Peterborough North

great northern

15 hours ago, drmditch said:

It's a shame that Gannets and Fulmars weren't used, ...

Ahem ...

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p535766136/h499E3E84#h499e3e84

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I agree but for a different reason - given that one was named Herring Gull, why name another after the same generic type of bird?

Like I say, running out of ideas ...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Best A3 name please.

Oh, Gilbert - far too many to choose from!

But of course - for me - it can only be:

LNER4479! Perhaps better known to you as 60110 'Robert the Devil'

(According to Wikipedia, the origin of the name given to the racehorse involved could have been 'Robert the Magnificent', Duke of Normandy and the father - albeit illegitimately - of William the Conqueror of 1066 fame. With a back story like that, the name of 4479/60110 only grows on me!)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

39 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Ahem ...

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p535766136/h499E3E84#h499e3e84

Like I say, running out of ideas ...

Whoops - sorry. Forgot to check.

But you surely can't complain about Gannets (unless you are a fish of course!)

A bit pre-occupied with more bridge girders.

Re: A3 names - Centenary please (what with the bi-centenary coming up).

Edited by drmditch

Some wonderful names and some curious ones but naming express locos after racehorses was an inspired moved likely to turn up some curiosities.

As a child, I was enthralled by Henry Charles Webster's book "Legend of a Locomotive", so I have to cast my vote in accordance with my forum name, Papyrus.  A great shame she was not preserved, though I believe her driving wheels still turn but under 4472.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The A3 list is littered with fine names for a loco, but possibly Coronach is as good as any. The links with the best bloodstock strikes me as a very good theme for a railway that had so much fine, high-speed trackage. I regret I find this to be a much better "fit" than the birds in A4 etc. Birds and seabirds may be magnificent to watch, but how many actually go very far from home? For a railway with so many trains joining the capitals of England and Scotland, homebirds resonate oddly. 

BTW, if you wish to buy a racehorse and enter it, the Jockey Club requires it to be registered, and Weatherbys are the firm to do this on their behalf. They will run your proposed name through their database to ensure no similar name is currently in training. While offensive names will be rejected, humorous ones may not be, hence in recent decades 'Dig Up St Edmunds' and 'Give Back Calais'. However, some owners try a different tack, which is sometimes allowed and then regretted. Imagine the commentators' nightmare of having to identify two from the '90s - 'Joe Blob' and 'Mary Hinge'. I believe the owner was told retrospectively they would need to be renamed....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

BTW, if you wish to buy a racehorse and enter it, the Jockey Club requires it to be registered, and Weatherbys are the firm to do this on their behalf. They will run your proposed name through their database to ensure no similar name is currently in training. While offensive names will be rejected, humorous ones may not be, hence in recent decades 'Dig Up St Edmunds' and 'Give Back Calais'. However, some owners try a different tack, which is sometimes allowed and then regretted. Imagine the commentators' nightmare of having to identify two from the '90s - 'Joe Blob' and 'Mary Hinge'. I believe the owner was told retrospectively they would need to be renamed....

:offtopic:

Hoof Hearted was one that escaped close scrutiny in recent years  :victory:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

The A3 list is littered with fine names for a loco, but possibly Coronach is as good as any. The links with the best bloodstock strikes me as a very good theme for a railway that had so much fine, high-speed trackage. I regret I find this to be a much better "fit" than the birds in A4 etc. Birds and seabirds may be magnificent to watch, but how many actually go very far from home? For a railway with so many trains joining the capitals of England and Scotland, homebirds resonate oddly. 

Although I'm not particular 'in' to it as a sport, I did once happen to chance upon the horse-racing museum at Newmarket. It was brilliant - the walls were littered with A3 names!!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

Papyrus.   Because it was such a fine engine.

Wasn't it 108mph... ?

2750_A3_portrait60_2abcde1_r1820.jpg.f4d20ca218c603702a5b0d93f68b04f4.jpg

Actually I was looking for a pic of her as 60096 in 1958-63 form and then I realised that 60504 as illustrated recently by you Gilbert is in fact very good looking, rather nice in fact.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 5