Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, great northern said:

The 5.15 Up Hull brings yet another A3, this time KX stalwart Hermit.

1681979639_4109.JPG.1f7d3fe1769424af5d681d644399de52.JPG

It looks like interesting stock on the Hull Gilbert. My CWN shows it as mainly Mark 1 but it’s one of those secondary expresses which I imagine would have featured older substitutes. Do you have a photograph to base this on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

It looks like interesting stock on the Hull Gilbert. My CWN shows it as mainly Mark 1 but it’s one of those secondary expresses which I imagine would have featured older substitutes. Do you have a photograph to base this on?

Just taken from the summer 58 CWN, Andy. I doubt it was a much photographed train. Just the TSOs, FK and BSO are shown as being MK1. RK/FO came off at Doncaster, except on Fridays, when they went on to Hull. Next workings for those shown as 1145 Leeds-KX, except Saturday, when they were part of the 1115 Filey-KX, as was the rest of the rake, save for the leading BZ and BG. Weekdays, apart from the BZ, next duty was the 1715 Hull-KX.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Just taken from the summer 58 CWN, Andy. I doubt it was a much photographed train. Just the TSOs, FK and BSO are shown as being MK1. RK/FO came off at Doncaster, except on Fridays, when they went on to Hull. Next workings for those shown as 1145 Leeds-KX, except Saturday, when they were part of the 1115 Filey-KX, as was the rest of the rake, save for the leading BZ and BG. Weekdays, apart from the BZ, next duty was the 1715 Hull-KX.

I’m even more confused now! Is this an up or down train? I thought it was the 1715 Hull-KX which I have as predominantly Mk1. There is a similarly timed down train where the catering comes off at Donny. Is that what we’re looking at?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m even more confused now! Is this an up or down train? I thought it was the 1715 Hull-KX which I have as predominantly Mk1. There is a similarly timed down train where the catering comes off at Donny. Is that what we’re looking at?

Andy

My fault as usual Andy. I thought you were referring to the train which I photographed in full, not the one I posted yesterday and today, which is indeed the 1715 Up Hull. So yes, I gave all the details of the 1835 Down in error.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, I thought of that too, but his grandad is a friend, and a good guy, so I don't think he would have allowed that.

I was joking in this case, but it is a reason that lots of kids are off and they don’t all stay at home.

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

The classic view of an approaching Up train, when taken from the Down platform, often included part of the bracket signal, so it isn't surprising that when I go for that shot, it is visible too. The problem is that because of necessary compression, I can't get the camera far enough away to avoid in being somewhat out of focus, as can be seen here.

1741728928_2442.JPG.7f62d960188c748d25632b8d8132bd40.JPG

I've done my best with this, but it isn't very good. This is a really nice view, and one I want to carry on using regularly, but would it be better if I just erased the signal, even though it should be there?  All opinions gratefully received.

Gilbert

I like the view and one option is to simply crop the top so making it a nice wide photo with not much sky.

Andrew

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind the signal being there actually.  As you say, it appears in a lot of pictures taken at Peterborough station so it helps to set the scene.  Also adds a bit of interest in the left hand corner!

Edited by 31A
Typo!
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

I hadn't considered that. Here's how it would appear. What do folks reckon? Is it now a bit too narrow?

1678154035_2442.JPG.51b9f096481f72fc177dc35855bab66e.JPG

That is superb - especially as you don't see the west "fall off the cliff" end of Spital Bridge.

Inerestingly, the offending signal is not there in my Father's pictures from the Down Platform in the late 1930s (pre-WW2, when grandfather was sitll at North Box)..

Regards

Chris H