Peterborough North

great northern

The late great Roy Jackson once told me that his favourite class of locomotive was the unrebuilt Merchant Navy. As Roy was known as an East Coast man this surprised me to say the least. I did wonder if he was just humouring me as I was building a Southern Region layout. However it would seem that at one point after Dunwich he was thinking of building a Southern layout based on Worting Junction.

However I like the original Merchant Navy and if it was good enough for Roy then it gets my vote.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No glamour votes this time, or not enough anyway. Q1 with 10 votes was well ahead of the Pacifics, which were split votes anyway.

Coming to the final few now, and today one of the best. Sir William Stanier, starting with his most successful passenger designs. Please note that there will be separate polls for mixed traffic designs and goods locomotives, so do not get ahead of yourselves. Anyone posting a reply which shows that they have not read all of this may be shot.:triniti:

Ah well,  if you're splitting the Stanier vote up like so then that's very easy - the 'Princess Coronation', to give his magnum opus their official class name. Also known as 'big lizzies', 'semis' (urgh!) - but for me, forever and always known as Duchesses.

Anyone who doesn't vote for them today will also similarly be shot.

Can I post some pictures of them, please?(!) I promise to do some more work on your new signals today! (I was going to do so anyway)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah well,  if you're splitting the Stanier vote up like so then that's very easy - the 'Princess Coronation', to give his magnum opus their official class name. Also known as 'big lizzies', 'semis' (urgh!) - but for me, forever and always known as Duchesses.

Agreed, that makes it very easy - another vote for the Princess Coronation (aka Duchess) class...  Am I allowed to specify unstreamlined form?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to inattention I missed the Bulleid vote, sorry - but it would have been a Merch, specifically 35020 Bibby Line as I worked for them in my first career!

Todays poll doesn't give a great range of choice, but as my first model was of course a Triang Princess Elizabeth, it has to be a 'Lizzie'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duchesses for this vote, big, impressive and capable what's not to like?

Still have my ex-3 rail now 2 rail Duchess of Montrose, which travelled miles on the club layout after it was converted, packed away somewhere.  Must have a look around and find it sometime.

• Like 1

It’s a pity the War intervened so we never saw the 4–6-4 that was on the drawing board, intended to take a 500 to train to Glasgow in 6hours  on 10 tons of coal as compared to a Duchess taking 300 tons in 6hrs 30 min on 7 tons of coal. What spectacular loco that would have been.

However my vote goes to the Black 5. In practical terms not really ant better than a B1 or Hall but in terms of the sort all round service they provided to the LMS and later the LMR right to the end of steam it must surely be the best design the LMS  ever had.

4 minutes ago, jazzer said:

... my vote goes to the Black 5. In practical terms not really ant better than a B1 or Hall but in terms of the sort all round service they provided to the LMS and later the LMR right to the end of steam it must surely be the best design the LMS  ever had.

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Please note that there will be separate polls for mixed traffic designs and goods locomotives, so do not get ahead of yourselves. Anyone posting a reply which shows that they have not read all of this may be shot.:triniti:

For the sake of your health, you might just wish to reconsider your vote ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

I also suspect Jazzer is at risk of a visit from the Mafia!!!!

Has to be a Duchess, several trips behind Duchess of Hamilton on the main lines, plus a several days of enjoying her company whilst a volunteer guard on the NVR.  
In my model past, I’ve owned examples in N,  00 and 0, including HD, Wrenn and Hornby.

Would love to own a Live Steam version 

Paul

• Like 1

Right. To avoid upsetting people who live not so far from me, please may I also support the Princes Coronations; although I prefer those which were built un-streamlined and had a double chimney and smoke deflectors while still in LMS (red?) livery. I don't like the 'streamlined' versions though.

If it wasn't the local risk, I would say that I see the 're-built' Royal Scots as a superb locomotive, even if they did develop a wobble at the rear end!

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Has to be a Duchess ...

Would love to own a Live Steam version 

Like this you mean?

1942631135_RNGardenRailway024.jpg.afb3ba403751c9a6f0f4268611683c18.jpg

My Dad's, not mine I hasten to add.

1298915547_RNGardenRailway030.jpg.ecb23e61fab8428443e5877778788d5f.jpg

Coal-fired, radio control.

WP_20180704_20_27_16_Pro.jpg.0c43ceb232f030f1d797ede8c576cdb8.jpg

After many enjoyable years with '228, as he's got a bit older, he found it a bit much so has now replaced it with this Aster, meths-fired one.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Like this you mean?

After many enjoyable years with '228, as he's got a bit older, he found it a bit much so has now replaced it with this Aster, meths-fired one.

Nice Exleys.

51 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

For the sake of your health, you might just wish to reconsider your vote ...

Oh ...er....CLANG ! ! !  
I meant the Princess Coronations, of course ....:rolleyes:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Princess Coronations for the ultimate brutal passenger locomotive.
However, I remember them on the AWE-INSPIRING parcels trains they ended up hauling on the WCM in that final golden time of their lives.
Duchess of Hamilton purring up the S&C effortlessly is a memory I shall take to my grave.
If I was really cheeky, I'd put them into the mixed traffic classes.:lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Right. To avoid upsetting people who live not so far from me, please may I also support the Princes Coronations; although I prefer those which were built un-streamlined and had a double chimney and smoke deflectors while still in LMS (red?) livery. I don't like the 'streamlined' versions though.

If it wasn't the local risk, I would say that I see the 're-built' Royal Scots as a superb locomotive, even if they did develop a wobble at the rear end!

Listen, my friend - you vote for whatever you like! The rebuilt Royal Scots certainly run the Duchesses a close second in my book and you could make a convincing argument for they being the more overall 'successful' type, given that there were twice as many of them and they shouldered much of the burden of the top link day time express work (the Duchesses in fact being used more than anything else in the wee small hours on the heavy sleeper trains where their brute power over Shap and Beattock was needed the most).

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Listen, my friend - you vote for whatever you like! The rebuilt Royal Scots certainly run the Duchesses a close second in my book and you could in fact make a convincing argument for they being the more overall 'successful' type, given that there were twice as many of them and they shouldered much of the burden of the top link day time express work (the Duchesses in fact being used more than anything else in the wee small hours on the heavy sleeper trains where their brute power over Shap and Beattock was needed the most).

I thought very hard about the 'Scots.'
They were the crack power out of Manchester, together with the Jubs.
I, also, wondered about British Legion. An old Crewe driver I knew, always reckoned that 'The Legion' was one and a half Scots.
I just caught her at the end of her life and she was a beast.
Stanier's passenger classes are a nightmare.
They all ended up being superb in different parts of the system.
They also, through no fault of their own, became mixed traffic locos of some merit.
The procession of fast, heavy, fitted freights out of Liverpool Road, now the Museum of Science and Industry, blasting through Eccles, on the four track, were a favourite summers evening experience for me and my Dad.
Yes, I am a Stanier fan.:lol:

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Like this you mean?

My wallet has just had a Heart Attack.  One for a lottery win I think.  I’ve seen a couple of these run at shows, never fail to impress 

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Grammar
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1