Peterborough North

great northern

I'll be interested to see who votes for container wagons.
I'm a fan of 'liner trains of all periods. Container wagons are not all the same.
David Geen made two superb kits for the 9ft and 10ft wheelbase GWR container wagon. 
The one example I'd really like to see would be the LMS variant. That was, effectively, an underframe with mounting points for the containers on it.
They were very unique. I love 'em. I've tried making my own with varying amounts of success.
Love the polls, thanks for doing them.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

I'll be interested to see who votes for container wagons.
I'm a fan of 'liner trains of all periods. Container wagons are not all the same.
David Geen made two superb kits for the 9ft and 10ft wheelbase GWR container wagon. 
The one example I'd really like to see would be the LMS variant. That was, effectively, an underframe with mounting points for the containers on it.
They were very unique. I love 'em. I've tried making my own with varying amounts of success.
Love the polls, thanks for doing them.
Regards,
Chris.

Many thanks for the kind comments, Chris - appreciated.

Notice I said 'Containers'...not 'Container Wagons'. 

There will, however, be one actual Container Wagon in Mini-Poll No.6. It has been 'shunted out' of No.5 as your Yardmaster has had to re-marshal all vehicles due to a sudden influx of Open Wagons!:)

Brian

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Many thanks for the kind comments, Chris - appreciated.

Notice I said 'Containers'...not 'Container Wagons'. 

There will, however, be one actual Container Wagon in Mini-Poll No.6. It has been 'shunted out' of No.5 as your Yardmaster has had to re-marshal all vehicles due to a sudden influx of Open Wagons!:)

Brian

Tidy, thank you.
Regards,
Chris.

28 minutes ago, great northern said:

The 5.50 KX-Grantham now appears, today a very short formation, and again with Haymarket's newly outshopped A3 working a Doncaster duty. Steaming problems, running hot, who knows?  Clearly Doncaster are reluctant to part with it, which means we get this glorious sight again. The loco has been at Top Shed overnight, so possibly they have buffed up the works shine, which Doncaster would be unlikely to do.

1511402013_390.JPG.2fd0ca5d592127230e2c8fa5cadf6146.JPG

My favourite combo, kylchap A3 with a GNR tender.
The only A3 I ever saw, Harvester, was in this configuration.
This is gorgeous. The coaches are intriguing too.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I have been looking at the content of our forthcoming Mini-Polls and - unless Gilbert says 'no' - I will revamp them with one extra. The plan will then be as below from Monday...

No.5: More 4-wheel Wagons & Opens (as previewed but now includes more Opens following discussions)

No.6: Container Wagons & Containers (new entry following suggestion from Chris)

No.7: Bogie Freight Stock (as previewed)

No.8: Departmental Stock (as previewed)

Brian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I have been looking at the content of our forthcoming Mini-Polls and - unless Gilbert says 'no' - I will revamp them with one extra. The plan will then be as below from Monday...

No.5: More 4-wheel Wagons & Opens (as previewed but now includes more Opens following discussions)

No.6: Container Wagons & Containers (new entry following suggestion from Chris)

No.7: Bogie Freight Stock (as previewed)

No.8: Departmental Stock (as previewed)

Brian

I'm perfectly happy with that Brian, but I do wonder whether we should complete this by also considering locomotives. After all, they are probably to most people, the most important factor, and compared with the rest of the big four the LNER is still the worst represented by the RTR providers.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert

I'm certainly happy to do that.:)

Give me a few days to look at what options we have. There are many ways 'to slice cakes' and I try to keep our 'maximum loads' to about 10 or 12 items.

Brian

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert

I'm certainly happy to do that.:)

Give me a few days to look at what options we have. There are many ways 'to slice cakes' and I try to keep our 'maximum loads' to about 10 or 12 items.

Brian

While we’re on the subject of extra polls, pre grouping coaches would be the one which I’d be most enthusiastic about. Some of the GNR outer suburban stock (D183/121) and similar NER vehicles which got about a bit ( D. 111/113).

I’d also be up for GE stock as used in push pull trains like this one.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=4327262

Most of this stock had gone by 1958 but was around until the mid ‘50s.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

That would require an OK from Gilbert.

If it was agreed, I have to say that the subject is not my area of knowledge and it would be up to others to provide me with 'the raw data' from which I could construct a Mini-Poll in context with the others.

Brian

31 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

If it was agreed, I have to say that the subject is not my area of knowledge and it would be up to others to provide me with 'the raw data' from which I could construct a Mini-Poll in context with the others.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Of course it’s upto Gilbert and these coaches are a bit early for his period. If we do go ahead I can provide some background but my expertise  is limited to the south end of the GNML. Others on here have more knowledge than me.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hello Andy

I forgot to say that the current Mini-Polls have items that do have (or might have had) some connection with Peterborough North.

But that's not to say that future possibilities can't explore wider territory.

Brian

PS: PM sent just now

Edited by BMacdermott
To advise PM sent.

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

Brian

I think this is where pragmatism comes in. In general terms manufacturers are going to look for things that were around for a long time, unless they are "iconic", dreadfully overused though that word is nowadays. Dry side modellers already struggle because, unlike the LMS and G*R in particular, there was far less standardisation. I'm convinced that we only got A2/2s and A2/3s, let alone the W1, solely because there wasn't much else big, green and named which hadn't already been done.

I really can't imagine much pre grouping stock causing excitement among the manufacturers frankly. I'd like some more, but from what information I can find most of it disappeared by the mid 50s, so I just miss out on it. We might make a case for end door Gresleys, or even "iconic" streamlined stock, but, for example, pre grouping non corridor stock I just can't see happening.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I have realised that there is now only one more image PGS. That's pre Graham's signals, by the way. I will get it out of the way, so that later this evening you can start to enjoy the much improved vista at the north end.

I knew we were getting close when I saw 64B's finest roll into Plat.6 ('cos it was there the day I visited). Looking forward to seeing the new images...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having talented friends is a huge advantage, of course, but if you didn't have PN there would be no reason for them to step up. A good example of an investment that pays dividends. 

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, great northern said:

As Graham predicted, our shiny A3 now leaves, and passes two lovely new signals.

1189277524_190leaving.JPG.8539b3638bfed2595b2891f9b0caf902.JPG

I struggled to get the lighting right on this, for some reason, bu there are more to come.

That is one of the best shots I have seen for some time. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

The other side of 60090, with only one new signal to admire this time.

1587328858_290leaving2.JPG.8dd9eb25d2508a59524dcf715465f0c9.JPG

You can tell it's newly-installed - the S&T have adjusted the tensioning on the wire to make sure that it's well and truly  pulled 'off'.

The real thing would probably lose that tension over time and the arm gradually become 'lazy'. That's unlikely to happen on the model. One worries about such things ...

'Tis indeed a loverly image Gilbert. Thanks.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You can tell it's newly-installed - the S&T have adjusted the tensioning on the wire to make sure that it's well and truly  pulled 'off'.

The real thing would probably lose that tension over time and the arm gradually become 'lazy'. That's unlikely to happen on the model. One worries about such things ...

'Tis indeed a loverly image Gilbert. Thanks.

Yes, I thought it was a little higher than when we adjusted it, but never mind, it can be looked at next time you are here. I don't think it is too irritating as it is though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just an ‘appetiser’ for tomorrow’s Mini-Poll...

Nine of the 12 items are Opens. In a small addition to our usual ‘vote for any or all’ format, you will find items 13 and 14. These will be ‘focused choice’ selections for which you will need your thinking caps on!

I hope you will find it challenging and interesting. If it goes according to plan – famous last words! :)– it will add a ‘focused dimension’ to the results.

Brian

• Like 3