Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't know whether you did it deliberately, but the way the bridge ends just by the foreground signal fools the eye (mine anyway) into thinking that it carries on to the left. Very nice.

Pure good fortune, I'm afraid. I did notice it afterwards too, but it was just a lucky juxtaposition of things.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, great northern said:

The other side of the fish, but the smell is the same.

234083573_2fish2.JPG.b5a0c4a83bbb1011ccbe96a7d95e061c.JPG

Hi Gilbert

At first glance I thought it was a double chimney B1.

:punish:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

At first glance I thought it was a double chimney B1.

:punish:

Yes indeed. The positioning of the loco was not quite as good as it might have been. Whatever made me think that it might not be noticed?

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, great northern said:

Yes indeed. The positioning of the loco was not quite as good as it might have been. Whatever made me think that it might not be noticed?

As I am visiting tomorrow and do not want the same welcome as the squirrels get, I will not comment.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"The engine said Doncaster, so why am I here in, what is this place?"

"Peterborough madam"

"I really don't care what it is called, I got on a train at Grantham which had Doncaster on the engine and should have gone there, not to this horrible town."

"The engine is called Doncaster after the winner of the Derby in 1873"

"I don't want to go to Derby, I though I was going to Doncaster".

005a.jpg.72047abb88dbfe72003f5f08551f526b.jpg

I wondered what you were up to with that sneaky photo I saw you take.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

it's no good, but I have to ask,  when are the track gang going to remove that kink before the turnout in the loop?

Roja

Things tend to happen very slowly at PN. Not as slowly as at Little Muddle, I grant you, but the pace is nevertheless, what shall we say..... relaxed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, great northern said:

Things tend to happen very slowly at PN. Not as slowly as at Little Muddle, I grant you, but the pace is nevertheless, what shall we say..... relaxed.

From the time it took to remove that kink in the main lines through the platforms, they tended to happen VERY slowly!

Lloyd

• Like 1

Hi 

I’m attempting a version of the 1960’s layout in N gauge, I’m struggling to find technical details of the station building and layout. 
can you advise where you found the information to enable the modelling of the station building 

any help would be appreciated 

thanks

alan 

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Alan coulson said:

Hi 

I’m attempting a version of the 1960’s layout in N gauge, I’m struggling to find technical details of the station building and layout. 
can you advise where you found the information to enable the modelling of the station building 

any help would be appreciated 

thanks

alan 

Peterborough library have the original 1850 plans, but when I looked at them I found they were of no use really, because of the 1880's alterations. In the end, I just had to send Peter Leyland all the photographs I could find, and just ask him to do his best, which was and is very good, considering that he also had to fit it into the track which had already been laid. It was a very difficult job, even for a master craftsman, which Peter certainly is.

If you look at the Peterborough Images website you will find some useful views, but we found that there were some parts which just didn't seem to have been photographed at all, so there was some educated guesswork involved.

The 1960s were when alterations/demolition was starting to take place, as the overall roof in particular was disintegrating, so you may have to be careful about timescales.

• Like 1