Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

A picture on page 47 of Don Rowland’s book, Twilight of the Goods, shows a BM sitting on a BR Conflat A.

I posted a PDF about Containers a few posts back. If you want to look at that and - possibly - revise your votes, I will be happy to take them.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I had looked at that. If anyone can give me a list of which ones worked on the ECML in quantity and particularly on the Aberdeen meat empties train I might revise my vote. Otherwise I’ll stick with the safe choices I made.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Sandhole

I agree fully with you there...but one partial problem if one is looking for accuracy is that the currently available Class 28 is the type re-built with flat windows. See notes below from The Guide to The 00 Wishlist Poll (with Conflat P following - see my note about possible 'spin off' from the TMC models).

Brian

Class 28 – 1958 as built, wrap round windows (originally D5700-D5719)

These 20 locos were introduced in 1958 and 1959 with the unique Co-Bo wheel arrangement. The ‘as built’ version is the one primarily associated with double-heading the London-Glasgow ‘Condor’ service (although it should be noted that model versions of that service require Conflat P wagons as opposed to ‘ordinary’ Conflats).

We are given to understand that when running on the ‘Condor’, the locos were coupled with the No.1 ends inner-most so that drivers always had ‘the quieter end’. The cab windows were altered from a wrap-round style to a flat style from 1961, and that is the version sold by Hattons (made by Heljan).

BR Conflat P Wagon – ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

These longer than usual Conflats were converted from Plate Wagons to carry a BD and an A container for the 'Condor' service. The November 1959 issue of Railway Observer reported that the train had been running for some while with just one D57xx loco (as opposed to the original pairs) and just 13 wagons. See page 28 of David Larkin’s book, Wagons of the Middle British Railways Era (1955-1961).

Some Conflat Ps were later converted to Timber P Wagons and used on trains to a paper mill near Fort William. TMC released its Plate Wagon in 2018 – perhaps this could ‘spin off’?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

Not available RTR yet as far as I know. But they ought to be!

Brian

The little shop is called Osborns; in Bideford.

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/bm-176-scale-oo-fresh-meat-container-kit-49742-p.asp

Now I have to point out that 2 of the three I bought I had to soak the plywood and dry under weight as they were warped. Also the little Lift/Hoist Rings are often broken. Nevertheless, it is as Brian said and quite a fun thing to glue together.

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Brian,

I had looked at that. If anyone can give me a list of which ones worked on the ECML in quantity and particularly on the Aberdeen meat empties train I might revise my vote. Otherwise I’ll stick with the safe choices I made.

Andy

Gilbert might be able to do that if Brian hasn't got the info Andy?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My votes go for 4, 5 and 10.

Wagons - I think the old Airfix / Dapol / etc. Conflat A is close enough to represent ex GWR types?

Don't know enough about Southern ones to be able to choose.

LMS type (4) significantly different in appearance to warrant a separate model; plus I would be interested to see how a RTR manufacturer would do it!

LNER type (5), also significantly different in appearance, especially as regards brake gear etc.

Containers - Big Four "general merchandise" types already well enough covered by the existing RTR types (although plywood sided versions would add some variety), and I have plenty.

However I have voted for (10) as the BM and FM types in particular are not yet catered for.

Brian, regarding securing chains and shackles, N Brass Locos do some very nice etched ones which come as one piece and are easy to use, as well as being good value:

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/oovaried.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great northern said:

I'm no wiser, I'm afraid. It is too dark to see them when they come through PN. Seriously, I do not know.

Hello Gilbert and everyone

A picture on page 84 of Peter Coster's book, The Great British Railway Station - King's Cross, shows a long line of Containers. The difficulty is that, although I can see the roofs, the 'identifying sides' are mostly obscured by the wagons in the next road!

Frustrating!

From what I can tell, the Containers are on one of the tracks that had a roadway alongside; some Fish Vans are on the track opposite. So, could this be where 'the perishable stuff' was unloaded? Or just coincidence?

The subject of Containers seems to have beaten some of you, and turn out - so far - is fairly low.

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Hello everyone

Your 'Polling Station' closes at 1700  today.

If you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the 11 items listed plus a response to 12 (if you wish)

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Container Wagons

1   GWR Container Wagon – Conflat A (Diag.H10 of 1944)

2   SR Container Wagon – 9ft & 10ft wheelbase (Diags.1382 & 1399 of 1931/1938)

3   SR Container Wagon – 18ft 7in wheelbase (Diag.1383 of 1931)

4   LMS Container Wagon – Chassis (numerous diagrams)

5   LNER Container Wagon – Conflat S (Diag.104)

6   BR Container Wagon – Conflat P ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Container Wagons with ‘Dedicated’ Containers

7   BR Conflat B Wagon & AFP Container (Diag.1/461 & Diag.3/256 of 1958)

8   BR Conflat L Wagon & L Containers (Diag.1/068 of 1951 on)

Containers (only)

9   Containers – Big Four types – GWR, SR, LMS & LNER

10 Containers – BR types – A, AF, BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat, etc

11 Containers – BR Speedfreight (Diag.3/006 etc from 1961)

Your Focused Choices of Containers (only)

12  Looking at Items 9, 10 and 11 above, please specifically mention any of the numerous types within those ranges that you feel are ‘crying out to be made’ (with reasons if possible).

Brian

Well if that’s the latest Hornby offering then I’d say he’s done a fantastic job of lifting the insipid livery colour into a different sphere altogether. A lovely job.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

My choices in the container poll are:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10.

As regards 12, and speaking generally, we need more variety.  As I see it there are only three currently available - Bachmann's BR AF and BD and Dapol's B.  This, as far as I can see, is BR Diagram 3/049 despite Dapol offering all sorts of liveries except BR!  Hornby's vertical planked B (originated by Airfix) seems to be GWR Diag. BK2 and has not been offered for some time.  Replica's diagonal planked B would seem to be GWR Diag. BP1 and is also not currently available either.  So , in particular, I'd like too see BR A, BM and FM plus a few Company diagrams of both 'A' and 'B' length to add variety.

Chris KT

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Final Call for Votes - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Hello everyone

Your 'Polling Station' closes at 1700  today.

If you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the 11 items listed plus a response to 12 (if you wish)

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Container Wagons

1   GWR Container Wagon – Conflat A (Diag.H10 of 1944)

2   SR Container Wagon – 9ft & 10ft wheelbase (Diags.1382 & 1399 of 1931/1938)

3   SR Container Wagon – 18ft 7in wheelbase (Diag.1383 of 1931)

4   LMS Container Wagon – Chassis (numerous diagrams)

5   LNER Container Wagon – Conflat S (Diag.104)

6   BR Container Wagon – Conflat P ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Container Wagons with ‘Dedicated’ Containers

7   BR Conflat B Wagon & AFP Container (Diag.1/461 & Diag.3/256 of 1958)

8   BR Conflat L Wagon & L Containers (Diag.1/068 of 1951 on)

Containers (only)

9   Containers – Big Four types – GWR, SR, LMS & LNER

10 Containers – BR types – A, AF, BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat, etc

11 Containers – BR Speedfreight (Diag.3/006 etc from 1961)

Your Focused Choices of Containers (only)

12  Looking at Items 9, 10 and 11 above, please specifically mention any of the numerous types within those ranges that you feel are ‘crying out to be made’ (with reasons if possible).

Brian

I have to confess Brian that I am still in ignorant phase of ‘it looks like a container’. However, the one that looks VERY different is the Conflat L with it’s three individual containers. I’m about to do a conversion based on a Parkside kit and the old Triang offering. But I’m seeing more and more of them in pictures so would certainly be in the market for a few more.

Otherwise I’m just relying on my area of interest so overall my choice would be 4, 5 & 8 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

And here is the latest arrival from Tim's workshop.

1507860245_5181.JPG.7e7cbd3ac7d938e2b2776299f5ac70da.JPG

1717430544_5182.JPG.f589a99f81afd158681c0b47b5501dc1.JPG

We await your comments with interest.

I want one!!!!! Just goes to show that there's an outstanding model lurking under Hornby's BR green!

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, chris45lsw said:

As I see it there are only three currently available - Bachmann's BR AF and BD and Dapol's B. 

Thanks Chris

It seems that Bachmann do (or have) made the A type, but - from what I can see - they have only been sold in packs of four; two BR 'steam days' and two later BR period. So, I have never bought any!

They are probably 'thin on the ground'. I always look out for second-hand 'steam era' As at shows, but don't recall ever getting any!

Brian

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Chris

It seems that Bachmann do (or have) made the A type, but - from what I can see - they have only been sold in packs of four; two BR 'steam days' and two later BR period. So, I have never bought any!

They are probably 'thin on the ground'. I always look out for second-hand 'steam era' As at shows, but don't recall ever getting any!

Brian

There is another source of A type containers, Base Toys/BT Models do quite a nice one with a BR liveried Karrier Bantam articulated flatbed under it.

John 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Tim said:

Thanks all for the compliments on 60518.  With Gilbert's permission, here is a real and model comparison, aided by a photo my late father took as a teenager (a fortnight or so off age 14).

2094584915_60518Tehran27-5-58127-201.jpg.f14612f7e5edca391cf70122d52150de.jpg

20210624_183822.jpg.08fb21b830202988e5b19cdf8a310562.jpg

It's as close as dammit...... 

Not just the loco but that shot shows how good Gilbert's layout really is.

• Agree 4