Peterborough North

great northern

my vote goes for

Part of an over-looked fleet of department vehicles and ideal for a small layout.

In the same vein, any of the earlier tampers/liners/ballast cleaners.  Not very likely that they would ever be produced but you can always dream!  Now, where's my scalpel and plasticard?:biggrin_mini2:

Roja

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Results - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.8: Departmental Stock

Hello everyone

Well…not much interest in this one, but many thanks to the 11 voters who took part.

The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

High Polling

7          Ballast Plough Brake Van – LNER (1926)

5          Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – LNER/BR Dolphin (Diag.99, BR Diag.1/639)

Middle Polling

4          Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – BR Sturgeon (Diag.1/638 etc)

4          Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Wood (Diag.207)

4          Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Steel (Built 1935 & 1947)

3          Chief Engineer’s Saloon – LNER DE900580 (1936)

Low Polling

2          Ballast Wagon 4-wheel – BR Catfish (Diag.1/586)

2          Breakdown Crane – LNER – Cowans Sheldon 45-ton (1940)         

2          Dynamometer Car BR – DE320041, later DB999500 (1951)

1          Track Recorder – BR Matisa Neptune 4-wheel

Other Departmental Stock you would like to see made

2          Dogfish Ballast Wagon

2          Trout Ballast Wagon

1          Match Truck (Oxford Crane)

1          Sleeper Wagon – 4-wheel

1          Tampers/Liners/Ballast Cleaners

1          Ballast Brake Van

1          Ballast Hoppers – LMS

1          Dynamometer Car - LMS

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

Mini-Poll No.8 Departmental Comments Received.pdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Special Traffic Notice

There will be a change to the normal Mini-Poll working timetable for next week only.

PN Loco Mini-Poll No.1: Freight Types will start on Sunday 11 July and run until midnight on Wednesday 14 July, with Results early Thursday 15 July.

I will be having a cataract operation around noon that Thursday and may not be able to answer any queries on the Results until possibly Friday or even Saturday –  but, of course, I will do my best to get back to you as soon as the eyes permit.

I am running the three PN Loco Mini-Polls with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Overall Results, Top-to-Bottom, 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls Nos.1-8

Hello everyone

As promised, here are the Overall Results, Top-to-Bottom. They are on a PDF so that only those who wish to see them need to open it

The eight Mini-Polls looked at 86 items which resulted in 14,400 words of Comments Received as well as some really good photos.

We hope you have enjoyed them but – importantly – that we have all learned from the experience.

Brian

Mini-Polls Nos 1 to 8 Results - Overall Top to Bottom.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Special Traffic Notice

There will be a change to the normal Mini-Poll working timetable for next week only.

PN Loco Mini-Poll No.1: Freight Types will start on Sunday 11 July and run until midnight on Wednesday 14 July, with Results early Thursday 15 July.

I will be having a cataract operation around noon that Thursday and may not be able to answer any queries on the Results until possibly Friday or even Saturday –  but, of course, I will do my best to get back to you as soon as the eyes permit.

I am running the three PN Loco Mini-Polls with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

Brian

All the best Brian. You already have a 'steady head' so you should be fine. However, no bending over (backwards) to give us info on here. Adopt the  Jokovich 'stare' until you are healed.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

All the best Brian. You already have a 'steady head' so you should be fine. However, no bending over (backwards) to give us info on here. Adopt the  Jokovich 'stare' until you are healed.

ATB

Phil

Very simple, painless and quite quick procedure in my case Brian. I was surprised how well I could see even in the taxi on the way home after the op, though there was some blurring in the eye the following day. No problems after that.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Things have moved on a lot from the poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

Not just a crude joke - the earliest "surgical" treatment for cataracts was a procedure known as couching. Ouch! Lots of risk of infection too.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

One of Leicester's nearly new Standard 4MTs brings in the Birmingham- Ely.

651593651_64MT.JPG.9fb8b38c34b3710f5b7a898dc2f57e71.JPG

Did that service get 'joined' to others to create the now LIverpool Norwich? Many historic X Country routes seem to have run in a similar way for many decades.

P

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Did that service get 'joined' to others to create the now LIverpool Norwich? Many historic X Country routes seem to have run in a similar way for many decades.

P

Not really, it's more like the present Birmingham-Stansted Airport which goes via Leicester and Oakham.  The Liverpool-Norwich goes a different way, via Grantham and Nottingham.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Did the M&GN trains to Norwich/Yarmouth/etc morph into the eventual Liverpool- Norwich service, starting with the M&GN closure in 1959? I remember LMR trains of class 25 + Stanier coaches heading east through March, and the Ely loop, to the coast.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Did the M&GN trains to Norwich/Yarmouth/etc morph into the eventual Liverpool- Norwich service, starting with the M&GN closure in 1959? I remember LMR trains of class 25 + Stanier coaches heading east through March, and the Ely loop, to the coast.

Stewart

Immediately before Sectorisation, when Regional Railways (as it then was) introduced long distance routes with the Class 156 and later Class 158 DMUs, I don't think there was anything like the present day Liverpool-Norwich.

When I was spotting in East Anglia, and when I started work on the railway in 1979, I think there was just the Birmingham service which was roughly hourly but alternated between Norwich and Cambridge, giving roughly 2-hourly to / from either place.  I think apart from Summer Only trains to Yarmouth (which did use the Ely avoiding line), the only other "cross country" service from East Anglia to the Midlands & North at that time was the once daily Parkeston-Manchester "Boat Train" which at that time went via March-Spalding-Lincoln etc.

There may have been other trains at one time which had died out over the years; the late 70s and early 80s were quite lean times for cross country services!  Then just before the 'Sprinter' type DMUs came in, Regional Railways started various rather random long distance trains which were at first loco hauled; there were trains from various East Anglian stations to Blackpool North and I think even Barrow in Furness at one time!  Eventually they settled down to what we see today, i.e. Birmingham-Stansted and Liverpool-Norwich.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that a Birmingham service to East Anglia carried on after steam finished in the area, with Class 31s hauling elderly steam age stock. I think it went to Cambridge rather than Ely though.

The holiday trains which used to go to Yarmouth via the M&GN came through Peterborough after the line closed, using the Midland lines to avoid North.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Stewart

As is suggested by 31A,  the Liverpool-Norwich services started in May 1988 with the introduction of a service using the then new Class 156s.

They overlapped with the death throes of what remained of what had once been the North Country Continental; the loco-hauled Harwich-Edinburgh/Glasgow "The European" being replaced by various short-lived named services, some also using Class 156s.

Very brief discussion of those here:

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great northern said:

I'm pretty sure that a Birmingham service to East Anglia carried on after steam finished in the area, with Class 31s hauling elderly steam age stock. I think it went to Cambridge rather than Ely though.

The holiday trains which used to go to Yarmouth via the M&GN came through Peterborough after the line closed, using the Midland lines to avoid North.

In May 1969 I caught an afternoon  Birmingham - Norwich service, which avoided Ely. Sadly it reached Norwich after the last direct London service had left, so I was a bit stuffed getting back home to Surrey......

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.1: Freight Types

Hello everyone

Welcome to the first of three planned Mini-Polls concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North. The title is Freight Types, but we appreciate that some were used on passenger too. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (which are Passenger – Tank and Passenger – Tender). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a J52, it probably is a J52’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 12 items listed plus a response to item 13 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

0-6-0T

1   GNR J52 (68757-68889)

2   GER J67/J68/J69 (68491-68666)

0-6-0

3   GNR J6 (64170-64279)

4   GER J17 (65500-65589)

5   GER/LNER J19 (64640-64674) 

6   GER/LNER J20 (64675-64699)

7   LNER J39 (64700-64988)

4-6-0

8   NER B16/1 (in range 61410-61478, but some are B16/2 or B16/3)   

9   NER/LNER B16/2 (in range 61435-61457, but some are B16/3 and most B16/1)

10 NER/LNER B16/3 (in range 61420-61468, but some are B16/2 and most B16/1)

2-8-0 & 2-8-2

11 GCR/LNER O4/8 (in range 63573-63915 with gaps)

12 LNER P1 Nos.2393 & 2394

13 Your suggestions of any locos with a 'PN connection' not listed above.

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until midnight on Wednesday 14 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Thursday 15 July.

We look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I’m voting for:

*  J6 – an essential for the line. Sadly, never seems to poll very high – and I don’t know why!

*  J17 – essential GER loco. (I have a kit-built example, but would love a modern standard RTR)

*  J19 – as above

*  J20 – as above

*  J39 – already made by Bachmann but a version to modern standards would be welcome

*  J52 – essential to complete the range of freight tanks. An ‘unsung hero’ (or heroine?)

*  J67/J68/J69 – one of those locos that has ‘eye appeal’ and much going for it!

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite an easy poll this time Brian!

In terms of what I would buy for my own layout, I will vote for:

1 - J52  I have made a reasonable job of cobbling one up from Hornby body and Bachmann Pannier Tank mechanism, but there's a certain amount of work involved and there are still certain compromises; a modern model would be very welcome.

2 - J67/J68/J69  Really surprised this hasn't been done RTR already.  The myriad variations might put a manufacturer off I suppose!  If there was a retailer like Kernow or Rails with East Anglian connections, this would surely be one for them.

3 - J6  A 'must have' for a GN based layout.  At the moment my own layout is too '2-8-0 heavy' and more Eastern 0-6-0s are always welcome.

7 - J39 - See above!  I have a Bachmann one but it is a poor runner, and doesn't get out much.  Have sometimes contemplated making a decent mechanism for it, but the body isn't really up to 'modern standards' anyway.

Those would be my choice from the point of view of voting, but if 4, 5, 6, 9 or 10 became available I would buy one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My selection would mirror Brian's completely, so:

J6, J17, J19, J20, and J67, 68, 69 for GE, 

J6, just because, J39 and 52 to contemporary standards.

Best wishes,

Alastair

• Thanks 1