2 hours ago, jazzer said:

I suppose Clive, coming from Essex , like me , you must be familiar with the use of apostrophes , other wise us wot speak Estuary English couldn't write with a gutteral slop like we speak wiv, as in :-

Sa'urday ,  West 'am , Sor' of ,  'igh Stree'  the  bo''om line is...,  lo''ery tickets  or  'e  'it it.;)

I am not an Essex boi, true I lived there a long time 1977 until 2017 and now speak like a native but I come from Bedford.

When I joined the army coming from Bedford I had a southern accent and the Northerners thought I was a Cockney. I even had Londoners ask me where in the East End did I come from? I told one geezer I wasn't from London he asked me did I come from Basildon or 'arlow.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

As a Geordie I'm not entering into any discussions regarding the use of language #ahem# 'man'.

But that WD is just so nice!  True grot.

I always think of an optician as a Geordie greeting.

Lloyd

14 hours ago, great northern said:

Mine are all Bachmann, yes. There are 42 and brake on the empties, and rather less on the loaded. All cope perfectly well with those rakes, and I reckon they could still handle a few more. All good smooth runners too, so I'm perfectly happy with them. I wouldn't mind another one, actually. Not that I really need it.

Most of my DubDees are DJH. Primarily because I bought the kits before the Bachmann model came out.
I got a Bachmann WD in the good old days, when Hattons flogged off locos at daft prices.
Remember Heljan green 47s for £45?
Initially, I was disappointed with its haulage. Then I got my sensible head on and realised my mineral trains are made of some weird and wonderful mineral wagons and are Bloody heavy.:lol:
I wanted to make a 'Doncaster Firebox' WD, from the excellent article in Model Railway Journal. Plastic bodies are right in my wheelhouse, I kept the Bachmann.
Umpteen years later, she's still here. Usually on bogie bolsters.
My mineral trains have got better running wagons now, so she takes her place on 30 wagon trains.
n short, Bachmann DubDees?
I would buy another if I needed one.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not an Essex boi, true I lived there a long time 1977 until 2017 and now speak like a native but I come from Bedford.

When I joined the army coming from Bedford I had a southern accent and the Northerners thought I was a Cockney. I even had Londoners ask me where in the East End did I come from? I told one geezer I wasn't from London he asked me did I come from Basildon or 'arlow.

Ah, Basildon. 

A few years ago I read Humphrey Littleton’s book of funny ( true ) stories. He told one tale of staying at a Hotel in Basildon where an Essex gel was the duty receptionist. Being hungry after his concert he phoned down to reception:-

“Do you have any sandwiches.?”

”Yeah , we got ‘am and we got cheena”

”I’m sorry , what was that again?”

“We got ‘am an we got cheena”

”What’s cheena ?”

”It’s a fish!”

:D

• Funny 5
34 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Ah, Basildon. 

A few years ago I read Humphrey Littleton’s book of funny ( true ) stories. He told one tale of staying at a Hotel in Basildon where an Essex gel was the duty receptionist. Being hungry after his concert he phoned down to reception:-

“Do you have any sandwiches.?”

”Yeah , we got ‘am and we got cheena”

”I’m sorry , what was that again?”

“We got ‘am an we got cheena”

”What’s cheena ?”

”It’s a fish!”

:D

That Humphrey bloke in't from round 'ere must be very fick not to no that. :rtfm:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 3
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Time for that strange Grimsby-KX parcels formed of just two BGs. I have no idea what loco was rostered to it, but this evening Immingham is short of engines. This will have no problem with such a light load though.

1424538733_12a4355.JPG.027d752c303f8560c4bdd4130b7f8b94.JPG

I don't know what the return leg of the diagram might be, but a J11 was quite a powerful beast, so I'm sure it will handle it.

We also have another look at the B1, just a lttle further on its way to Grimsby.

1817933998_1411432.JPG.5556edeec39c6464bf0c5bd5c825495b.JPG

Hi Gilbert

That last photo you have just posted of the B1 is stunning, one of the best photos I have seen  for a long while, and one of your best in my opinion.

The sky background blends in so well.

Regards

David

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

That last photo you have just posted of the B1 is stunning, one of the best photos I have seen  for a long while, and one of your best in my opinion.

The sky background blends in so well.

Regards

David

I fully agree. Most photos of model railways you can tell straight away that it is a model. Yours look so realistic that, If I did not know, I would think it was the prototype.

Thanks again for letting us enjoy them.

Lloyd

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, FarrMan said:

I fully agree. Most photos of model railways you can tell straight away that it is a model. Yours look so realistic that, If I did not know, I would think it was the prototype.

Thanks again for letting us enjoy them.

Lloyd

Totally agree 

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Colchester's B17 Nottingham Forest is in charge, so something has gone amiss along the way. No relief engine available at Cambridge, it would seem.

Another corking insight into Gilbert's depth of research. I say again, it is this level of understanding of how the railway ran that separates PN from so many other fine models. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Another corking insight into Gilbert's depth of research. I say again, it is this level of understanding of how the railway ran that separates PN from so many other fine models. 

Ermm....  I've just been informed, very tactfully, for which I was most grateful, that the train did not run via Cambridge, but went via Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Ely and March. That leaves me wondering where an engine change would have taken place, as dear Andy Rush told me that Colchester engines very seldom got to Peterborough East, let alone North.  I can't see that there would be a change at Ely, let alone March, given the very short distance from those places to PN.

It now belatedly also occurs to me that it might not even have been a Colchester engine from there. Never mind, I wanted one, and that's that.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4
7 hours ago, great northern said:

Ermm....  I've just been informed, very tactfully, for which I was most grateful, that the train did not run via Cambridge, but went via Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Ely and March. That leaves me wondering where an engine change would have taken place, as dear Andy Rush told me that Colchester engines very seldom got to Peterborough East, let alone North.  I can't see that there would be a change at Ely, let alone March, given the very short distance from those places to PN.

It now belatedly also occurs to me that it might not even have been a Colchester engine from there. Never mind, I wanted one, and that's that.

March or Ipswich loco working throughout (to PN)? No idea of whether they were allocated there or what depots' route knowledge was - not my part of the world!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The setting sun glistened off the paintwork of the B17, but could find nothing to enable it to do the same when its replacement backed on.

1055225529_470.JPG.726f967dcd20c6064722319b68b3dd85.JPG

and while the Glasgow had another of its protracted station stops, our ghost J3 appeared on the slow with a transfer goods.

393397870_541221.JPG.5fe3fd4914941f45d010c77120894dcb.JPG

The monochrome shot of the J3 is particularly realistic, brilliant.

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1