Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Morning G. Been having a think about your 'Midland Sidings' and the leaning belly issue!

What was over there beyond the Sidings and do we have any actual  pics 'facing' that way?

My idea might be non achievable and a much simpler solution used, but I do have some suitable 'timber' to start and a load more spare Vans and Wagons, some of which we could actually 'glue' to the track so they don't get dislodged (swap decent wheels for old plastic ones for part of this idea).

Cheers,

Phil

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Morning G. Been having a think about your 'Midland Sidings' and the leaning belly issue!

What was over there beyond the Sidings and do we have any actual  pics 'facing' that way?

My idea might be non achievable and a much simpler solution used, but I do have some suitable 'timber' to start and a load more spare Vans and Wagons, some of which we could actually 'glue' to the track so they don't get dislodged (swap decent wheels for old plastic ones for part of this idea).

Cheers,

Phil

Not many pictures Phil, at least not until after 1960, when the whole of Spital Bridge shed complex had been demolished, and photos just show a featureless void. I've found this one. courtesy and copyright of AC Ingram.

38698714_midlandlines.jpg.0af29c87e7cb49621ed3fc22c79e2ce7.jpg

The Ivatt is on the Up Midland main, with nothing on my two sidings to hide it, which seems to have been unusual. At this end, more sidings and spurs beyond the running lines, and at the north end, of course, Spital Bridge shed, coaling tower, and all the associated sidings, hidden by smoke on this photo.

One thing it does show is that I'm not the only one who has had trouble with the sun bleaching things out. We are now down to just eleven inches between baseboard and exterior wall, so no way we could narrow that any further. Anyone fancy doing all that run of point rodding, plus the post and cables behind it?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Going from memory of 60 years ago, and my memory is not very good at best, the East side of Midland Road (i.e. the side towards the station) was industrial premises all the way along. I have a vague memory of a bakery part way along, but not much detail beyond that. I think that they were all low buildings, which is why they would not have been visible from the station side above the usual row(s) of wagons parked on that side.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

Not many pictures Phil, at least not until after 1960, when the whole of Spital Bridge shed complex had been demolished, and photos just show a featureless void. I've found this one. courtesy and copyright of AC Ingram.

38698714_midlandlines.jpg.0af29c87e7cb49621ed3fc22c79e2ce7.jpg

The Ivatt is on the Up Midland main, with nothing on my two sidings to hide it, which seems to have been unusual. At this end, more sidings and spurs beyond the running lines, and at the north end, of course, Spital Bridge shed, coaling tower, and all the associated sidings, hidden by smoke on this photo.

One thing it does show is that I'm not the only one who has had trouble with the sun bleaching things out. We are now down to just eleven inches between baseboard and exterior wall, so no way we could narrow that any further. Anyone fancy doing all that run of point rodding, plus the post and cables behind it?

XLNT info thanks G.

2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Going from memory of 60 years ago, and my memory is not very good at best, the East side of Midland Road (i.e. the side towards the station) was industrial premises all the way along. I have a vague memory of a bakery part way along, but not much detail beyond that. I think that they were all low buildings, which is why they would not have been visible from the station side above the usual row(s) of wagons parked on that side.

Lloyd

Even more excellent news Lloyd.

I shall discuss this with you G, sometime soon.

Phil

8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Cheers,

Phil

Don’t forget the Wagon Works by the Crescent Bridge.

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Gilbert did you get my PM's ok, I had some trouble sending due to file size? The pics may be of interest to you.

Stewart

Yes I did Stewart. I've only had time to look at them quickly, but I haven't seen the article before, and I want to go through it all very carefully, as I bet there are some gems of information in it. I'm very grateful to you for taking the trouble to send it to me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2021 at 22:52, great northern said:

A strange thing. I've just found some pics in a folder dating back to July, which I don't think you have seen. Anyone remember this one?

1172390585_14BDfar2.JPG.cdb4a787b47ea2703a7938cf4ffa2003.JPG

I don’t remember this and I do like a baby Deltic and the steel set. Are there any more of this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

J6 is now further along the slow.

1430468790_7J62.JPG.4e1ecf681eec76bd8e74225f8e4885a5.JPG

But will be coming to a halt,

That photo of the J6 is just superb Gilbert. I had to look twice as I thought I was seeing one of Keith Pirt's photos!

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1