Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 05/11/2020 at 16:55, great northern said:

I'm still pondering over what we could do to lighten the mood during lockdown, but I did take note of those who said they enjoy pictures of carriages. The 6.10 Down Friday only is a West Riding relief, and features nearly the same formation as the Catterick leave train. It is also shown as working out of KX quite early the following morning, another summer Saturday only job. Here it is.

 

 

989343069_3rake1.JPG.4d028eb9859b2f4a87c8325fda6e591a.JPG730226832_4rake2.JPG.7c0e1069bcdda66e068d1b3a4a40d696.JPG1449747057_5rake3.JPG.5027101ff51736562e0cfe938d0f528a.JPG1408734251_5rake4.JPG.7a94ded8c671d3696884df5395960375.JPG699873590_6rake5.JPG.a1e8aa6572cc52335ca1cc4a5fa6e5d6.JPG1453105672_7rake6.JPG.55361c2fc982d771ab982b57ab0f2733.JPG

Your coach rakes are an inspiration!

  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2020 at 16:55, great northern said:

I'm still pondering over what we could do to lighten the mood during lockdown, but I did take note of those who said they enjoy pictures of carriages. The 6.10 Down Friday only is a West Riding relief, and features nearly the same formation as the Catterick leave train. It is also shown as working out of KX quite early the following morning, another summer Saturday only job. Here it is.

 

 

989343069_3rake1.JPG.4d028eb9859b2f4a87c8325fda6e591a.JPG730226832_4rake2.JPG.7c0e1069bcdda66e068d1b3a4a40d696.JPG1449747057_5rake3.JPG.5027101ff51736562e0cfe938d0f528a.JPG1408734251_5rake4.JPG.7a94ded8c671d3696884df5395960375.JPG699873590_6rake5.JPG.a1e8aa6572cc52335ca1cc4a5fa6e5d6.JPG1453105672_7rake6.JPG.55361c2fc982d771ab982b57ab0f2733.JPG

Question.
You run a lot of Kirk Gresleys don't you?
I have a mass of these coaches in a painted sides ready to assemble.
Have you put separate door handles and grab handles on them? Thanks to my near death experience during lockdown and the fact that I think the handles on the sides look good when painted, I'm going to build these sides, as is.
They will obey the belt and braces rule and my mortality has been impressed upon me.
Would appreciate your opinion, please.

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Question.
You run a lot of Kirk Gresleys don't you?
I have a mass of these coaches in a painted sides ready to assemble.
Have you put separate door handles and grab handles on them? Thanks to my near death experience during lockdown and the fact that I think the handles on the sides look good when painted, I'm going to build these sides, as is.
They will obey the belt and braces rule and my mortality has been impressed upon me.
Would appreciate your opinion, please.

I actually only have eight Kirks, four corridor and four non corridor. I sold a lot on years ago, which I regret now, actually. They were built over 30 years ago, so I had to go and have a look at them. Two of four corridor cars have handles, as do two of the non corridors . The others have none, so I reckon that I must have decided after doing the full job a few times that I'd had enough of it!  I did have to look quite closely to spot the difference just now.

 

Most of my Gresley stock is either professionally built, or resided Hornby cars, so they do have everything they should have. I wouldn't be able to see the handles now, let alone fit them.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Have you put separate door handles and grab handles on them? Thanks to my near death experience during lockdown and the fact that I think the handles on the sides look good when painted, I'm going to build these sides, as is.

 

Far be it from me to try to dictate to anyone how to build their stock, but if you stick with the mouldings then you'll only have door handles and not the commode handle beside them.  I think those are one of the easiest and most effective ways to lift Kirk sides.  All of mine, especially the ones used on Grantham have been enhanced in that way.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

 

Far be it from me to try to dictate to anyone how to build their stock, but if you stick with the mouldings then you'll only have door handles and not the commode handle beside them.  I think those are one of the easiest and most effective ways to lift Kirk sides.  All of mine, especially the ones used on Grantham have been enhanced in that way.

 

Thank you, I will bear that in mind.
All my coaches are vestibules bar one. That makes the job one heck of a sight easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, great northern said:

I actually only have eight Kirks, four corridor and four non corridor. I sold a lot on years ago, which I regret now, actually. They were built over 30 years ago, so I had to go and have a look at them. Two of four corridor cars have handles, as do two of the non corridors . The others have none, so I reckon that I must have decided after doing the full job a few times that I'd had enough of it!  I did have to look quite closely to spot the difference just now.

 

Most of my Gresley stock is either professionally built, or resided Hornby cars, so they do have everything they should have. I wouldn't be able to see the handles now, let alone fit them.

Your last point is relevant to me.
I have put handles on my articulated suburban set and the BSL artic corridor set.
My coaches are all vestibules bar one.
I'll give it some serious thought.
Thank you Gilbert, as always, you have been very helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening, Gilbert. I’ve been looking through the good book by Hugh Longworth, British Railways Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Volume 2, SR and LMS. In pages 407/8, the LYR Hughes, non corridor thirds are covered, to diagram 98. 54’ 0” x 8’ 10 1/2 “. 25tons 15 cwt. M15204M, is one from lot number N31. It was introduced in 1921, (no other information is given), and withdrawn in October, 1959. The original number was 13860. 
A fascinating subject, railway carriages.

 

Best regards,

 

 Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, Gilbert. I’ve been looking through the good book by Hugh Longworth, British Railways Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Volume 2, SR and LMS. In pages 407/8, the LYR Hughes, non corridor thirds are covered, to diagram 98. 54’ 0” x 8’ 10 1/2 “. 25tons 15 cwt. M15204M, is one from lot number N31. It was introduced in 1921, (no other information is given), and withdrawn in October, 1959. The original number was 13860. 
A fascinating subject, railway carriages.

 

Best regards,

 

 Rob.

That's what I'd call an exhaustive reply Rob, and absolutely correct too. I though that might be one of the more difficult ones.:sad_mini2:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having worked In Letchworth for many years and owning a model Country Gentlemens (sic) Association coal wagon, I have often wondered about goods train workings to and from the North.  I had assumed that wagons were dropped off at Hitchin for connection to an appropriate main line or Cambridge branch train.  However, your O2 is working a through goods.  Please  do you know if the loco joined hauled the train (tender first?) from Letchworth and ran round it at Hitchin or did it relieve a local engine at the latter? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Having worked In Letchworth for many years and owning a model Country Gentlemens (sic) Association coal wagon, I have often wondered about goods train workings to and from the North.  I had assumed that wagons were dropped off at Hitchin for connection to an appropriate main line or Cambridge branch train.  However, your O2 is working a through goods.  Please  do you know if the loco joined hauled the train (tender first?) from Letchworth and ran round it at Hitchin or did it relieve a local engine at the latter? 

Can't help with that, I'm afraid. Dear departed Andy Rush told me that the train would have vans with produce from Letchworth, but also, as with so many other nortbound trains, a raft of coal empties as well. It could be that the vans were worked to Hitchin and the empties attached there, but I don't know for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Having worked In Letchworth for many years and owning a model Country Gentlemens (sic) Association coal wagon, I have often wondered about goods train workings to and from the North.  I had assumed that wagons were dropped off at Hitchin for connection to an appropriate main line or Cambridge branch train.  However, your O2 is working a through goods.  Please  do you know if the loco joined hauled the train (tender first?) from Letchworth and ran round it at Hitchin or did it relieve a local engine at the latter? 

 

Having taken a look at the track layout at Hitchin, it seems a bit unlikely. The shunt moves involved would take up a lot of track capacity although it could be done with a station pilot.

I think it more probable that the wagons would have travelled further south to a marshalling yard before returning northwards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

Having taken a look at the track layout at Hitchin, it seems a bit unlikely. The shunt moves involved would take up a lot of track capacity although it could be done with a station pilot.

I think it more probable that the wagons would have travelled further south to a marshalling yard before returning northwards.

Would Letchworth have received loaded coal earlier in the day though, possibly off the New England- KX Goods pick up? In that case, assuming sufficient siding capacity at Letchworth, the whole train could have started there and just joined the main line at Hitchin. I know locos ran light from Hornsey to run empties from New Southgate and I think other places, so the same could happen here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love viewing your passenger train formations.  Does your modelling period warrant running the Tees-Thames which was introduced in the late 50’s for approx 3 years ?. It was a restaurant car express and consisted of two portions, one from  Saltburn by the sea and the other from West Hartlepool if I am not mistaken in late 1958.  York engines were used for the run to London and it’s return.

 

best regards

 

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, G567281 said:

I love viewing your passenger train formations.  Does your modelling period warrant running the Tees-Thames which was introduced in the late 50’s for approx 3 years ?. It was a restaurant car express and consisted of two portions, one from  Saltburn by the sea and the other from West Hartlepool if I am not mistaken in late 1958.  York engines were used for the run to London and it’s return.

 

best regards

 

Alan

Just too late for me, I'm afraid.  The sequence I run is from the Summer 58 WTT, and the Tees-Thames hadn't been invented by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.