Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up, after a week in dock having my plumbing zapped.

Gilbert........you extremely lucky young man. 

If I can find a Larry that has BRSR stock that suddenly is surplus, then I too would be an elated egg layer.

That RF is really the works mate.

Quackers. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLETS-LARRY-GODDARD-00-KIT-BUILT-PUSH-PULL-2-CAR-SET-/321636971181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae30eb2ad

As for unlikely clubs, ISTR a Tee-Shirt saying "Gobi Desert Kayak Club - Members wanted"

Lincolnshire is not somewhere I can claim to have seen much of, although my nearest small town, Bonnetable, is twinned with Horncastle. And in the '50s, my small primary skool had occasional industrial films arrive, one of which showed a Brooke Bond van driving up a long hill in Lincoln, I'm sure!

Just catching up, after a week in dock having my plumbing zapped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLETS-LARRY-GODDARD-00-KIT-BUILT-PUSH-PULL-2-CAR-SET-/321636971181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae30eb2ad

As for unlikely clubs, ISTR a Tee-Shirt saying "Gobi Desert Kayak Club - Members wanted"

Lincolnshire is not somewhere I can claim to have seen much of, although my nearest small town, Bonnetable, is twinned with Horncastle. And in the '50s, my small primary skool had occasional industrial films arrive, one of which showed a Brooke Bond van driving up a long hill in Lincoln, I'm sure!

Doesn't Alice Springs (or some other place in the middle of 4X) have a boat race, where the competing teams carry the boat on their shoulders along the dried-up river bed?

• RMweb Premium

Peterborough is on the edge of the Cambridge Fens and the area about 6 or 7 miles to the south, alongside the ECML, boasts the lowest pub in the UK at 6' BELOW sea level, the Admiral Wells at Holme. It is, indeed, pretty flat to the east and south east but most certainly not to the west and north.

Oh, there is a East Anglian Mountain Rescue Team facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Anglian-Mountain-Rescue-Team/109917539075764

Also

http://www.pidleymountainrescue.org.uk/ (Pidley is on the edge of the Cambridge Fens and is 88' above sea level)

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

OK I give up. Where is East Anglia?

P

Regnum Orientalium Anglorum is the land where the Angles live you know the North Folk, and South Folk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_East_AngliaFor some strange reason Cambridgeshire and Essex are sometimes included. :no:  And the BBC think Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire should be in East Engla Rice  as well. :O

In railway terms the GER, the nice bit where working timetables looked like highly detailed set of intructions but everything went a Anglia speed and arrived when it did. :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Doesn't Alice Springs (or some other place in the middle of 4X) have a boat race, where the competing teams carry the boat on their shoulders along the dried-up river bed?

Indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henley-on-Todd_Regatta

Just an excuse for a booze up, of course.

Rather rudely inturrupted by an actual flowing river in 1993...

Regnum Orientalium Anglorum is the land where the Angles live you know the North Folk, and South Folk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_East_Anglia For some strange reason Cambridgeshire and Essex are sometimes included. :no:  And the BBC think Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire should be in East Engla Rice  as well. ...

The irreducible core of East Anglia is Norfolk and Suffolk. But from time to time people add in extra territory for administrative convenience.

You can see why: bits of north Essex seem to have much more in common with south Suffolk than they do with south Essex, but obviously as it ends in "-sex" (is that going to be censored by the system?) they are part of the land of the Saxons rather than the Angles. And therefore they are furriners.

I always think it a bit strange that the Fens got split between west Norfolk, north Cambridgeshire and south Lincolnshire rather than being a homogenous whole (and clearly part of East Anglia), but I guess in pre-drained times it was more of a frontier-land of wild people and treacherous bogs than a coherent territory.

For some reason West Anglia is a core part of Mercia (not, as various railway administrations would ignorantly have you believe, the western part of East Anglia).

Trying to drag this back on topic, I'd argue the quintessential East Anglia railway was not the GER (which had all that heavy focus on serving London commuter land) but the M&GN, which meandered over bits of Suffolk and big chunks of Norfolk, before terminating at ... lovely Peterborough North. I'm always especially pleased to see MG&N trains featured on this magnificent layout (and, indeed, on Tony Wright's Little Bytham). And the fact that the M&GN reached Peterborough almost proves that it is, at least honorarily, an East Anglian city.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 3

Peterborough was, in relatively recent historic times, the limit of coastal navigation from tne Wash, the most Easterly year-round route from North to South, and the principal intersection of roads to the Capital, ports like Yarmouth and Kings Lynn, and main cities like Norwich, Lincoln and York.

I've always regarded East Anglia as the area bounded by the high ground of the Lincolnshire Wolds to the North, the chalk uplands of Cambridge to the South, the clay uplands of Northants to the West and the river estuaries of the Ipswich area.

The old boundaries in the fens were very much more a matter of opinion than fact. The arbitrary right-angle bends common in fen roads result from the drainage contractors following the notional boundaries assigned to the landowners who were paying them.

East Anglia isn't just the fens, though. The Fens are within East Anglia, but don't exclusively form it. The medieval definition was focussed about the wealthy sheep farming lands, places like Norwich and Thetford, Cambridge and Stamford; the fens were a wasteland on the edges of the known world.

West Anglia is an EU fabrication, I'd never heard the term until Council of Regions administrative structures and the associated propaganda began filtering into the public domain.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Well, who would have thought that years of thinking East Anglia was just Norolk and Suffolk should be well and truly altered by the superb knowledge of folk reading P North! Thank you. 

Oh yes "more of a frontier-land of wild people and treacherous bogs", that's actually Mexborough. :nono: 

I must also apologise for hinting that Peterborough might have been in Lincs. I do know it lies in Cambridgeshire due to trips down the A1 (or should that be up?) and using the Cambridge Services for rest stops. However, my excuse is that I don't get out enough, I'm old and I'm actually a duck!

Quackers. 

Edited by Mallard60022

When I worked for the Home Office (a Government department no less, you would think they would know about these things?), our countrywide structure was divided into regions. The Anglia region covered the counties (as defined in the rehash of counties in the '70s) of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, and Bedfordshire (we were responsible for the communications equipment of the Police & Fire Services in those counties). But Bedfordshire in East Anglia?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Oh, and Gilbert - congrats on 300 pages!

Certainly one of my "must reads" every time I get an update notification.

Thanks for being a wonderful modelling inspiration, and sharing PN with us;

It takes valuable time to photograph and post on a thread, which could be much better spent doing modelling (or even *gasp* playing trains) - so a hearty thank you for doing so.

Regards

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stewart,

that would not be pleasant as he is a fairly old Duck putting it politely.   :O

Regards,Del.

You're not suggesting he is gristly and chewy are you?

When I worked for the Home Office (a Government department no less, you would think they would know about these things?), our countrywide structure was divided into regions. The Anglia region covered the counties (as defined in the rehash of counties in the '70s) of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, and Bedfordshire (we were responsible for the communications equipment of the Police & Fire Services in those counties). But Bedfordshire in East Anglia?

Stewart

East Anglia should be defined on the northern edge by Boston, Sleaford and Grantham, the west boundary should be the A1 going south to the A14 then M11 to the southern boundary of the A120.

Peterborough was, in relatively recent historic times, the limit of coastal navigation from tne Wash, the most Easterly year-round route from North to South, and the principal intersection of roads to the Capital, ports like Yarmouth and Kings Lynn, and main cities like Norwich, Lincoln and York.

I've always regarded East Anglia as the area bounded by the high ground of the Lincolnshire Wolds to the North, the chalk uplands of Cambridge to the South, the clay uplands of Northants to the West and the river estuaries of the Ipswich area.

The old boundaries in the fens were very much more a matter of opinion than fact. The arbitrary right-angle bends common in fen roads result from the drainage contractors following the notional boundaries assigned to the landowners who were paying them.

East Anglia isn't just the fens, though. The Fens are within East Anglia, but don't exclusively form it. The medieval definition was focussed about the wealthy sheep farming lands, places like Norwich and Thetford, Cambridge and Stamford; the fens were a wasteland on the edges of the known world.

West Anglia is an EU fabrication, I'd never heard the term until Council of Regions administrative structures and the associated propaganda began filtering into the public domain.

The geographical start of the Fens is Stamp End Lock at the eastern end of Lincoln