Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Tell me about it. I take my specs outside and still have difficulty putting something on the track in broad daylight. In fact my thread Xmas Card Fowler Tank has a rear bogie wheel off the road...

OK all shout, in unison, Ducky, you sad lad....

Reason, I awoke at 03.05 this a.m. and unable to get back to slumberland, my brain went into overdrive trying to 'invent' cassettes with railing device at the 'business end'.

Then the whole sodding layout idea started to go to pieces as I wondered how these new devices could be incorporated and if my original design now needs a serious rethink. Not the location to be represented, just the way it might best be done in the loft space available.

Good grief, I really do need to drink more Brandy. Bolloc*s

P

OK all shout, in unison, Ducky, you sad lad....

Reason, I awoke at 03.05 this a.m. and unable to get back to slumberland, my brain went into overdrive trying to 'invent' cassettes with railing device at the 'business end'.

Then the whole sodding layout idea started to go to pieces as I wondered how these new devices could be incorporated and if my original design now needs a serious rethink. Not the location to be represented, just the way it might best be done in the loft space available.

Good grief, I really do need to drink more Brandy. Bolloc*s

P

When waking up at 3am, the only thing to think about is model railways.

To return to that telegraph pole, it looks to me like 2 wooden posts braced together 2/3 of the way up. A concrete pole would be in one piece, so wouldn't need the bracing, whereas a wooden pole would be about as broad as it could reasonably be at the width shown on the narrow side, and would need to be doubled up to give the extra breadth required. (I could of course be wrong.)

(Also, can anyone tell me if a pole has to be round, or can you have a square pole?)

Alan

Changing the subject matter slightly, can anyone help me with the bus on the bridge?

I'm looking for Eastern Counties routes that used the bridge, running with the highbridge 7'6" LKH type. And if you know the contents of the destination blinds, that would be perfect.

Stewart

Changing the subject matter slightly, can anyone help me with the bus on the bridge?

I'm looking for Eastern Counties routes that used the bridge, running with the highbridge 7'6" LKH type. And if you know the contents of the destination blinds, that would be perfect.

Stewart

Something to start you off, perhaps not the right model number

The Crescent Bridge carried the A47 trunk road through the villages of Longthorpe, Castor, Ailsworth, probably Sutton, to Wansford and beyond.

310 service to Upton just off A47 http://www.sct61.org.uk/ec189

http://www.sct61.org.uk/index/operator/ec

http://www.sct61.org.uk/

• RMweb Premium

@Mallard - rather than building the railer device into the cassette why not make it the 'socket' the cassette fits into?

Of course and that's just what I thought of this morning when I awoke at 01.36. Much more logical to have the railers attached to the 'stub sidings' and slot the cassettes into those. I'm not going for sophistication here, just easy railing and I'm sure Great Northern won't mind me saying that it will be a bit like his method.

P

Mr. Duck

I'me sketching the construction out in my mind still, but basically plan to have a 1" rebate out of the baseboard frame that the cassette will drop into - the baseboard frame is generally made of 2"x1" but for the cross piece which will run under the cassette, I plan to beef it up by using 3x1 so there's still plenty of 'meat' to carry the load.

The deck ( 9mm plywood) will be the same on both cassette and main board, so I can fix track to the cassette and it will be at the same level - if I make the timber a tight fit, and maybe use a securing dowel as well, then it should just drop in to the hole in the baseboard.

I've sketched it our below...

post-10395-0-42009700-1420542615_thumb.png

The plan is to build a long single road shed building over the cassette space that can be lifted off when the cassette is in use, and parked there when no stock changes are taking place - it will look like a carriage maintenance shed.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, that's a neat idea. Far too technical for me.

However, having chatted with Gilbert about such matters regarding 'named trains' etc. on his layout, I suspect my ACEs, the Cleethorpes, the Surbiton Car Carrier and the one long fully fitted vans will sit in long sidings and hardly be altered (depends on era and season).

The cassettes will be used for other stuff and will be simple affairs. I might just raise up the stub track to the adjoining height of the cassette track. I like the 'alignment' idea though; I shall work on that.

All this could mean less fiddle space being needed thus making it somewhat easier to build the 'Honiton Incline' section that I was thinking might have to be excluded.

Now, all this talk of buses has activated my other brain cell. I'm searching for an excuse to include a Royal Blue Coach passing 'the Junction' on a 'mystery tour from Exeter'!

P

• Like 1

Now, all this talk of buses has activated my other brain cell. I'm searching for an excuse to include a Royal Blue Coach passing 'the Junction' on a 'mystery tour from Exeter'!

Mallard,

Don't forget to consider Grey Cars coaches on tours round the area. Let alone a myriad of Independent operators in that part of the world

Paul 4475

• RMweb Premium

Mallard,

Don't forget to consider Grey Cars coaches on tours round the area. Let alone a myriad of Independent operators in that part of the world

Paul 4475

Oh goody......bus & coach exploration for east Devon coming up then.

P

Something to start you off, perhaps not the right model number

The Crescent Bridge carried the A47 trunk road through the villages of Longthorpe, Castor, Ailsworth, probably Sutton, to Wansford and beyond.

310 service to Upton just off A47 http://www.sct61.org.uk/ec189

http://www.sct61.org.uk/index/operator/ec

http://www.sct61.org.uk/

Thanks for that, though the bus is of the wrong type (LKD), I think you have confirmed the route for me.

The ECOC website http://easterncountiesomnibusco.com/ecocroutes.html does list the routes however.

Now what I need is a 7'6" LKH, with the old 2-track blinds, showing the wording!

Stewart

• Like 1

Mr. Duck

I'me sketching the construction out in my mind still, but basically plan to have a 1" rebate out of the baseboard frame that the cassette will drop into - the baseboard frame is generally made of 2"x1" but for the cross piece which will run under the cassette, I plan to beef it up by using 3x1 so there's still plenty of 'meat' to carry the load.

The deck ( 9mm plywood) will be the same on both cassette and main board, so I can fix track to the cassette and it will be at the same level - if I make the timber a tight fit, and maybe use a securing dowel as well, then it should just drop in to the hole in the baseboard.

I've sketched it our below...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-06 at 11.09.35.png

The plan is to build a long single road shed building over the cassette space that can be lifted off when the cassette is in use, and parked there when no stock changes are taking place - it will look like a carriage maintenance shed.

Hope that helps

- This is exactly what I need. The notion of a carriage shed exactly fits the requirement, too. I was wondering how to camouflage it!

Great help,

Hal

• Like 1

The plan is to build a long single road shed building over the cassette space that can be lifted off when the cassette is in use, and parked there when no stock changes are taking place....

...presumably with its own integrated length of track - otherwise you might find a pile of coaches on the floor? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

How do I do it? Very low tech, as is all the rest of it. I started off with this.

post-98-0-04613300-1420575412_thumb.jpg

One end firmly fixed, as above, and at the other end a similar offcut, which could be secured and removed using velcro. That however was not a great success in two ways.

1. It made the cassette system less versatile, as the cassettes can't be turned end for end, and

2. The ******* velcro kept coming away, as there was only 6mm to attach it to.

So I thought about this.

post-98-0-87034800-1420575659_thumb.jpg

I had a sheet of 40mm thick foam, so I just cut a piece roughly to size, and butted it up firmly to the end of the stock within. It worked, so I did the same at the other end. I've had no problems at all using this method. I wouldn't want to try thinner foam, and it does need to be cut to be a "squeeze" fit, but other than that, it does all that is required.

The cassette shown above is the very first one I did, and which I did without assistance. It isn't very good, and convinced me that it was a two person job - someone needs to hold things firm while the other person applies glue. In fact I paid a local joiner to do another batch in the end.

I'm a bit bemused I have to say, about the way others envisage using them. The whole idea as far as I was concerned was to put the spur in the corner of the fiddle yard which is inside the tracks as they leave the yard at one end. That way it is very easy to get a cassette in position, as the spur is right in the front of the operating well, and one gets maximum flexibility of operation too. Also, I wouldn't fancy having to remove a cosmetic building every time I wanted to use a cassette! which is another good reason for having the spur in the fiddle yard.  Personal preference, I know, but experience of using the system may be helpful.

• Like 1

Gilbert, thanks for sharing this - I love the lateral thinking approach with the foam!

The scenic challenge only applies to those of us who don't have a dedicated fiddle yard  - in my case I plan lots of buildings and bearing mind your comments may leave the walls fixed and just remove the roof to drop the cassettes in and out - no doubt it will go a long way down the list of 'must do's

P

How do I do it? Very low tech, as is all the rest of it. I started off with this.

attachicon.gifcassette 2.jpg

One end firmly fixed, as above, and at the other end a similar offcut, which could be secured and removed using velcro. That however was not a great success in two ways.

1. It made the cassette system less versatile, as the cassettes can't be turned end for end, and

2. The ******* velcro kept coming away, as there was only 6mm to attach it to.

So I thought about this.

attachicon.gifcassette 1.jpg

I had a sheet of 40mm thick foam, so I just cut a piece roughly to size, and butted it up firmly to the end of the stock within. It worked, so I did the same at the other end. I've had no problems at all using this method. I wouldn't want to try thinner foam, and it does need to be cut to be a "squeeze" fit, but other than that, it does all that is required.

The cassette shown above is the very first one I did, and which I did without assistance. It isn't very good, and convinced me that it was a two person job - someone needs to hold things firm while the other person applies glue. In fact I paid a local joiner to do another batch in the end.

I'm a bit bemused I have to say, about the way others envisage using them. The whole idea as far as I was concerned was to put the spur in the corner of the fiddle yard which is inside the tracks as they leave the yard at one end. That way it is very easy to get a cassette in position, as the spur is right in the front of the operating well, and one gets maximum flexibility of operation too. Also, I wouldn't fancy having to remove a cosmetic building every time I wanted to use a cassette! which is another good reason for having the spur in the fiddle yard. Personal preference, I know, but experience of using the system may be helpful.

With aluminium angle cassettes I use scouring pads trimmed for a tight fit. They can also be used to clean the angle whilst the train is in service and replaced cheaply.

Obviously the trains are not held in place by the scouring side.

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I think you might need some more 'young boys' for your platform ends!

This was taken on a summer Saturday in 1956 despite the school uniforms, where you there then?

Tony

p.s. And a wheel tapper!

Not in 1956 Tony. I know I was there in 1955 though, and they were very strict about where spotters could go. I'm surprised those lads were allowed to get to where they were. Not surprised about the school uniforms though. My mother always made me wear mine, goodness knows why. One year I got sent out in a brand new blazer, even before I'd worn it for school. Tore it on an iron spike. :punish: