Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Normally when I wake up the first thing that goes through my mind is "Oh (not an RMweb word) I am still alive".

Better than the alternative, old fruit.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

It all comes down to part of my means of living with depression. Reflect on events, you cannot change the past but you pull out the good bits and try not to worry on the bad. As for railway modelling that comes and goes with my mood. I am at my most creative as I build up to a bad patch, not sure if that is a good or bad thing. The worse is when I am not in a bad mood but can't be bothered with toy trains, what a waste of time.

I know it is going right off track as this is Gilbert's thread and not a thread about depression, but it takes a lot to put that out in the open. The last 6 months for me have been an all time low due to many events happening to the extent where even good friends have noticed I've been a different person the last 6 months. Modelling has taken a complete back seat to me to the point where I have not even opened up any projects I have going on in CAD (a personal and professional love) at all this year.

Many see the hobby as an escape but it can be a double-edged sword. It takes more to open up and say it than to go hide away in the cave of man and lock out the world.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

4 votes for the River class was enough to win.

Today, what was the very best class of locomotive ever produced by the Great Eastern Railway?  Longevity, and/or effect on subsequent developments are good criteria.

Hard to look beyond the B12, but I am going to go slightly off piste and say the Y6, (G15 tram).

Only 10 strong and hardly geographically spread, though reasonably long lived. My vote goes to them because Toby the Tram Engine has probably served to inspire quite a few children to develop an interest in trains and to take up this  great hobby of ours

Cheers

David

• Like 4

I'm going to have to vote Y14, later J15.

259 built in 27 batches, a design mostly unimproved on in service bar some minor upgrades and changes, and you have to give credit to one being assembled in 9 hours and 45 minutes-that beats a lot of us for kit build times!

• Like 4

I think I will vote for the E4 today, did sterling work including outside East Anglia and an exceptionally long lived 2-4-0 that warranted preserving in the National Collection.

Was a tough one though B12, D16, J15, J17, J65-69, Tram locos, the list goes on.

A Y14 was the fastest built steam loco, one was erected at Stratford in around ten hours, I don't think that record was ever beaten?

Martyn

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In terms of both longevity and subsequent developments the most successful of the GER locos has to be the Holden T18 (GER) 0-6-0T of 1886 which set the pattern for all the rest of the J65 to J69 (LNER classification - T18 = J66) with the last members not succumbing til 1962 and J69 7087 being preserved in the National collection.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the Decapod did achieve its design brief of out-accelerating electric trains.....but I don't suppose it could really be considered successful.  I thought Clive might have taken a punt on it though!

So hard to pick from the Clauds, J15, B12, E4....oh, I'll go for the Claud as the one on Gilbert's layout really floats my boat every time I see it!

I am flabbergasted. In fact my flabber has never been so gasted . Not even a mention of the N7 , which gets my vote.  They revolutionised the jazz services , out of Liverpool St and managed an intensive suburban  service for 40 years at a fraction of the cost of electrification.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Difficult choice indeed but I think I'll go for the N7. They also got away from GE territory a bit.

Ah you beat me to it by one minute . Great minds think alike :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1