Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I’m monitoring the Cracking situation as it unfolds.  Looking closer there appears to be an 11 day time delay somewhere!

Gilbert, what Poll do you have planned next?

Paul

I'm running out of ideas Paul. Suggestions welcomed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I'm running out of ideas Paul. Suggestions welcomed.

For an inbetweener for fun. Most scenic route on a Region/in a Country in the UK and NI.

part 1: Inland.

part 2: Coastal.

Also how about  best bit of infrastructure or structure on a route or in a region, just for fun. I might learn of some hidden gems apart from the obvious and widely known ones.

Best shed (have we had that?) in a number group (so that we get Region and also area where ,like the Midland Region there were a lot of number groups) .

Just to bide us over until Brian's thoughts might be revealed?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Spelling yet again.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Now to the poll. Much more exciting than some others which are apparently going on. I have allocated 3 points to first choices, 2 to second, and one to third.

And the result is......In fifth place, with 10 points, the B1. In fourth place, with 13 points, the A1. Third with 23 points, the A3. Second, with 28 points, the A4. The clear winner, with 38 points the V2.

Breaking it down a bit more, A4 and V2 both got 6 votes as first choice. The A4 got 13 votes in total, but the V2 got 19. and that, I think, shows that the V2 was regarded as the most effective and versatile LNER design. And who would disagree with that?

Gilbert

We haven't had the best GWR locomotives as yet.

OK we know what would win the Saint/Star/Castle/Hall/King/Grange/Manor class 4-6-0 and second would be the cute (?) Pannier class 0-6-0PT but what would come third?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert

OK we know what would win the Saint/Star/Castle/Hall/King/Grange/Manor class 4-6-0 and second would be the cute (?) Pannier class 0-6-0PT but what would come third?

Long sigh. I was hoping no-one would mention the G*R. It always claimed to be the best, and the progenitor of just about everything else, so there seems little point in bothering.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert

The almost-as cute 2-6-2Ts.

Job done. Next?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert

Hang on a minute.  I see some naughty sneakiness here.  
Your Honour, here we have an example of someone openly discussing a certain Railway on your thread.  The irony is if said Railway is mentioned on his thread, this results in an, “On the Spot Fine.”  

This could be construed as Double Standards on his part, by safely mention the said railway on a thread, beyond his own Jurisdiction.

I commend your Judgement to the Court

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Spelling, too early in the morning
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Hang on a minute.  I see some naughty sneakiness here.  
Your Honour, here we have an example of someone openly discussing a certain Railway on your thread.  The irony is if said Railway is mentioned on his thread, this results in an, “On the Spot Fine.”  

This could be construed as Double Standards on his part, by safely mention the said railway on a thread, beyond his own Jurisdiction.

I commend your Judgement to the Court

Paul

Hi Paul

Is this wot you mean.

image.png.9a649a24ba70e0913427f9f8a562f182.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Long sigh. I was hoping no-one would mention the G*R. It always claimed to be the best, and the progenitor of just about everything else, so there seems little point in bothering.

How about a poll to find the Worst Rusty loco(s)?  (I guess that means least successful.) 

Would that be post 1922 only or include the pre-Grouping years?

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

Is this wot you mean.

image.png.9a649a24ba70e0913427f9f8a562f182.png

Oh no, there is a worse sentence than that. It would involve pulling up ragwort for days on end. And during your tea breaks, shovelling sh*t. More are available if needed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, great northern said:

Oh no, there is a worse sentence than that. It would involve pulling up ragwort for days on end. And during your tea breaks, shovelling sh*t. More are available if needed.

I am already serving that sentence here on the ranch. :rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Looks like today's poll is for the best railway related put down / insult?

Real railways or toy trains.

Real ones ......."Some kettle on a special photo bombed my phot of 66 103"

Toy ones " Not another f*****g diesel depot"

154873513_IM(16).jpg.5bef4769700d50c9e887593f44009e5b.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And that is why I excluded one railway. No-one is going to change their opinion, so all that happens is that old ground is trodden yet again. I just can't see the point of it.

Here is a poll for you. You are on a train on the ECML heading north. It could be now, though not today on account of cracks, or it could be at a time of your choosing in the past. Between Kings Cross and Peterborough, what is the best scenic view on the right hand side? We will come to best railway related view in a while.

• Like 1

Hmm... KX-P'boro doesn't really have a lot to commend it. However, the crossing of Digswell (Welwyn) viaduct is probably the high (sic) point and the view on the right hand side as you do so is not entirely unpleasant.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's not a particularly scenic part is it?  Apart from Digswell mentioned above, the other scenic bit that springs to mind is the River Great Ouse at Offord, but that's on the left.

North of Sandy, at Everton level crossing it's a nice view to the right with Everton church on the skyline, but I might be biased because it's the area I grew up in.