Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It's alright - the leading vehicle is carrying a tail-lamp!

Better not stare at my stock when it is running in certain sets then as I CBA to tack and untack the Lamps for fixed sets. Mind you, if you can find a pic of any of my stock actually running, you need a prize.....:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 6

On 16/08/2021 at 10:00, great northern said:

Another angle on Silver King.

1267733530_4162.JPG.f7f454a4aa4c8320dd54d3d8cf84121f.JPG

Lamps and headboard on straight, and no posts growing out of chimneys. Whatever next?

Great photo especially with Tottenham Hotspur in the background 

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2021 at 23:08, great northern said:

Still one more shot of the dirty duke, but it is from Spital Bridge, which people usually seem to like.

1825857362_25082.JPG.abd9b09510a137556ad0abf2178fca43.JPG

A bit too bright?

Simply physics, I'm afraid. This is the limit of dynamic range on the camera sensor, i.e. the range between the brightest and darkest bits it can capture in one image. If you had toned the pic down a bit the smokebox door would have been even less detailed. We can't win with such a high contrast shot. 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Simply physics, I'm afraid. This is the limit of dynamic range on the camera sensor, i.e. the range between the brightest and darkest bits it can capture in one image. If you had toned the pic down a bit the smokebox door would have been even less detailed. We can't win with such a high contrast shot. 

Physics. Had to give that up when I was 12. Our headmaster had decided I was going to be a classicist, so I got Greek instead, which doesn't help much when things like this arise.

Actually, I'm currently pondering what else I might be able to do, if anything, to cut down the amount of light coming in, while still allowing enough for decent photography. I wonder if blanking off the lower half of the windows might help? That would still allow plenty of light to come in, but not directly behind the subject of the photograph. is there an alternative to blinds, I wonder? Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, great northern said:

Physics. Had to give that up when I was 12. Our headmaster had decided I was going to be a classicist, so I got Greek instead, which doesn't help much when things like this arise.

Actually, I'm currently pondering what else I might be able to do, if anything, to cut down the amount of light coming in, while still allowing enough for decent photography. I wonder if blanking off the lower half of the windows might help? That would still allow plenty of light to come in, but not directly behind the subject of the photograph. is there an alternative to blinds, I wonder? Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome.

Abroad the sensible people have Shutters. I believe you can get Shutters that enable insulation as well as light control. If you are very advanced I also believe you can get DCC ones that you can control from a Device. It is possible that as your place is sort of listed you could get a Grant towards being Eco friendly?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have plantation blinds they are like venetian blinds, but can be opened/closed with a stick or a long ruler. They were fitted by the previous occupants and give a superb control over light levels. Fitting would be a problem with your setup!!!!

Chaz

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Abroad the sensible people have Shutters. I believe you can get Shutters that enable insulation as well as light control. If you are very advanced I also believe you can get DCC ones that you can control from a Device. It is possible that as your place is sort of listed you could get a Grant towards being Eco friendly?

P

Your post and the one below have got me thinking. Shutters, eh? However, if I'm going to be sensible, the first thing to do is to experiment by temporarily blocking out the light in the lower half of the windows, and to see how much that leaves me with. If it isn't enough for photography without additional lighting, I don't think there is any point.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, great northern said:

Now this is a first time view.

1653430795_2482.JPG.b37a04119e51e63425821c9401197b29.JPG

You'd need to be hovering in mid air to take this, and it is really too cluttered, but it was worth a try.

G'Day Folks 

As you say, but a Great pic from an unusual angle, one we've not seen before. Thumbs Up.

manna

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1