Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

No choice really so it’s the poor man’s B1. Aka Black 5.

The cheek of you. Poor man's B1 what ever next.

Anyhow I have had a good fink Stanier's bestest mixed traffic loco.

Well it wasn't the lovely looking but useless class 3 2-6-2T

It might have been one of the Duchess locos, Red Leader aka LNER4479 mentioned one was painted in BR lined black, the mixed traffic livery.

The 2-6-0 class 5 locos were pretty good, and looked nice.

I might nominate the 2 cylinder 2-6-4T as they were definitely not a failure, in fact very successful.

Then one must consider the locomotives built for the Northern Counties Committee,  the W 2-6-0 class and the WT 2-6-4T, not strictly Stainer's babies but he was responsible for the motive power on the LMS lines in Northern Ireland.

There is another class but a can't get me 'ead around them at the moment.

13 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

5MT 2-6-0, to me they looked better, almost as good as a K3..........

manna

Your as bad as that Greenhowards geezer.

I will stick to the rules and have to say the Black Fives.

The class 4 tanks were equally successful, and their Ulster cousins the WTs were the last class of steam loco to operate in the UK.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I will stick to the rules and have to say the Black Fives.

Hurrah! You know it makes sense.

Perhaps you're finally mellowing in your old ... er ... mature age? Or maybe resistance is simply just futile in the face of Stanier's finest?

I suspect today's (as it's now 00:30) choice might be equally 'challenging' ...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

This morning's picture shows the 5.32 to Leicester at Platform 6, Spital Bridge 4F in charge. The prototype shots I have seem to suggest that for some reason a 4F was the preferred choice for this working.

1728144761_84F.JPG.9e4821d528b39394e151d5f0773d0dea.JPG

A proper engine. :good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Only 22 votes for the Black 5. The 2.6.0 got 2. A foregone conclusion yes, but that shouldn't mean that it doesn't get the praise that it deserves.

However, different considerations apply when it comes to the best Stanier goods locomotive, for, as far as I know, there was only one. So we won't have a one horse race, and acknowledge the 8F as another very successful design.

Clive may come up with some convoluted argument linking Stanier to a locomotive in Outer Mongolia or Papua New Guinea, but I shall not be moved.

Where does that take us then? Back to the Eastern I think, and to find the most successful passenger design of Edward Thompson. "There wasn't one" is unacceptable, and will result in the boys being sent round.:D

And again there will be a separate poll for mixed traffic designs, so please make sure you have read the whole post before hitting the keys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, great northern said:

However, different considerations apply when it comes to the best Stanier goods locomotive, for, as far as I know, there was only one. So we won't have a one horse race, and acknowledge the 8F as another very successful design.

Aw ... I was looking forward to that. I had the following piece of trivia prepared, which I will share anyway as it has a LNER twist and features ET.

Did you know that the new P2 No.2007 will have an 8F front pony truck fitted?

As everyone knows(?), the 8F was the original chosen type for the country's war loco . As all readers of this thread will also know, a fair chunk of them woz manufactured at Doncaster (and Darlington, apparently) and given the LNER classification O6.

Next thing you know, Mr Thompson's L1 appears with a front pony truck ... exactly the same as the Stanier 8F one! Wonder where he got that idea from?

Immediately after the war, following a series of mainline derailments (albeit on somewhat dodgy track), there was a campaign replacement of the front pony trucks on the V2s. Out went the Gresley patented 'swing link' design to be replaced by ... yep, you've guessed it the Stanier 8F type.

Meanwhile, the original P2s, fitted with the same 'swing link' pony truck design, were already history following Mr Thompson's ministrations.

On account of the above history, and following a piece of engineering investigation using modern computer modelling techniques, the new P2 will also be fitted with a side control spring, outside bearer pads front pony truck, a la 8F (not an exact copy, as the geometry is a little different for an eight-coupled machine.

image.png.5617ba336c19f5bbb0ea662d0e323406.png

Isn't that interesting? Hello ... anybody out there? Ah well ...

I shall demur on today's poll. My turn to not want to be shot.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

While Thomo was at Stratford he was the instigator for the reboilering of the Clauds and the 1500s, so I will nominate the rebuilt 1500s (LNER B12/3).

If that ain't allowed then the B2s, might as well stick with the GER lines.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Did you know that the new P2 No.2007 will have an 8F front pony truck fitted?

As someone with a love of CAD and design/technology, the overcoming of the original obstacles with the original P2 design by using a mix of updated P2, British influence, US influence (Lentz gear mainly) and ground up design has been one of the great joys of this project for me. As much as I like Tornado, beyond the construction there wasn't much changed design wise (a VERY broad statement I wish to point out, which is not quite the truth). Whereas the P2 has been updated with an amazing amount of knowledge and input.

On that basis, I'll put in the A2/2 for todays poll. A 'failed' rebuild of a class, designed to iron out the flaws in a much different way of thinking. Plus they kept the names-Wolf of Badenoch is just such a good name for a loco!

• Like 3

When it comes to most successful passenger loco, though the L1s were short lived and had a few problems, i would still plump for them as most successful Thompson design.

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Correct spelling error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

When it comes to most successful passenger loco, though the L1s were short lived and had a few problems, i would still pump for them as most successful Thompson design.

Lloyd

Agreed. My vote also goes to the L1 2-6-4T.

Regards

Chris H

I'll vote for the B1. Though whether it truly counts, being draughted using existing parts enabling tools patterns and formers from existing designs, as a new design is debatable. Though perhaps why they were the only Thompson loco that delivered on their promise.

3 hours ago, great northern said:

And again there will be a separate poll for mixed traffic designs, so please make sure you have read the whole post before hitting the keys.

31 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I'll vote for the B1. 

I think you might be risking the wrath of our glorious leader there ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have no wish of being shot.....again!... as the first 3 times hurt a lot, so I will also pass.

OK so it was more blown up than actually shot but I'm claiming it. 

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A2/3 gets my vote.

They were well used on many types of train and seemed to perform well. Haymarket's lone member of the class was seen on the many routes out of The Waverley and had the highest mileage of the class on withdrawal.

• Like 1

Mr Thompson’s passenger locos? Bit of a difficult one that. Do his rebuilds count? Not sure. After some pondering I’ll plump for the A2/3. Some did last to 1965 and I’m building a model of one at the moment.

• Like 1

Actually, do you know what ... I'll actually submit a vote for this one after all.

Much derided - and with not just a little justification - from what I understand, the A2/3s were probably the pick of an bad-to-indifferent bunch and one has to consider them within the historical context of their introduction. What Gresley aficionados often forget or conveniently overlook is the fact that in the immediate post war period, the Gresley pacifics were at a low ebb, the conjugated valve gear not taking kindly to lack of maintenance. At that particular moment, the new A2/3s must have been a welcome relief to the railwaymen of the day as new locomotives to help keep the services running. Soon to be outclassed in that regard by the Pepp A1s yes - but not until 1948-49. In 1946-7, the A2/3s certainly played their part.

My Dad tells an interesting tale of being a 9-10 year old at the time, put on a train by his parents at Kings Cross and met off the same train by his uncle at Little Bytham(!) He then spent the week trainspotting with his cousin and to see one of the new A2/3s, in their glistening apple green paint, was quite a sight.

For that reason therefore, my vote goes to the A2/3.

• Like 4