Peterborough North

great northern

There’s an awful amount of drift on here.  It’s all this talk of wind, (instruments), I blame Clive?????

Best view right hand side, Kings Cross to Peterborough, Digswell Viaduct, Welwyn.

There you go back on topic. Job done.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you buy it from a second-hand shop?

If so, I hope it wasn't from a shop in Hatfield.....

Welwyn Viaduct has to get my vote, although I am not a frequent user of the line. But said structure was the cause of my failing an interview 30+ years ago. It is thus almost pleasing that nobody else to date has found the magic solution to this encumbrance to GN timetabling.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

There’s an awful amount of drift on here.  It’s all this talk of wind, (instruments), I blame Clive?????

Best view right hand side, Kings Cross to Peterborough, Digswell Viaduct, Welwyn.

There you go back on topic. Job done.

Paul

I will agree with Paul, though I find it all rather dreary.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, bad choice. Not much to see on the right hand side before Peterborough, except Digswell viaduct, or rather the view from it. No good sitting on the left though, as if you do that you can't see the smokebox numbers of trains coming the other way. So, we will carry on looking to our right, and we will do that again on our way back to London, so we can then see what is now on our left. Is that clear?:scratchhead:

We will carry on then from Peterborough to Doncaster, looking always to the right, and we will include all that we can see, railway related or just scenic.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

If this is Peterborough to Doncaster, then Doncaster Shed/Works.

If it is P'borough to London, Fletton Brick works (before they were demolished).

Lloyd

Going North, so you can have Donny shed, but not the works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not anything of scenic beauty but something very odd. As you go past the power feed at Little Bytham, the house just before where the M&GNJR crossed, the bloke who lives there seems to have a scout hut in his back garden, most strange.

Edit beaten by UDJ.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

We will carry on then from Peterborough to Doncaster, looking always to the right, and we will include all that we can see, railway related or just scenic.

Lincoln Cathedral

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Now even I'm confused ... but it seems like a good time to give Ally Pally a mention on the right hand side for the trip back to London from Peterborough.

It is all perfectly simple. We are going to Aberdeen, and you have to sit on the right, and keep your gaze in that direction. On the way back, you will again sit on the right, and see all the things you didn't see when heading north. if you get out of turn, I shall get confused, and goodness knows where that might lead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Yep - misinterpreted the destructions.

Right - P'boro to Donny, RHS ....

Err ... ummm ... well ... maybe, but ....

Actually that's pretty boring as well! (Fun starts north of York)

Let's go for - the 282ft spire of St Wulfram's church at Grantham!

(I suppose the Mallard 126 sign these days is also worth a shout but I'll let someone else mention that ...)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Crossing the River Trent at Newark - mainly because I travelled along that piece of water many times back in the 1960s in Dad's boat.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Full tilt over the Idle Bridge and through 36E and admire the original Up Platform Buildings and then the old Goods Shed just after.

However, sadly I have to nominate Grantham Station as it is more 'atmospheric' and the view over the old Town.

P.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have had to think very hard about when I have travelled on the GNR line from Kings Cross. Only one journey comes to mind when I went to Dundee with my mate. Living in Bedford I use to trainspot on the GNR, Sandy, St Neots, (either a bike ride or by bus) and Hitchin (my mate's parents had friends in Hitchin so would drop us off at the station). If I went anywhere northwards it was always via the MR and change on route or DMU from St Johns to Bletchley. As a family when I was young we travelled everywhere by train as Dad never did learn to drive.

I did quite a few trips on the Peterborough to Doncaster bit, the army would always send us from Colchester northwards via Ipswich and Peterborough, I cannot recall looking out the window for anything interesting. Wot no buffet car!!! And who has hidden all the nice looking young ladies????

Quite sad really, I sit here pontificating about railways and can only recall one journey out of Kings Cross.

• Friendly/supportive 7