Peterborough North

great northern

On 04/09/2021 at 09:38, great northern said:

A rear three quarter view of our A2/2 as it heads off to the north. One does wonder how many times, and how violently, it will have slipped between the platform end and here.

1849894336_1504.JPG.f8fedfb1ef858ac02b547a0ebafc6b2c.JPG

Would it not have had the offer of a suitable tanky on the back giving it a healthy shove just to get the whole thing on the move?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Would it not have had the offer of a suitable tanky on the back giving it a healthy shove just to get the whole thing on the move?

Indeed it would, as regulations required that any train loading to 11 bogies or over should be assisted, normally by one of the pilots. The assistance only went as far as the end of the platform though, and the pilots, approaching the end of their lives, might not make much difference. My recollection though is that Thompson Pacifics could slip violently on loads considerably lighter than this. Hitting the dog's leg curve almost immediately after starting, and with half the train still in tension on the curve when the pilot dropped off would be a recipe for slipping even on dry rail, and if it was wet, a certainty.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Could I pick the brains of you, Gilbert and the folk on here please?
I was thinking about buying a Hornby A2/3 in the last LNER apple green livery. Could somebody confirm for me if I can re-letter and number the model with a BR number and the full British Raileays on the tender.
When I'm playing with my SR stock, I have a re-numbered and lettered Malachite Urie Arthur, Melisande in British Railways livery.
I was wondering if I could do that with Chamossaire, or renaming the model.
Thanks and best wishes,
Chris.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Could I pick the brains of you, Gilbert and the folk on here please?
I was thinking about buying a Hornby A2/3 in the last LNER apple green livery. Could somebody confirm for me if I can re-letter and number the model with a BR number and the full British Raileays on the tender.
When I'm playing with my SR stock, I have a re-numbered and lettered Malachite Urie Arthur, Melisande in British Railways livery.
I was wondering if I could do that with Chamossaire, or renaming the model.
Thanks and best wishes,
Chris.

Chamossaire was not painted BR green until November 1950, so there will have been a period when it had apple green with British Railways. It had a general repair in January 1949, but as the early crest did not begin to be used until June 1949, I would say it was apple green and BRitish Railways from about April 1948 until October 1950.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, great northern said:

Chamossaire was not painted BR green until November 1950, so there will have been a period when it had apple green with British Railways. It had a general repair in January 1949, but as the early crest did not begin to be used until June 1949, I would say it was apple green and BRitish Railways from about April 1948 until October 1950.

Thank you Gilbert, that's good enough for me.
Rule 1 to get her to Manchester Oldham Road.
After all, it's down to you, that I'm running a rebuilt Claud on an Eastern stopping train.:lol:
All The Best,
Chris.

1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

Thank you Gilbert, that's good enough for me.
Rule 1 to get her to Manchester Oldham Road.
After all, it's down to you, that I'm running a rebuilt Claud on an Eastern stopping train.:lol:
All The Best,
Chris.

I've picked up an A2/2 on Eface for good dosh. I'll get Chamossaire this week.
Neither of these beasts will haul a passenger train. They'll take their turns on heavy fitteds out of Oldham Rd goods, together with 10203.
Yes, my Manchester is a wonderland of wierdness. Brewery Sidings Shed, is a haven for L&Y locos, Baltics and Dreadnaughts and early diesels.
The LMS Twins and the Raworth locos ended up there, working over the Pennines.
Close to EE for repairs.
Don't even start me on the preserved L&Y atlantic working as station pilot.
My railway world is a WILD place.:lol::lol:

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Time we had some more audience participation on here, I think, so here is another poll. Of the stations which remain open on the ECML, which still retains the most ambience, infrastructure and the general feel that it had back in the days of steam? I'll tell you now that Peterborough won't win. Reasons for nomination would be interesting.

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

That video makes an excellent accompaniment to tea and biscuits.   Isn't there a Coronation twin or the Beavertail in it, right at the end?

Coro twin, Jonathan. It ran at the head of the up Aberdonian for evening meal service, detached at Edinburgh. The jury's still out as to how it got back. It is indeed a most remarkable piece of immediate post-war colour footage.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

Time we had some more audience participation on here, I think, so here is another poll. Of the stations which remain open on the ECML, which still retains the most ambience, infrastructure and the general feel that it had back in the days of steam? I'll tell you now that Peterborough won't win. Reasons for nomination would be interesting.

Small: Grantham with some imagination on the old Shed side!

Large: Newcastle. Being enclosed the OHLs are not so obvious and the Frontage (apart from traffic) is still the same. Darlo comes a close second I suppose? However my experience is limited.

P

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1