. IG was the LBSCR telegraphic code for Brighton, and it was for the Brighton line that the new stock was intended. 

A 12-car formation of 1963 Brighton Replacement stock (CIG-BIG-CIG) was known as an ICBC, for reasons that I've forgotten. The middle of the long trailer in a CIG was one of the most comfortable places to ride on the Southern.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A 12-car formation of 1963 Brighton Replacement stock (CIG-BIG-CIG) was known as an ICBC, for reasons that I've forgotten. The middle of the long trailer in a CIG was one of the most comfortable places to ride on the Southern.

As distinct from ECBC for Cep-Bep-Cep, I think? I always felt that the '63 stock had a rather nervous ride, compared with Cep/Bep units I knew on the Mid-Sussex. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

As distinct from ECBC for Cep-Bep-Cep, I think? I always felt that the '63 stock had a rather nervous ride, compared with Cep/Bep units I knew on the Mid-Sussex. 

I never had much to do with the CEPs and BEPs, They were either over to the East or the West. I do think the Mk 6 motor bogie and B5S trailer bogie on the CIGs and BIGs rode very well though.

Anyway, we're a long way from the ECML so let's leave it at that.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, great northern said:

The Friday afternoon Catterick Camp leave train now rolls through, with local A2/3 Sun Castle leading.

1001742603_1523.JPG.5d186223d9a7545b5872c45203eda906.JPG

8 cars from point of origin, but another 4 were added at York, all SKs, and behind the original brake, so the guard is in the middle again. In practical terms, would extra time even be contemplated at York to remove the brake, add the four cars, and then place the brake at the rear again?

I have very little experience of the workings of a steam-age railway, obviously, but the BT Films "This Is York" mentions a train having 10 minutes stop there while various chores, not including re-forming, are undertaken. Taking water is a bit important, but that assumes a station pilot adding and removing vehicles while the train loco is stationary at the pipe. OTOH a Catterick Camp service is hardly a prestige train, so a leisurely schedule is likely. I'm afraid only a contemporary CWN (Carriage Working Notice) could confirm. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

No more golf for at least a month, so the railway may get more attention. But will I miss getting up in the dark and going out in the cold and the mud? Actually, I probably will.

No doubt it's the 19th hole you'll be missing? (which I can appreciate for you in terms of socially-distanced interaction - especially now that the stabbing knives will be aimed at someone else's back?)

You could try a 'best views of a golf course from a carriage window?' poll but I'm not sure how many of us could usefully contribute?

Personally, I'm enjoying the usual - and occasionally unusual - comings and goings at PN. There's something reassuring about the rhythmical progression of the timetable ...

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

No doubt it's the 19th hole you'll be missing? (which I can appreciate for you in terms of socially-distanced interaction - especially now that the stabbing knives will be aimed at someone else's back?)

You could try a 'best views of a golf course from a carriage window?' poll but I'm not sure how many of us could usefully contribute?

Personally, I'm enjoying the usual - and occasionally unusual - comings and goings at PN. There's something reassuring about the rhythmical progression of the timetable ...

No, I don't miss the 19th at all as things are. It was OK when we could sit out on the patio in the fresh air, but confined inside with all the artificial restrictions just feels wrong, awkward and frankly not very safe. That's what Phil Steve Clive and myself felt like when we met at Newark a while back. I'll just go back to lying low, and wait to see what happens.

I was wondering about polls, or some other group activity to keep us all amused, but I'm struggling to find new ideas. As it happens though, I had thought about " the view from the train" , but it would be scenic views or views of railway interest or significance, not golf courses. I noticed in the earlier polls that people's reaction was usually governed by personal experience, but could we broaden our horizons? I feel I know a little about a lot of places I have never visited from what I've read in books and magazines, so could that work if we approached it in a more general way?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2