Peterborough North

great northern

If we ever get on to Mr McIntosh, he was responsible for the 'big brother' Caley 812/652 Class. They were 3F as opposed to the Drummond loco which was 2F. Both types however enjoyed the 'Jumbo' nickname. No.828 of the larger 3F type is a notable survivor, in working order at the Strathspey Railway, in glorious Caley blue livery.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of numbers built and longevity the Caledonian 294 / 711 class 0-6-0s were verd good.

However, my vote still goes to the LSWR T9 4-4-0s, which i rate as the most successful design of Dugald Drummond - they were "Fliers" as first designed then further improved by the Urie superheating.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

I cannot understand why you would do this. This is a personal and very precious image belonging to Tim Easter, taken by his father who died not long ago. Tim asked me specifically if I could try to reproduce it, using the loco which he had just sent to me, weathering done as on his father's image. It is personal to him, and to me, as it was taken on my layout. Frankly, I am disgusted, particularly as I have already discussed this sort of thing with you before. I do not wish to see you on this thread again.

I was not aware of the personal circumstances and Tim sending the B17 to you, weathered under such circumstances with express intentions in a matter which is of course private and personal. Nor was I aware of the bereavement and particular circumstances surrounding the creation of the image sent to you. My sincere apologies.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Crabs have been dealt with by Ointment; thanks everyone that was sending prayers.

"Doctor, do lobsters walk sideways or backwards?"

"Backwards, of course"

"Thanks goodness for that. I thought I had crabs".

I thank you.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Still up in the air, and swerving around with gay abandon, first we capture the J11 waiting in the bay.

Who is this Gay Abandon, and what are you two getting up to?

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Wrong spelling of two
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A Titanic struggle, Jumbo v T9. In the end, it was a dead heat. 6-6.

Feeling idle, I've let Graham do my research for me, so today we look for the most successful design of Mr McIntosh. We hadn't looked at the Caledonian anyway, so perhaps we should.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

A better (or more understandable) name for a racehorse than Gay Crusader?

As fas as I know, the word gay did not have the connotations it now has when that racehorse was named. Still a strange combination though. Makes me think of some bloke in armour who is very happy because he is going to chop up some Saracens later.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Feeling idle, I've let Graham do my research for me, so today we look for the most successful design of Mr McIntosh. We hadn't looked at the Caledonian anyway, so perhaps we should.

Ah, now if yer talking Mr McIntosh then he was responsible for the famous 'Dunalastair' 4-4-0s of 1896. Said to be one of the landmark 4-4-0 designs that set the blueprint for many other passenger types around the turn of the century and beyond, mainly due to use of a bigger, higher pressure boiler. So that is my vote for today.

Tempted by the 4-6-0 'Cardean' type but they appeared to be a victory of style over performance and the Dunalasatair were generally capable of doing much the same work.

Edited by LNER4479