Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

‘tis a nice portrait of No.7.  Is it due for Timming soon?  Those shots of Quicksilver show the marque of the master of weathering that’s for sure.

It has already been Timmed Tony, but it was one of his earlier jobs. Actually, when I looked at that image, my first thought was that he will now ask if he can have number 7 back for an upgrade! There are still a couple of totally untimmed ones in the queue before we can start thinking about that, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Even more so with replacement signals. To that end:

DSC00639.JPG.b499c2dc14ce0d7b4e499f14dcfb35bf.JPG

DSC00640.JPG.f896813a7bca8dccec5cc0db997cecc3.JPG

They're now under way! Keep you posted; hopefully won't take too long (says he ...)

Can't come too soon Graham! Can I book the next commission slot now?  The one on the Down platform is really starting to irritate me.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Can't come too soon Graham! Can I book the next commission slot now?  The one on the Down platform is really starting to irritate me.

This one, you mean?

429772971_PNsignal.jpg.d4267f096bb8793e14968713bec66eb8.jpg

I think I should be able to slot that one in to the next batch - relatively straightforward compared to the current two (says he ...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

This one, you mean?

I think I should be able to slot that one in to the next batch - relatively straightforward compared to the current two (says he ...)

That's very good news Graham. I now need to confirm once and for all whether it was upper or lower quadrant in the summer of 58. If the latter, it will be a NE feature, which is highly appropriate.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Even more so with replacement signals. To that end:

DSC00639.JPG.b499c2dc14ce0d7b4e499f14dcfb35bf.JPG

DSC00640.JPG.f896813a7bca8dccec5cc0db997cecc3.JPG

They're now under way! Keep you posted; hopefully won't take too long (says he ...)

They look brilliant. What material is it, and is it a kit? If it is a kit, who from?

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

They look brilliant. What material is it, and is it a kit? If it is a kit, who from?

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

All parts are from the ever-excellent former-MSE range, available through Wizard Models. What I've assembled so far are the lattice base posts - two brass etches per pack, each folded through 90 degrees then soldered together to form the square post. To that, I've added a length of 0.8mm L-shaped brass strip down each edge which both strengthens the structure and gives a more realistic appearance.

The bracket pieces are however the exception here. There isn't a part in the MSE range quite of that shape (there is a double bracket etch but it's a different shape). For the previous signal, I soldered them up from individual bar strip but these ones I had made specially on the back of some other etching requirements.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2020 at 22:44, LNER4479 said:

This one, you mean?

Update Graham. I have found a photo which definitely shows the signal as being upper quadrant. It is alleged to be taken in 1961, but wasn't, as the loco has the useless small deflectors which would have been removed when it went for overhaul in February 60. So now I have to trace the book in which I read details about it, to see if it happened between July 58 and Feb 60.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff with the West Riding Gilbert.  What is the provenance of the restaurant twin if you don’t mind me asking?  Was admiring Andy’s various twins on Gresley Junction.  One day I hope to create the pre fire version.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Lovely stuff with the West Riding Gilbert.  What is the provenance of the restaurant twin if you don’t mind me asking?  Was admiring Andy’s various twins on Gresley Junction.  One day I hope to create the pre fire version.

Cheers

Tony

I'm about to do something dangerous now, and rely on memory. Helped by Jonathan W, I was able to get Danny Pinnock to do some of his etches, which then went to Ian Willets to turn them into what you see here. They were actually for the LNER rake, and so had West Riding on the etches, which Ian succeeded in removing!

• Thanks 1