Peterborough North

great northern

On 03/11/2021 at 13:34, great northern said:

Rather belatedly, we come to the other goodie which arrived with Tim last week. The delay was caused by a combination of lack of daylight and lack of memory.

Some time ago I snapped up a couple of cheap new Hornby B1s on E Bay, and they have been with Tim since. Other things kept getting to the top of the to do list though, and so only now has the first one been Timmed. Some thinking was necessary before deciding on identities, as I had to take into account both the requirements of a Saturday sequence, when I get round to it, and the different haulage capacity of Hornby and Bachmann B1s. There were quite a few 11or even 12 coach duties on Saturdays, so I needed to make sure that Hornby locos covered them.

As these were all E Lincs trains to and from Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Skegness, at least one more Immingham engine seemed to be a sensible option. Trawling through various websites I found a dated photo of 61142 in July 58 on one of the weekday expresses, which I found quite interesting, as it had been out of shops for some time by then, as evidenced by the early crest it carries. 40B must have liked it though, as it had been bulled up for the London job, though there must have been lower mileage engines around.

Tim had to work from a thumbnail image this time, but has done the usual excellent job.

509092610_111421.JPG.e06a41cffa64081eb721f9b830758c63.JPG

71509968_211422.JPG.0fba5b1a9dad074f51cda74b381bd35b.JPG

61142 had its smokebox numberplate with the edge picked out in white together with white or burnished smokebox door hinges during 1959 when it was one of Imminghams 'pet locos' - has Tim been able to do that?

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online
additional info

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rail-Online said:

61142 had its smokebox numberplate with the edge picked out in white together with white or burnished smokebox door hinges during 1959 when it was one of Imminghams 'pet locos' - has Tim been able to do that?

Tony

The 1958 photo he worked from showed the numberplate picked out, but not the hinges, so he has done it like that. One of my others, 61098, which featured recently, has both.

As mentioned by Gilbert above, a little more about the restoration of the up slow to operational use....  This has been a little problem for a while and I'd been trying to think of non-invasive methods of rebuilding it, where the trackwork wouldn't be damaged.  In short, it was the proverbial elephant in the room and I tried to focus on other things....  Effecting the repair on the point at the north end of the layout piqued my curiosity a little, so I went for another look, as you do....

From above, it didn't really make sense and I couldn't see how it had even worked before; my plan for rebuilding said area was originally going to be fitment of an Exactoscale adapter plate underneath and two new droppers from the switch rails, going into a pair of tubes in the operating arm under the baseboard.  There is plenty of room for this arrangement and I've used said method for many years on my own layouts.  So, I took the motor off and then it dawned on me how Norman had built the thing in the first place.  It took very little time to do, needing just two short bits of 0.4mm n/s wire, with a right-angled bend to fix to the bottom of the switch rail tips.  Looking back on it, I'm wondering why I just didn't take the tortoise off back when it failed three years or so ago, but that's how it goes....!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, great northern said:

A little short of energy this morning, but otherwise fine. Sore arms are less so. I shall have a quiet day.

Back to PN, and the East shuttle has again been entrusted to our lovely little ancient J15.

540919627_55474.JPG.a56fb4429ca37de669a03a62e4d557bc.JPG

It has a bad attack of dandruff. I must remember to dust things before use.

Anyway its passengers have been delivered in time, if they so wish, to walk across the platform ready to board the 6.20 Leeds, which is in sight, and slowing for its stop.

251944215_6111.JPG.4a9243aacf34657e16219072d89e20b3.JPG

Yet another Grantham A3, Enterprise this time.

Oooo a J15. Nearly as lovely as a 2F.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Why did I take this photo? I really don't know.

1625393711_2coachesandslip.JPG.2300792221b5d401ddde9283b2f555ba.JPG

Just coaches really, a bit boring. Never mind, we also have the other side of a lovely A3.

1786409563_31112.JPG.fd5055983b485e183583b541ad871ece.JPG

Coaches? Boring? Never!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

On 11/11/2021 at 22:14, great northern said:

An eventful day. Duly jabbed, bit sore now, followed by a visit from Tim, not bearing goodies this time though. When he was here a fortnight ago, he did some track repairs, but unfortunately I got problems with stalling and occasional derailments, so he came back well in advance of the next scheduled visit to sort it out, which he soon did, both expeditiously and successfully. Then, just before lunch, he decided to have a look at the problem point on the Up slow, which has defeated the efforts of a number of eminent people over quite a long period. TW did get it working again for a while, but unfortunately it broke again. Conversations with Norman Saunders, who built it, didn't get us much further, and then came the virus and Norman's sad demise.

For that reason, no trains have run on that stretch for at least three years, which mucked things up considerably. Anyway, Tim gave me a fairly complicated account of how he thought he could get it working again, though not for a while. But then fortified by lunch, he dropped out the Tortoise, and for the first time what was below could be seen. As usual, I'll leave Tim to explain the technicalities, but suffice it to say the repair was effected in short order, as were a couple of dead sections which we then discovered. So now the trains run again on the Up slow, and that is a really big plus. I'll take some photos when we get some light to be able to do so.

We had a zoom session planned to sort out one or two things with the control system, but the chap who is helping with it has gone sick, so that had to be postponed. Normally that would have been rather irritating, but the progress elsewhere meant that it didn't really cause me much concern at all. Definitely a very good day.

And so to your evening image, which brings yet another A3, Sandwich this time, with the 5.35 Leeds-KX.

1560178930_439alt.JPG.0a8da0c59cecda100dc7422b0791ec71.JPG

Well done to Tim for fixing that point, Gilbert.

I thought the 'fix' might be underneath, but I struggle these days myself squirming underneath baseboards to make adjustments - it's the knees, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Well done to Tim for fixing that point, Gilbert.

I thought the 'fix' might be underneath, but I struggle these days myself squirming underneath baseboards to make adjustments - it's the knees, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Tony. 

Too much fast bowling.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, great northern said:

Not much light available today, but nevertheless I decided that there should be a grand reopening of the Up slow, and that a record of it should be made.

I think the best thing about what Tim did on Thursday was that it wasn't even on the list of jobs to be done. It had been filed under "perhaps later" for far too long, so to see it completely remedied in short order was a huge bonus. And when I thought about things again later, I realised that it had been out of action since before the Midland sidings were put in, so there was a real incentive to see what I can now do. Here then is a WD on its slow progress around the back of the station.

889907354_1slow1.JPG.455648200dbdf1ac90a8c922cf7130f7.JPG

1876848734_2slow2.JPG.f64a90872ce22bdd5e24b5ad956d827b.JPG

226210113_3slow3.JPG.146ca0f0b97d27e11b0d5249776127ea.JPG

and finally just about to start its journey back across the whole formation to get to the Up main, and shortly thereafter out of the way onto the slow goods line.

1270830671_4slow4.JPG.a6c458b0283e7f7519e68ba140eabcdd.JPG

Plenty more angles to play with, but that will do for now.

Some splendid images Gilbert.

I'm delighted that the Up slow is now fully-functioning again. 

One point, if I may? Though I never saw Peterborough North in steam days (it was being rebuilt when I first photographed Deltics there), surely the full minerals will have come from New England Yard (on the Up side of the main line)? That being the case, it must have crossed over both the Up and Down mains; if so how are the Down main signals able to be pulled 'off'? They're visible in the first three pictures. 

If I've got this wrong, then my apologies. If not, I assume the signals are not electrically interlocked with the pointwork? 

Or, has the WD come off the Midland road from Stamford? It can't have originated off the M&GNR.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some splendid images Gilbert.

I'm delighted that the Up slow is now fully-functioning again. 

One point, if I may? Though I never saw Peterborough North in steam days (it was being rebuilt when I first photographed Deltics there), surely the full minerals will have come from New England Yard (on the Up side of the main line)? That being the case, it must have crossed over both the Up and Down mains; if so how are the Down main signals able to be pulled 'off'? They're visible in the first three pictures. 

If I've got this wrong, then my apologies. If not, I assume the signals are not electrically interlocked with the pointwork? 

Or, has the WD come off the Midland road from Stamford? It can't have originated off the M&GNR.

Regards,

Tony. 

The usual explanation, I'm afraid. It was just inattention on my part. I'd forgotten, again, to return the main signals to on after the last train passed, and I was in a hurry to get the photos of the WD done while I had a brief period of sunshine, so I missed that completely. You are absolutely right, of course. Any express coming through would have found a line of mineral wagons across its path, and even at 20mph that would not be a good thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5