Peterborough North

great northern

12 hours ago, great northern said:

I think I mentioned when we chatted the other day that the Elizabethan rake needs attention, and that the bogies will be going off to be rebuilt. The BG is in fact already without bogies, hence its absence. However, up it came on the sequence, so I just posed it for photography, not bothering to get things in the correct order. Laziness rules as always. The roundels? Another example of my not giving a detailed enough specification to the builder. I'm afraid their lack just isn't irritating enough to me to cause me to do anything about it.

Thanks Gilbert,

When we can next meet up, I'll bring over some roundel transfers. They take moments to put in place.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bother!. This thread move so fast and I been otherwise occupied over the last two days!

I would have asked for:-

Leamside (may happen)

SDLUR (that's the Stainmore Route)

Leeds Northern

• Like 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Leeds Northern the runaway winner with 7 votes. How about lines between Leeds Bradford and Manchester, including all those around Queensbury?

Struggling a bit will this one. Given that Woodhead doesn't really count as Leeds-Manchester, the other principal trans-Pennine route are all still open (I think?). Lines in and around Leeds Bradford are incredibly complicated - whether any of the closed ones qualify as stupid / short-sighted closures I couldn't really say.

So, at risk of being ruled 'out', I'll go for the missing link of a slightly more obscure - but still valid? - Leeds-Manchester  route, being the lost link between Colne and Skipton. Survived until 1968 at least, as some of the end of steam specials went that way.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, great northern said:

With 13 on, Mons Meg is standing well clear of the platform, while a B1 arrives with the FO 1230 Grimsby-KX.

210966574_3504and1190.JPG.99b848d97f367102bfce4fe5a177a8c8.JPG

A couple or so of observations, if I may, please? 

These are offered as constructive criticisms. 

Firstly, I hope MONS MEG is still running OK after I sorted out the shorting problems a couple of years ago. 

I know it's built from a Crownline kit, and, because of this, the cab proportions are wrong. The horizontal handrail is much too low, which means the numbers are too low, which squeezes the worksplate down. The only answer (other than making a new cab) is to 'artificially' raise the horizontal handrail up (which puts it closer to the cab windows than it really should be). 

I hope the following picture illustrates this................1129858489_6050404.jpg.ca054f54879e5b5481371c252ade77f4.jpg

Though still not 'correct', the effect is that the numbers are where they should be on the cabside. 

I built this from the same kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it.

Thirdly, the nameplates on your model are too far back on the smokebox (it's more visible in the earlier pictures you posted). The inner edge should be just forward of the outside steampipes (see the wonderful picture of 60504, at Peterborough North, on the 22nd September 1958 in Jarrold's Railway Series, 4 Locomotives of the London and North Eastern Railway).

Why the shorter nameplate were moved forward later in the locos' lives has never been recorded, but it's an accurate way of dating pictures of the class. 

Fourthly, the lion is facing the wrong way on the tender. With the later device, it always faced left on the LH side of tanks/tenders. 

I know you're very diligent in your research but it seems you've got another example of less-than-diligent research on the part of a commission. 

With best wishes,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple or so of observations, if I may, please? 

These are offered as constructive criticisms. 

Firstly, I hope MONS MEG is still running OK after I sorted out the shorting problems a couple of years ago. 

I know it's built from a Crownline kit, and, because of this, the cab proportions are wrong. The horizontal handrail is much too low, which means the numbers are too low, which squeezes the worksplate down. The only answer (other than making a new cab) is to 'artificially' raise the horizontal handrail up (which puts it closer to the cab windows than it really should be). 

I hope the following picture illustrates this................1129858489_6050404.jpg.ca054f54879e5b5481371c252ade77f4.jpg

Though still not 'correct', the effect is that the numbers are where they should be on the cabside. 

I built this from the same kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it.

Thirdly, the nameplates on your model are too far back on the smokebox (it's more visible in the earlier pictures you posted). The inner edge should be just forward of the outside steampipes (see the wonderful picture of 60504, at Peterborough North, on the 22nd September 1958 in Jarrold's Railway Series, 4 Locomotives of the London and North Eastern Railway).

Why the shorter nameplate were moved forward later in the locos' lives has never been recorded, but it's an accurate way of dating pictures of the class. 

Fourthly, the lion is facing the wrong way on the tender. With the later device, it always faced left on the LH side of tanks/tenders. 

I know you're very diligent in your research but it seems you've got another example of less-than-diligent research on the part of a commission. 

With best wishes,

Tony. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm a lot more diligent now than I used to be, and this, from nine or so years ago, just proves it. I do my own research now, aided by Tim, but I left it to the builder back then. Shows how observant I'm not, doesn't it, when I say that I'd never spotted the errant emblem until now.

No problems with shorting now, I'm pleased to say, but she struggled a little with 13 on. The trouble is of course that my trains never get up to a speed where they have got some real momentum.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/03/2021 at 08:50, great northern said:

The Elizabethan now appears, but 60012 is running a little late. It is timed to come through just before the Grimsby leaves.

365218508_212.JPG.865e3e02166fae1158349f5d9df26fc2.JPG

If the Elizabethan is a few minutes late and Mons Meg is on time with the 1.45 Ex- Kings Cross it must be a few minutes after 3 o’clock so there is just enough time to finish our Tizer and update our Ian Allans before the Flying Scotsman comes through in a little over half an hour. I hope Gateshead put something decent on the front and give it a decent clean to make our wait worthwhile.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm with Red Leader on this one.  The Queensbury route would have been an interesting journey, but I'm not sure closing it was a stupid mistake.  Likewise there were plenty of other routes around the area, now gone, but probably not really missed.  Skipton-Colne would fit the bill.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Struggling a bit will this one. Given that Woodhead doesn't really count as Leeds-Manchester, the other principal trans-Pennine route are all still open (I think?). Lines in and around Leeds Bradford are incredibly complicated - whether any of the closed ones qualify as stupid / short-sighted closures I couldn't really say.

So, at risk of being ruled 'out', I'll go for the missing link of a slightly more obscure - but still valid? - Leeds-Manchester  route, being the lost link between Colne and Skipton. Survived until 1968 at least, as some of the end of steam specials went that way.

I came to much the same conclusion, Graham, so after deciding not to nominate Woodhead for the third time I was going to pass on this round. Skipton - Colne is an interesting choice so, if the Pollmeister rules it in, I'll pick that too.

• RMweb Premium

Well. that was a non event, wasn't it?  Skipton to Colne 5 votes, and basically nothing else. No stupid closures around Leeds. I wonder if we'd get different views if we asked local people?

Anyway, safer ground today, and perhaps a foregone conclusion. Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

• RMweb Gold

My relative ignorance of railways north of Potters Bar and Watford means I have offered few suggestions in recent polls, but I think here I might be more confident, and suggest the severing of the former route from Ambergate to Chinley, route of the Blue Pullman. Implausibly, I did manage to catch a train from Manchester to St Pancras in 2004, but it ran almost into Sheffield to get there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Anyway, safer ground today, and perhaps a foregone conclusion. Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

Well, certainly from me - has to be the Midland Railway's stunning Peak District mainline through the heart of today's national park, taking in the iconic locations of Monsal Head and Millers Dale.

These days, when the Settle & Carlisle is (deservedly) feted as the Midland's piece de resistance, it's easy to forget that the Peak route was just as much a demanding task and notable achievement. Moreover, I've a sneaking feeling that it contributed rather more to the MR's and later LMS coffers than the route to Carlisle ever did. Such is the fickle nature of railway fate.

It's a compelling thought that it's actually only the central 12 miles (from Rowsley to Peak Forest Junction) that's completely disused. By contrast, the recently reopened Waverley route involved some 30 miles of reconstruction. Just saying ...

For any who's wondering what all the fuss is about, watch and enjoy this remarkable piece of film footage that I stumbled across recently:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-through-millers-dale-near-buxton-derbyshire-midland-railway-1898-online

MP160a (BFI still).jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gotta go with the flow, the Midland line to Manchester.

Did think of the GNR  Derbyshire and Staffordshire extension line but one has to remain true to one's bestest railway.

• Like 2

So did I - but I was reminded of the over-arching criteria of 'stupid and short-sighted' closures. I'm not sure that could be levelled at the GNR's rather brave foray into the Staffordshire dairy fields, certainly once we went all nationalised.

A similar interesting route was the LNWR line north from Uttoxeter to Buxton, which, in conjunction with the link to Burton, provide a rather novel alternative for the London-Buxton traveller. Again, though, something of a basket case post war.

And as for the Cromford and High Peak railway ... !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, certainly from me - has to be the Midland Railway's stunning Peak District mainline through the heart of today's national park, taking in the iconic locations of Monsal Head and Millers Dale.

These days, when the Settle & Carlisle is (deservedly) feted as the Midland's piece de resistance, it's easy to forget that the Peak route was just as much a demanding task and notable achievement. Moreover, I've a sneaking feeling that it contributed rather more to the MR's and later LMS coffers than the route to Carlisle ever did. Such is the fickle nature of railway fate.

It's a compelling thought that it's actually only the central 12 miles (from Rowsley to Peak Forest Junction) that's completely disused. By contrast, the recently reopened Waverley route involved some 30 miles of reconstruction. Just saying ...

For any who's wondering what all the fuss is about, watch and enjoy this remarkable piece of film footage that I stumbled across recently:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-through-millers-dale-near-buxton-derbyshire-midland-railway-1898-online

MP160a (BFI still).jpg

That is a stunning piece of film. not a part of the country I know at all, perhaps I need to change that.

Martyn

• Agree 1