44 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

My three:

1. Victorian R Class (I've ridden behind 4 preserved ones on mainline runs and they're superb engines)

2. NBR Glen

3. NBR J36

Love a good Baltic.

With strong family connections to New Zealand the J class features in my thoughts, but trying to stick to what I think were Gilberts intentions....maybe they were anyway, clever sorts, these legals.........I'll go with the Dunalastair V.

The poll. Neil makes a good point in the post above. What were my intentions? I must have had some, surely?  In the end, it all comes down to idleness and sloppy wordage. What I am intending to do is pull together all the recent polls, and look for the best of the best, if you see what I mean. So, having done the NB and the Caley, what I was wanting was the ultimate winner between the two.

That wasn't what I did ask for though, and the result was an interesting but very eclectic range of suggestions, which I have been unable to reconcile into a sensible result.

So, can we please go back to looking at locomotives designed by Scottish CMEs, or attributed to them, and which spent their lives largely if not entirely in Scotland. This does extend beyond the big two, so the Highland, GNSR etc get a look in, which they haven't had so far. Is that clear? I do hope so.

The very best and most successful based on those criteria then, please. Now I will find out if I have dug my way out of that hole of my own making.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Posted (edited)

Oh, so that's what you meant ...

In which case, I'm sticking with the CR 'Dunalistair' 4-4-0. Pointed the way forward at the end of the 19th Century with that genre of loco, prior to the later explosion of larger types.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Scottish CMEs

Oh, I love a good nit pick....

"Gresley was born in Edinburgh during his mother's visit there to see a gynaecologist..."

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

"Gresley was born in Edinburgh during his mother's visit there to see a gynaecologist..."

Sounds like she got there just in the nick of time?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
27 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Are you wishing to challenge Clive as the champion of deliberate misunderstanding? I'm sure he will be able to up his game if that is the case.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

Hmm, that does leave me, apres clarification, with either the Dunalastair or Reid Atlantic - both coal hungry but effective beasts.  No, still the Dunalastair, although my Scottish family would say DunalasDair is the correct spelling of that name! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

In that case, the LSWR T9, by the well known Scot, Dougal Drummond:blush:

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed distressing to see Gilbert needing to use his sand-wedge (aka the club with a lot of prang on it) to clear the obstacle - only to see the ball rise sharply and then fall back in. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

If we have to choose one, then the Highland River class. If we need the top three then

1. Highland River.

2. Reid NB Atlantic

3. Caley Dunalastair V

2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Time to respond to Gilbert's wishes, I think.  So my vote goes to the J36.  I'm still looking for an excuse for one on the southern end of the ECML! 

You will have to assume that one of the locomotives that served in France somehow never made it all the way North again!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, David Bell said:

You will have to assume that one of the locomotives that served in France somehow never made it all the way North again!

... or it's simply en route to France and you invoke groundhog day?

G'Day Folks

I'm going for the N2, Gresley was born in Scotland, NBL built 50 loco's and many worked in and around Glasgow, can't get any more Scottish than that !

manna

• Like 2

The J37

Powerful locos, lasting until 1967,  which were taken for granted, always working well on goods traffic and occasional passenger work. 

• Like 1