Peterborough North

great northern

You know, Gilbert, I can't help but wonder whether that unidentifyable object in front of the V2 above is something lost off an item of stock or something else altogether!

Either way, any idea what it might be and is it retrievable?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tim said:

You know, Gilbert, I can't help but wonder whether that unidentifyable object in front of the V2 above is something lost off an item of stock or something else altogether!

I'll check in a little while Tim. It might be a coupling, but I should have noticed something coming adrift if that is the case. Not sure if I shall be able to reach it, whatever it is.

11 hours ago, Tim said:

Looks like a black refuse sack to me - talk about attention to detail!

My guess is a bit of loco front end detail, eg the guard iron thingy from the front of a A3 or A4 bogie.

Hey, GN - you've got a potential competition on your hands here. Don't tell us what it is straight away when you retrieve it. The person who correctly identifies the object gets ... er ... the satisfaction of knowing they guessed it correctly?

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Was that Deltic era or HST arrival? I Know they're not steam but I have a very soft spot for both!

Peter, the Deltics were still running but the Haymarket allocation had all gone to York. HSTs had arrived, as had the Class 47/Mk3a/DBSO Edinburgh Glasgow sets. Plenty of other loco-hauled stuff too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I was Depot Manager for a couple of years in the early 1980s.

Blimey, you might have had to chuck me out.....but I was on an official visit!

Gilbert, deffo no plastic Refuse Bags in1958; lots of old bags but not plassi ones!

A. N. Ar$£

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The coupling conundrum solved. It is a ROCO close coupling. That's the easy part. How did it get there? I haven't a clue, as I took all ROCO stuff off months ago. I am absolutely certain it didn't come off a coach or wagon while under there, so I'm at a loss. It only appeared very recently too, not visible on previous photos of that area. Very strange.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey, you might have had to chuck me out.....but I was on an official visit!

Gilbert, deffo no plastic Refuse Bags in1958; lots of old bags but not plassi ones!

A. N. Ar$£

I've heard it said there are a lot of old bags in certain parts of Peterborough.....

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Proof, if proof were needed ....

StEnodocBR.jpg

Crikey! My cover is blown!

Where on earth did you dig that up from?

That was a graduate recruitment booklet from about 1984 IIRC.

What the first paragraph doesn't say it that the scheme was one of the most financially-attractive on offer and of course included the usual free and priv BR travel facilities. not that any of that swayed my decision...

The photographer came down to Lovers' Walk and took loads of photos in and around the depot including me talking to the girl who operated our new-fangled office computer (just the one - we started with a Superbrain and moved up to a Sirius - wow!) to show how up-to-date BR was. Then we went outside and he took a couple of pictures with the R&R 45T steam crane just to finish the film. Of course one of those was the one that made the cut. Never mind.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm the one wearing the hard hat and I'm talking to my colleague and friend Glen Woods, who died recently. As well as being a top railwayman, Glen was an expert on many aspects of railway history such as SR coaches and milk tankers name but two. He was also a member of Brian MacDermott's Wish-List Team.

RIP my friend.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Ah - you're awake then!

Just goes to show - never throw anything away, JUST in case it comes in useful. Mwahahahaaaa ...

It was actually the 85/86 brochure, must have come with my 'bumper pack' the year I joined (for many of the same reasons as you).

You were in good company that year - Carolyn Griffiths was alongside you!

And there does seem to be a predominance of pictures of folks standing next to weird and wonderful looking giant computers that were obviously hand-me-downs from the set of Star Trek ...

• Like 2