Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That B12 is a blinder. Triang crapped on this loco but your loco shows what a good B12 should look like. How long did it take the breakdown crew to re rail the 0-6-2T Gilbert....     :superman:

Three out of four isn't at all bad these days Larry. Getting things railed up properly is becoming ever more difficult, I'm afraid.

Three out of four isn't at all bad these days Larry. Getting things railed up properly is becoming ever more difficult, I'm afraid.

Tell me about it. I take my specs outside and still have difficulty putting something on the track in broad daylight. In fact my thread Xmas Card Fowler Tank has a rear bogie wheel off the road...

• RMweb Premium

Reading about all these wheels off the road reminds me of the Triang re-railers one could once buy. In fact I'm sure I saw something similar advertised in one of the mags a couple of months ago ...

New Year pressie anyone?

Edit - found it - Peco do one, only £3.

Edited by Richard E

Tell me about it. I take my specs outside and still have difficulty putting something on the track in broad daylight. In fact my thread Xmas Card Fowler Tank has a rear bogie wheel off the road...

And you can still paint and line those coaches better than 99.99% of anyone - someone poke my eyes out!!!

• RMweb Premium

With apologies to Larry for stealing his thread but . . . .

I too initially struggled with varifocals until I realised that the frames/lens were too small. They were much easier to get to grips with once I got larger lenses. You also have to get used to holding your head in different ways depending on what you're attempting to see/read.

Not withstanding that, as someone who seems compelled to spend a lot of time under layouts armed with a soldering iron and reels of wire or point motors, I find varifocals a complete pain in the rear so there's one good reason to stick with what you have.

• RMweb Premium

May I thank everyone that inhabits PN for a truly remarkable and entertaining year. However, may I also wish everyone a less stressful and sad year as has been 2014 in many ways. What has been quite remarkable is the friendship and kindness that has come through the ether in support of so many.

Gilbert, to you a huge thank you for allowing virtual and actual access to your great layout.

Here's to 2015 and I raise a glass to you all.

Sincerely,Phil @36E (i.e. Mad Duck)

• Like 3

May I thank everyone that inhabits PN for a truly remarkable and entertaining year. However, may I also wish everyone a less stressful and sad year as has been 2014 in many ways. What has been quite remarkable is the friendship and kindness that has come through the ether in support of so many.

Gilbert, to you a huge thank you for allowing virtual and actual access to your great layout.

Here's to 2015 and I raise a glass to you all.

Sincerely,Phil @36E (i.e. Mad Duck)

I will certainly drink to that!

I retire in six months time so I see the stress part of the new year diminishing.

All the very best for 2015. I've enjoyed seeing PN in the flesh and, more importantly, the dialogue between everybody helping Gilbert with his dream.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. As Phil says, it has been a year tinged with sadness, but we shall carry on, and with fond memories in our hearts. My dream of PN continues to exceed my expectations, thanks both to those who have contributed to the layout itself, and to the many who have contributed on here, both in generous help and comment, and in giving me either a boost, or a kick up the ****, whichever was appropriate at the time. Half a million views and counting, I'd never have thought it posssible.

Yet more trains have run, the camera being resolutely left out of the way, but to finish the year off, we'll have a look at another of those small trains hauled by a big engine. This time it is the 5.50am KX-Grantham, with just four vehicles, but they are rather nice ones. So here is Diamond Jubilee, gliding into Platform 3.

post-98-0-84084800-1420056425_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-58986600-1420056534_thumb.jpg

And a couple of those coaches. The light didn't do that lovely Gresley CK any favours though.

post-98-0-81816300-1420056642_thumb.jpg

A Happy New Year to one and all. May it be a year when your hopes and dreams come true.

Gilbert

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Another 'me too' word of thanks, Gilbert.  I don't suppose I would ever get to see the N5 in the metal, but PN and it's contributors to the thread have inspired me, amused me, and made me look at some things in a different light.  Sadness too, both on RMWeb with the loss of virtual friends, and off line for me personally in a year I would rather forget, having lost my best friend in an accident.  However, the antics of the Duck (Drake), your atmospheric photos and the 'craik' and friendship on here have been tremendous, I look forward to a new year of great things.

In short - thank you.

Neil.

• Like 1

Re the WD on a non mineral train, it was not unusual to see a WD on the local Grimsby to Louth (and further) daily pick-up.  From a modelling perspective it is interesting because they were often on their "test" run from Immingham after coming out of the shops.   Thus they were often in nearly ex-works condition.