• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, great northern said:

B1 portrait this morning. I don't think we are doing daylight here today.

1137607820_210982.JPG.2ad580d0612d47166157563a88f6d16b.JPG

I do so much like a B1 portrait in the morning (well it is the morning here in the Antipodes...)

• Like 2
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It's nearly afternoon here but you've got another hour to go...

That's us in Queensland, 1 hour and ten years behind the rest of the country!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
On 10/12/2020 at 19:47, Mallard60022 said:

One of his Daughters was firing on my simpler course in 2001. She might be doing the honours now?  I liked Mr. Groom and yes, even on the simple course we had to do a great deal. My achievement was stopping exactly where he had chalked a mark on the platform in line with the mark on the Cab step/floor.  His book is a good read too.

Phil

Well done getting the stopping spot on . I found that difficult to get the hang of.  It made me realise that one of the great skills of driving any vacuum braked loco, but especially a steam engine was driving approach a station at speed then stopping at the precise spot you are supposed to be , usually next to the water column . It’s absolutely nothing at all like driving a car. Clive told me that one of the big problems was on the 12 coach electrics at Waterloo where some of the platforms are a only just long enough to get the whole train in. It meant running in at 20mph and applying the brakes as you pass the platform ends which would bring you to a stop 6 feet from the buffers and that just gets the whole train in . A bit scary though if all the brakes are not working properly which often they are not ! 
One of the little details that modellers often don’t pay attention to on exhibition layouts , I think it realistic stopping . It’s very easy on a model to just turn the controller back if you are running in too fast but it looks far more realistic to think about how the real ones stop . It’s the same with coupling up , as we leaned on Clives course, you have to approach barely at a walking pace but so often at exhibitions I see a loco driven in too fast and giving the train a good clout. These little details can make a model far more realistic in its operation.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
7 hours ago, great northern said:

One lonely plonk, all alone in a folder where everything else has been posted. Similar to one you have seen, but here it is anyway.

358258404_15plonk15.JPG.138fa55743f5630cd44b23bd92a8727a.JPG

Love this one. Feels like early on a Sunday morning, nobody about, but there is still life in it

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
2 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

‘tis a nice portrait of No.7.  Is it due for Timming soon?  Those shots of Quicksilver show the marque of the master of weathering that’s for sure.

It has already been Timmed Tony, but it was one of his earlier jobs. Actually, when I looked at that image, my first thought was that he will now ask if he can have number 7 back for an upgrade! There are still a couple of totally untimmed ones in the queue before we can start thinking about that, though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Even more so with replacement signals. To that end:

DSC00639.JPG.b499c2dc14ce0d7b4e499f14dcfb35bf.JPG

DSC00640.JPG.f896813a7bca8dccec5cc0db997cecc3.JPG

They're now under way! Keep you posted; hopefully won't take too long (says he ...)

Can't come too soon Graham! Can I book the next commission slot now?  The one on the Down platform is really starting to irritate me.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Can't come too soon Graham! Can I book the next commission slot now?  The one on the Down platform is really starting to irritate me.

This one, you mean?

429772971_PNsignal.jpg.d4267f096bb8793e14968713bec66eb8.jpg

I think I should be able to slot that one in to the next batch - relatively straightforward compared to the current two (says he ...)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

This one, you mean?

429772971_PNsignal.jpg.d4267f096bb8793e14968713bec66eb8.jpg

I think I should be able to slot that one in to the next batch - relatively straightforward compared to the current two (says he ...)

That's very good news Graham. I now need to confirm once and for all whether it was upper or lower quadrant in the summer of 58. If the latter, it will be a NE feature, which is highly appropriate.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Even more so with replacement signals. To that end:

DSC00639.JPG.b499c2dc14ce0d7b4e499f14dcfb35bf.JPG

DSC00640.JPG.f896813a7bca8dccec5cc0db997cecc3.JPG

They're now under way! Keep you posted; hopefully won't take too long (says he ...)

They look brilliant. What material is it, and is it a kit? If it is a kit, who from?

Lloyd

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

They look brilliant. What material is it, and is it a kit? If it is a kit, who from?

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

All parts are from the ever-excellent former-MSE range, available through Wizard Models. What I've assembled so far are the lattice base posts - two brass etches per pack, each folded through 90 degrees then soldered together to form the square post. To that, I've added a length of 0.8mm L-shaped brass strip down each edge which both strengthens the structure and gives a more realistic appearance.

The bracket pieces are however the exception here. There isn't a part in the MSE range quite of that shape (there is a double bracket etch but it's a different shape). For the previous signal, I soldered them up from individual bar strip but these ones I had made specially on the back of some other etching requirements.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2