Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

W31 Chale. Cabbed at Brading in August 1965, when I was 9 years old. We were staying at a holiday camp in St Helens (nowadays it would be called a resort, but 55-and-a-half years ago it was definitely a holiday camp) and Dad decided we would go to Shanklin for the evening, by train. That was my last trip behind ordinary working BR steam (there weren't very many before that, to be honest).

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The local heritage Railway on the IOW have renamed their loco The Needles in appreciation of the Vaccines.

Was there ever a locomotive called Incorrigible?  If so, did they have you in mind?:jester:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

The local heritage Railway on the IOW have renamed their loco The Needles in appreciation of the Vaccines.

Too good for the 'groan' button (if we still had one), so duly accorded a 'round of applause'. Nice one, Duckie.

Now then, Isle of Wight Steam Locomotives. An interesting list here:

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/IsleofWightSteam.htm

Seems it was a complex history, in terms of different types of locos going back in time and names being transferred ... I think what today's poll boils down to is 'name your favourite place on the Isle of Wight'.

I've only been once! More memorable than 'favourite' was Shanklin. From pictures, a wonderful terminus station, straight out of a tunnel from the fiddle yard. Wouldn't it be great if the railway ran back in to there? In a fit of empathy, the bus we were on expired up a rather steep hill out of the town and we had to be hastily evacuated amidst smoke coming from the back of the bus! We walked the rest of the way to Sandown.

So, whether its Beyer Peacock 1864-built 2-4-0T No.W14 (w/d 11/1927) or LSWR 1892-built O2 0-0-4T No.W20 (w/d 12/1966) , my vote goes to:

SHANKLIN

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Was there ever a locomotive called Incorrigible?  If so, did they have you in mind?:jester:

Irresistible and indefatigable perhaps?

Hey - a whole new category of poll: loco name that best describes Mr Duck ... or anyone on here for that matter. That could run for a long time ... and get a lot of people into a lot of trouble. We'll need a good lawyer to preside over it all ...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to W35 "Freshwater" as it was the last steam loco to take us to Ventnor in Autumn 1966 and was relatively well groomed in my pictures.

1947105509_Ventnor4.jpg.abf53d0b1583468560ceeb285d1a77f3.jpg

The evidence. A poor print - my home processing wasn't that marvellous as a 16 year old!

We also definitely saw W31 "Chale" that day, but it was almost unidentifiable under the grime (others were unidentifiable in my pictures taken that day).

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Added picture
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, great northern said:

How about a poll for names which could have been carried by a genuine locomotive class?  (There was something like this for Westerns some time ago.)  Incorrigible could have been a Jubilee or Warship.

In my head there lurks a Southern layout.  Obviously, the Southern would have built more large express locos so my top link would be Lord Hornblower, Sir Richard Bolitho, Lord Ramage, Aubrey-Maturin and (mixing genres), Sir Hubert Guest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Today we are off to the Isle of Wight. Best name of that island's locos please.

Charming though the Isle of Wight and its history of steam locos undoubtedly are (yes, I've got RTR models of Terriers and O2s...), I'm afraid that none of them fascinate me as much as the use of redundant Underground stock on the Island.  

Which is a long-winded way of abstaining from this particular poll...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Too good for the 'groan' button (if we still had one), so duly accorded a 'round of applause'. Nice one, Duckie.

Now then, Isle of Wight Steam Locomotives. An interesting list here:

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/IsleofWightSteam.htm

Seems it was a complex history, in terms of different types of locos going back in time and names being transferred ... I think what today's poll boils down to is 'name your favourite place on the Isle of Wight'.

I've only been once! More memorable than 'favourite' was Shanklin. From pictures, a wonderful terminus station, straight out of a tunnel from the fiddle yard. Wouldn't it be great if the railway ran back in to there? In a fit of empathy, the bus we were on expired up a rather steep hill out of the town and we had to be hastily evacuated amidst smoke coming from the back of the bus! We walked the rest of the way to Sandown.

So, whether its Beyer Peacock 1864-built 2-4-0T No.W14 (w/d 11/1927) or LSWR 1892-built O2 0-0-4T No.W20 (w/d 12/1966) , my vote goes to:

SHANKLIN

Ventnor, shirley?

• Like 2