Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'll go for Ellerman LInes.

My reason is that I was able to see the loco being sectioned and prepared for the NRM as my late father managed the business where much of the work was done.

It's one of the few locos that I can honestly say I know what all the parts look like and how they fit together.

David

I vaguely remember seeing it at Bill McAlpine's railway at Market Overton. I was with a party from the railway at Whipsnade and another vague(!) recollection from the outing is of riding in open wagons pulled by an industrial saddle tank on a steep gradient. It was the first time I'd seen a smokebox door actually glow red... Come to think of it,  I've seen a few burnt ones since but none that glowed like that one!

I would have been about 19 at the time and it was winter, so 1973/4?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

New Zealand Line for me. For no other reason that I once had a girlfriend from Auckland who was totally nuts. I would have married her but her ex rocked up from NZ and messed it all up. Still I got over it and the girl I ended up with has been my wife for 26 years this May. 

Regards Lez.  

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 4

The latest copy of BRM arrived this morning and went into the quarantine box.  I am looking forward to reading about PN on Saturday.  Incidentally, does anyone know if Archie Andrews' tutor took the name Peter Brough from the town? (How strange those times were: a ventriloquist with a long-running radio programme.)

I have always admired Oliver Bulleid's attempts, not always successful, to modernise the design, manufacture, operation and servicing of the steam-age railway, of which the MNs were a very visible manifestation.  One of two full colour booklets, approx A4 landscape, which brightened my childhood, featured the latest products of the Big 4, including Channel Packet, so she has to be my nomination.

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes for the "Flannel Jacket" - aka 35001 Channel Packet.

I had some good runs behind the MNs - once they stopped slipping and found their feet - but most of the names were a bit un-inspiring.

The best - most thrilling ! - run was from Basingstoke to Woking one Friday evening in July 1967, on the Watercress train (3 or 4 coaches and a number of bogie vans). The crew just gave the loco its head and we definitely did a significant number of miles at over 100 m.p.h. on the stretch up through Fleet - very stirring stuff.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

P & O.

When visiting Toddington many years ago, I was wandering around the shed, and one of the P&O team invited me to climb up and have a look.  At the time the boiler was out, so it was possible to stand on the frames where the boiler would normally be.

Adrian

9 hours ago, SJR said:

New Zealand Line for me too. Unpatriotic to choose any other however, having worked for the post office, Royal Mail would be my second choice.

New Zealand Line for me too, for the same reason.  I also like Royal Mail, they have sent so many nice 00 models to me over the years!

• Like 3

G'Day Folks

For me it has to be P&O, as I had a trip to Australia on the Arcadia, 1964, and another trip to the UK on the Orcades in 1970, after that it was  airplanes, quick, but not so much fun.

manna

• Like 2

I think I'll go for 35004 'Cunard White Star'. The Cunard name lives on to this day and seems (to me at least) to be synonymous with luxury top end ocean liners. A trip on one of their boats is on the 'to do' list.

(apparently the 'White Star' bit was due to a merger with the ill-fated former rival in the 1930s. That part of the name disappeared in 1950) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

I take it you read my experience of going around the Isle of White in a landing craft a few days ago. Not something I would recommend in even a slightly choppy sea. 

I missed that Clive, but I can imagine it would be bouncy and rather cold! My most interesting experience of the Needles involved drifting towards them with our spinnaker wrapped round the prop shaft and therefore no way of powering the boat. I ended up going down the bathing ladder with a knife and cutting the very expensive spinnaker off and we got the motor going just in time. It was 15 years ago but still fresh in my memory!

Sorry to veer off topic Gilbert.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I have just uploaded March 2021 BRM which features, you've guessed it, Peterborough North!

How incredible!   Why, when I were lad we had to wait 6 months for magazines from England...   and now i shall have a pleasant read and near-instant gratification. The sub-title mentioned 'eccentricities' in PN. Surely not?  :)

• Like 5

I do like a Bulleid pacific. Not sure about a preferred Merchant Navy but I will go with Cunard White Star. It has been nice to see Cunard ships out in Weymouth Bay though obviously for the saddest of reasons. 

We sometimes have up to nine liners out in the bay of various lines. Some of them come into Portland Harbour but not the Cunard ones. Every so often we see the liners sailing off round Portland only to return a few days later.

According to what I've read ships crews around the world in these situation are, in many cases not being well treated.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Well I have just uploaded March 2021 BRM which features, you've guessed it, Peterborough North!

How incredible!   Why, when I were lad we had to wait 6 months for magazines from England...   and now i shall have a pleasant read and near-instant gratification. The sub-title mentioned 'eccentricities' in PN. Surely not?  :)

The eccentricities of the real thing was the point they were making, and there were plenty of them.

11 minutes ago, great northern said:

The eccentricities of the real thing was the point they were making, and there were plenty of them.

Indeed and your introductory comments regarding the layout of the slow lines and the up fast in particular makes me wonder how trains ever kept time in the area!

Here is a screen grab from the closing part of the article, low res to suit the box brownie I would have had in 1959 at least...

A2_3_Image1.jpg.08376156e0d3ad4df6beae6027eb2634.jpg

Your compositions are a joy, Gilbert.  I can see many A2/2s and A2/3s from Hornby being bought by people inspired by these scenes. 

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ellerman Lines.

We stopped off at York on our way to the Highlands one year when we only had our eldest who was 4 at the time. When we got round to Ellerman Lines it was "The coal from the tender is burnt in here (pointing at the fire box) which heats up the water in here (pointing at the boiler) which turns in to steam and there is a thing up there (pointing at the regulator in the dome) that lets the steam come into these (point at the cylinders) which push the wheels around and it is then shoved up the chimney which causes the hot air from the fire to be dragged through here (pointing at the boiler) making more steam."  Whoops I thought what have I done with this kid as a group of older people looked on with the mouths wide open.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive, I had a similar experience when explaining those inner workings to our two sons. I suddenly realised that as we worked our way along the engine a group had assembled behind us and as we moved, they followed, closely!

The things we parents do!

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Hi Clive, I had a similar experience when explaining those inner workings to our two sons. I suddenly realised that as we worked our way along the engine a group had assembled behind us and as we moved, they followed, closely!

The things we parents do!

Hi Bazza

It was my eldest telling everyone not me.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Whoops I though what have I done with this kid as a group of older people looked on with the mouths wide open.

You brought him up proper, that's wot you done, innit!

Much better than have him explain how a smelly ol' box on wheels works ...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3