Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Cheltenham was most mentioned in this poll, from there to Stratford winning with just 4 votes.

Now where?  My ducky mate asks for East Midlands, but we've done that really, I think. It is a lovely sunny day, so just right for a visit to Cornwall. Phil asked for that too.

Shame as I was going to suggest Northampton to Peterborough.

• RMweb Premium

Graham is right - a lot of Cornwall's railways are still open. However, despite what Ian says, taking the Duchy on its own I will nominate Launceston to Padstow (plus the other bit in England).

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Bodmin Road to Padstow is both scenic and served a true branch purpose form the GW main line, so I plump for that. 

Is that the one with that nice creeky bridge with somebody out walking their greyhound and three coaches? In which case, I'll plump for that one too. I've never been to Padstow. Sounds like a nice place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Of the lines in Cornwall that have closed I feel that Padstow -  Launceston - Okehampton  would be the most useful, although whether visitors to Padstein would use it is a debatable point as would be it's use in winter. However Newquay survives and has through services to London in the summer...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

I had two goes at this portrait of the Claud on its way out, and down to East.

562742015_112613leaving.JPG.59e31a5063a594f54a8482f1ae3680f2.JPG

1303201913_122613alt.JPG.fdb122670f79461b80992921c0d8d195.JPG

But I'm not really very happy with either of them.

Love the lower shot in this Gilbert

Andrew

• Agree 2

Having read Stephen Austin’s wonderful book on the Atlantic Coast Express 3 times I feel I have done the journey on the footplate so my vote also goes to Oakehampton - Padstow .  The only route in the country where you could see a pacific come off a prestigious named train,  then take a single coach local !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Of the lines in Cornwall that have closed I feel that Padstow -  Launceston - Okehampton  would be the most useful, although whether visitors to Padstein would use it is a debatable point as would be it's use in winter. However Newquay survives and has through services to London in the summer...

Newquay in summer still takes huge numbers of young people there by train, until the fares become unviable.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Padstow to Launceston was the clear winner in Cornwall. I was under the impression that Cornwall's railways had been decimated, but clearly I was wrong.

Is there a greater range of candidates in Devon?  I shall find out today. Short sighted rather than stupid might be a more appropriate criterion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Devon is much easier, as that Duckie chap had indicated in the previous poll. The ongoing King Canute stuff at Dawlish is unlikely to last forever, so the former SR route over Dartmoor may still be needed to keep Plymouth and Cornwall rail-connected to the rest of the nation. Apparently there was positive news about this in the Chancellor's speech last week, meaning trains from Exeter to Okehampton may be restored. From there to Bere Alston, then, is my suggestion. Rebuilding Meldon Viaduct would cost a good bit, though. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

44 minutes ago, great northern said:

Is there a greater range of candidates in Devon?  I shall find out today. Short sighted rather than stupid might be a more appropriate criterion.

I think there is (more candidates in Devon)

One perennial favourite for modellers is the branchline to Kingsbridge from Brent. I think it was 'just another' Beeching closure but it does strike me, looking at the map, that it leaves a large swathe of south west Devon nowhere near a railway. So it gets my vote for today.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Devon... Where to start!

However, I must go with Oldudders and suggest Exeter - Okehampton - Bere Alston. Having said that I wouldn't want to lug a suitcase up the hill from Okehampton town centre to the station.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Much more choice in Devon.  Some of my favourite walks are along the River Avon alongside remains of the Brent - Kingsbridge branch (the erstwhile Primrose Line).  I believe that a group of local councils had been persuaded to fund continued operation of the branch but BR had sold the track as scrap very quickly after closure so this initiative was stillborn.  (I must remember not to suspect malice when stupidity forms a perfectly adequate explanation).

There are other worthy candidate branch lines such as Newton Abbot - Bovey Tracey - Moretonhampstead, and Torrington but I think the biggest mistake must be the Exeter - Okehampton - Bere Alston main line closure.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Okey to Pymuff with upgrades to Exeter Okey and Bere Alston to St Budeaux. A genuine railway alternative route as well as becoming a truly great tourist railway.

Shuttle Bus link from Okey Town to the Station operated by the Railway.

Viaduct paid for by selling the Meldon site and creating a new Village there of posh houses or a Smart Hotel with extreme sports facilities using the Quarry. Cheaper than all the stuff along the Coast.

Yea.........

Great and genuine circular tour route for steam as well. Exeter and Plymouth as main Stations. Almost as clever as the Settle Railway support group. Facilities at Laira and St David's supported by NR and West Coast Railways, establishing a new base in the beautiful West Country. 

Sorted.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I think there is (more candidates in Devon)

One perennial favourite for modellers is the branchline to Kingsbridge from Brent. I think it was 'just another' Beeching closure but it does strike me, looking at the map, that it leaves a large swathe of south west Devon nowhere near a railway. So it gets my vote for today.

OK but building a new Parkway Station at Brent maybe a better option?

P

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Devon is much easier, as that Duckie chap had indicated in the previous poll. The ongoing King Canute stuff at Dawlish is unlikely to last forever, so the former SR route over Dartmoor may still be needed to keep Plymouth and Cornwall rail-connected to the rest of the nation. Apparently there was positive news about this in the Chancellor's speech last week, meaning trains from Exeter to Okehampton may be restored. From there to Bere Alston, then, is my suggestion. Rebuilding Meldon Viaduct would cost a good bit, though. 

Well said.

My vote also goes to the Exeter, Okehampton and Plymouth route round the top of Dartmoor.

However, we should also press for the inland route from Newton Abbot to Exeter via Heathfield in the longer term.

Regards

Chris H

• Round of applause 1