Peterborough North

great northern

4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

So do I ... but today's poll is for views on the right-hand side ;)

I hadn’t noticed that it had to be on the right hand side but of course it’s on the right hand side when you’re going the other way!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

1960, approaching on the high speed stretch, north of Stevenage, Hitchen Shed at full tilt and bellowing numbers to poor parents sat in the Compartment!!!!!

Umm, I can smell the fear of missing anything still.:scared:

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

G'Day Folks

Hornsey shed, Bounds Green sidings, Shredded Wheat factory (WGC), Hitchin shed, LNWR station at Sandy, Huntingdon bridge, Holme station/Junction to Ramsey, Fletton brickfields........better than views of the Alps.

manna

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

These days the Emirates Stadium is eye-catching, but I'm not sure I'd call it scenic...

I have to avert my gaze at that point! Nil response from me on this poll as it’s not scenic.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The 5.15 from Hull is next, Happy Knight bringing it through. It was only at KX during the summer of 58, but the cleaners there immediately removed all the encrusted filth so that it looked like this. Unfortunately, there don't seem to have been many other times in its short life when it did.

541546107_4533.JPG.d93105dfc841215195126bfe7ee0dcce.JPG

What catches my eye in that photo, apart from the elegance of the main subject, is the realistic hazy look of the buildings in the background. Just right for the distance.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

What catches my eye in that photo, apart from the elegance of the main subject, is the realistic hazy look of the buildings in the background. Just right for the distance.

P

Sheer fluke, Phil. I have been experimenting with ISO settings, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The St Neots bypass. Mainly when heading south along the bypass just before one turns right under the GNR mainline one knows one will be soon in Bedfordshire. There use to be a sign next to the bridge proclaiming "Welcome to Bedfordshire, a Progressive County".

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Railway Thought Of The Day

Bullhead track.

When using bullhead track you need to be careful of the horns.

Every thing will be going smoothly then all of a sudden they appear from behind blasting away on the trumpet, saxophone and trombone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Bullhead track.

Every thing will be going smoothly then all of a sudden they appear from behind blasting away on the trumpet, saxophone and trombone.

I'll have some of what you're on, please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Bullhead track.

Sorry Clive, Saxophone is actually not really a horn. Horns have metal mouth pieces into which one buzzes. A sax has a reed over which one blows. 

Alto Baritone

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry Clive, Saxophone is actually not really a horn. Horns have metal mouth pieces into which one buzzes. A sax has a reed over which one blows. 

Alto Baritone

I know a saxophone is a "metal" reed woodwind instrument but it is often found in the horn section of a band.  Mrs Ms late father played a saxophone in a jazz band.

To be honest, when hearing someone learning to play a saxophone one would think it is a reserve means of audio torture should the bagpiper not get enough wind up. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

... it is a reserve means of audio torture should the bagpiper not get enough wind up. 

One definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Edited by Podhunter
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

On 09/05/2021 at 13:26, great northern said:

Here is a poll for you. You are on a train on the ECML heading north. It could be now, though not today on account of cracks, or it could be at a time of your choosing in the past. Between Kings Cross and Peterborough, what is the best scenic view on the right hand side? We will come to best railway related view in a while.

Woodwalton church, present day, when the sun is shining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Podhunter said:

One definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Belize winter 78-79, I was REME gun fitter with 3 Battery Royal Artillery,

Rideau camp was the Gurkha pipe band, not too bad they rehearsed between gigs in the States together. 

Moved to Holdfast camp, a troop from the Scots Greys was there and one of their pipers was part of that troop. Blue (why are all Aussies in the army called Blue?) would practice around the back of the ammo sheds where the Sherwood Foresters were growing their weed. A small tattoo thing was put on for the locals and Blue played the lament from the water tower, the Engineers managed to shine the search light up his kilt. 

When the Foresters had to abandon their crop they were replaced with the Black Watch, the pipe and drum band. Now my nephew is a pipe player and he use to use the wall of the back of the house to play to so he could hear the reflected sound in doing so he could hear himself play. This what the Black Watch pipers done. Nissan huts do not have many suitable surfaces, so we had 20 odd pipers practicing dotted all over the camp, all playing different tunes, every day.

One can have too much of a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

What about the oboe, sounds like someone quacking when they first start playing.

Low note practice on the tenor sax can sound a bit like a fog horn, I know I have been that fog horn, my landlady at the time wasn't impressed!

At the time I was also practicing for a performance of West Side story, she was ok with that.

Martyn

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mullie said:

What about the oboe, sounds like someone quacking when they first start playing.

... as heard on 'I got you babe' [Sonny & Cher]. Only found that out the other night.

I used to play the French Horn and had to develop my embouchure ... but I'm OK now

• Informative/Useful 2