Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Phil,

Hornby have introduced a decent gangwayed Gresley. The BG is, as far as I’m concerned, very good - certainly better than any kit built Gresley that I could produce. They have corrected the tumblehome and beading issues which are the main complaints.

As I’ve said many times (and been shot down for it), I don’t expect them to revisit the diagrams they’ve already produced - the market would be pretty small as most punters probably don’t care too much about the issues with the current coaches. I do wish they’d introduce a greater range of diagrams. An RF/ SO pair, a BSK, a D.186 TSO and some EV diagrams would be fantastic!

Perhaps if Hattons were to announce it that would spur Hornby into action?!

Andy

Of course, my apologies, I had forgotten the improved shape on the BG. Sadly I model one of the other superior main lines in the west so know not a lot about ER stuff, other than here and some other lovely layouts.  However I have built quite a lot of ER Coaches for folk in the past; I actually painted some (Maroon...easy job).

The D186 would be useful for me too; Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth SO Summer 1960- 1962.

We can only hope eh?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Of course, my apologies, I had forgotten the improved shape on the BG. Sadly I model one of the other superior main lines in the west so know not a lot about ER stuff, other than here and some other lovely layouts.  However I have built quite a lot of ER Coaches for folk in the past; I actually painted some (Maroon...easy job).

The D186 would be useful for me too; Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth SO Summer 1960- 1962.

We can only hope eh?

P

I need six D186s to form the Plant Centenarian railtour stock! While I enjoy kit building, six of the same vehicle gets a bit boring. It’s interesting that Hattons chose a D.186 to do in O gauge as one of the three diagrams they do. The others were the same as Hornby - all door SK and BCK(2-4). Not the easiest selection from which to form a complete rake!

I’m sure you could find an excuse for a Gresley BG, they were almost as omnipresent as the southern four wheeled vans!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Phil,

Hornby have introduced a decent gangwayed Gresley. The BG is, as far as I’m concerned, very good - certainly better than any kit built Gresley that I could produce. They have corrected the tumblehome and beading issues which are the main complaints.

As I’ve said many times (and been shot down for it), I don’t expect them to revisit the diagrams they’ve already produced - the market would be pretty small as most punters probably don’t care too much about the issues with the current coaches. I do wish they’d introduce a greater range of diagrams. An RF/ SO pair, a BSK, a D.186 TSO and some EV diagrams would be fantastic!

Perhaps if Hattons were to announce it that would spur Hornby into action?!

Andy

You know my views about all the Hornby Gresleys except the BG. Will they do more? I doubt it. I would expect a streamliner formation, if anything, if the current trend is followed. If they did other diagrams to the better standard as the BG, that would really show up the existing ones, wouldn't it? As you say though, how many punters would care/notice?

I've managed to get enough TSOs, but I'm well short of Dia 115 seconds that look like the real thing. Steve always looks relieved when I ask for another EV one instead.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

You know my views about all the Hornby Gresleys except the BG. Will they do more? I doubt it. I would expect a streamliner formation, if anything, if the current trend is followed. If they did other diagrams to the better standard as the BG, that would really show up the existing ones, wouldn't it? As you say though, how many punters would care/notice?

I've managed to get enough TSOs, but I'm well short of Dia 115 seconds that look like the real thing. Steve always looks relieved when I ask for another EV one instead.

I sympathise with that - all that door furniture is a right PITA!  That’s why I will continue to use the Hornby D.115s despite their faults. Life’s too short!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Only two candidates yesterday. Bangor to Caernarvon and Afon Wen won 4-3.

Today we will look at Notthinghmashire and Lincolnshire. Nottinghamshire has one of the most glaringly stupid examples of all, and if no-one gets it I may throw all my toys out of the pram, and take my bat and ball home too.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I need six D186s to form the Plant Centenarian railtour stock! While I enjoy kit building, six of the same vehicle gets a bit boring. It’s interesting that Hattons chose a D.186 to do in O gauge as one of the three diagrams they do. The others were the same as Hornby - all door SK and BCK(2-4). Not the easiest selection from which to form a complete rake!

I’m sure you could find an excuse for a Gresley BG, they were almost as omnipresent as the southern four wheeled vans!

Have you considered brass side conversions dear heart? Outsource the sides to certain 'volunteers' (I know of two very kind Gentlemen.) You alter the RTRs for correct end profile, roof stuff and undergubbins, receive the sides ready for painting etc, get loads of Evostick ready and Robert is your relative. Alternatively, you could do two coaches and outsource the other 4 sets? Spring Project and completed by June 21st so you can rush outside and announce to the World that you have your Plant Set! (Oh yes, conversions are a lot lighter than full kits as you know :D)

Naughty Duck from 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
Spellin'
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You can't have the whole of the London extension in a poll relating to one county! Dudders is getting closer, but there is an even closer example than that. And wot about the lovely and not all flat county of Lincolnshire?

• RMweb Gold

The Great Central for me too.

In the late 1950s I used to travel to school in Nottingham on it.

David

Edit - as the GC in general is not allowed I'm changing my mind - I'll do a new post.

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

David

15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

David

Right, local knowledge here. Think more locally David. Very locally, in fact.

Grimsby to Firsby South Junction, then Sleaford Junction, Boston to Spalding North.  Even now the A16 despite all its improvements cannot cope, especially in Boston.

As for Nottinghamshire, Nottingham Victoria and its connections. No doubt LMR management at Derby, just looked at the costs of maintaining viaducts and tunnels over the practicality of actual routes accessed by the GC.

Paul

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Sorry, not allowing the whole London extension. There are other candidates, both in Notts and Lincs.

OK, so it's an abstention from me on the grounds of lack of local knowledge.  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have you considered brass side conversions dear heart? Outsource the sides to certain 'volunteers' (I know of two very kind Gentlemen.) You alter the RTRs for correct end profile, roof stuff and undergubbins, receive the sides ready for painting etc, get loads of Evostick ready and Robert is your relative. Alternatively, you could do two coaches and outsource the other 4 sets? Spring Project and completed by June 21st so you can rush outside and announce to the World that you have your Plant Set! (Oh yes, conversions are a lot lighter than full kits as you know :D)

Naughty Duck from 36E

That’s probably how I will do it....eventually. Although if I get any Kirk ones off eBay that may change my mind. I’ve done several brass donor side jobs already but they’re not quick, so it won’t be for June 21st! Definitely a long term project.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a second attempt to add my selection as the GCR is disallowed.  I don't know what happened to the post I just tried to add to the thread.

I will go for the Midland line from Nottingham to Melton Mowbray.  Trains using it must have been the first ones I ever saw as where I was born overlooked the line.

Other candidates, if more than one was allowed, would be the GN line fron Nottingham Victoria to Derby, along with the Nottingham suburban railway, even though the latter was a white elephant and closed long before Beeching was thought of.

Another one would be the passenger service on the Erewash Valley line, I think most of my trips on it were on diverted trains either via Trent Junctions or Radford and Trowell Junctions.

As for Lincolnshire, I could do a long list! - so I'll refrain.

David

Edited by DaveF