Peterborough North

great northern

East Anglia should be defined on the northern edge by Boston, Sleaford and Grantham, the west boundary should be the A1 going south to the A14 then M11 to the southern boundary of the A120.

"Should be"? Says who?

As a Norfolk bor I'm prepared to concede in quieter moments that I share my region with the South Folk, but the idea that it also extends to assorted Saxons and Mercians, let alone those Lindsey folk, is beyond the Pale!

Actually, I'd be prepared for Norfolk's (and, thus, East Anglia's) western boundary to be moved a mile or so westwards to the River Nene so that Sutton Bridge can literally be the gateway to Norfolk, an honorary title it anyway carries.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Retford is in  Nottinghamshire....despite the postcode. It is even in Bassetlaw. Of that I am certain.

Darkest eastern 'bits' have never been the same since the M & GN was decimated. No wonder we can be confused.

Sincerely, 

Sir F. Drake.

Edited by Mallard60022

I'd agree with the A120-M11-A14-A1-A46 line as being a fairly accurate description of the various areas which have been regarded as "East Anglia" at one time or another. Peterborough is not in East Anglia, nor are Grantham and Newark. Stansted and Thaxted are East Anglian in character, but Bishops Stortford isn't. Colchester and Maldon are; Southend, no. Thetford, yes; Bedford, no. 

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with the A120-M11-A14-A1-A46 line as being a fairly accurate description of the various areas which have been regarded as "East Anglia" at one time or another. Peterborough is not in East Anglia, nor are Grantham and Newark. Stansted and Thaxted are East Anglian in character, but Bishops Stortford isn't. Colchester and Maldon are; Southend, no. Thetford, yes; Bedford, no. 

But, by using the A1 as the western 'border' you put Peterborough in East Anglia (which in the 'modern' definition it is) as it is East of the A1 (and south of the A46 which crosses the A1 at Newark) on its way to Lincoln. In fact Lincoln is south of the A46 and east of the A1 so that is now in East Anglia too :no:

I think the A47 would be a better northern 'border' as it runs from Leicester to Kings Lynn and beyond albeit passing to the north of Peterborough City Centre. Peterborough, it seems, is acknowledged as being on the edge of the Fens (Flag Fen archaeological site anyone and Holme Fen post as well, by the way the post is 9' below sea level these days). Indeed Holme Fen is a considerable bottleneck on the ECML and one that is still swallowing copious amounts of material in an attempt to provide a stable roadbed for the railway.

So historic views are, as you have said, rather inaccurate.

Still, we are hijacking Gilberts thread again (sorry about that) and maybe we should steer away from that although we are discussing areas that contain an appreciable number of ducks - Quack (did I hear an echo?).

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

Little Waltham no. Despite being close to the A120 but it is the Saxon side. We do have a ring of pill boxes to stop the Angles from attacking us, errrrrrr whoops it was another bunch of Germanic invaders they were built to stop.

I know Bedford isn't, I was brung up there.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Little Waltham no. Despite being close to the A120 but it is the Saxon side. We do have a ring of pill boxes to stop the Angles from attacking us, errrrrrr whoops it was another bunch of Germanic invaders they were built to stop.

I know Bedford isn't, I was brung up there.

Never thought I'd see Little Waltham mentioned here, my grandparents lived there and my parents married in Great Waltham Church! I'm originally from Brentwood, definitely not East Anglia.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When the tide comes in after the Antarctic bit melts it won't matter anyway.

Fortunately the model of PN is well above sea level (and the Trent).

Quickenders.

Many years ago my geography teacher got us work out if the ice caps melted what the rise in sea level would be and how it would affect Bedford. It worked out that most of our school would be under water but not the third floor, so we could still attend our geography classes.  :yes: 

By the way Quackers, it is a good fing you don't migrate, first you wouldn't find your feeding patch on the Fens and then you would be heading south not north. "Scott and the Antartic" was when he went to find the south pole, it is the melting of the Artic ice cap that would greatly effect us. T'was on Radio 4 last week that the Antartic ice cap is getting bigger but not as thick as it was.

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago my geography teacher got us work out if the ice caps melted what the rise in sea level would be and how it would affect Bedford. It worked out that most of our school would be under water but not the third floor, so we could still attend our geography classes.  :yes:

By the way Quackers, it is a good fing you don't migrate, first you wouldn't find your feeding patch on the Fens and then you would be heading south not north. "Scott and the Antartic" was when he went to find the south pole, it is the melting of the Artic ice cap that would greatly effect us. T'was on Radio 4 last week that the Antartic ice cap is getting bigger but not as thick as it was.

Para. 1 - Like it. :lol:

Para. 2 - I think melting at either pole will affect the whole world in terms of water levels.  In terms of weather though we might be affected more by the arctic melt affecting north atlantic temperatures.

When I worked for the Government Office for the East of England (1994 - 2006) "East Anglia" was defined as Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.  The "East of England" was East Anglia plus Bedfordshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.   The BBC's take on the East of England is determined by transmitter coverage, which is why Northants and parts of Bucks are also included, though you would never guess after some editions of Look East which is a particularly Norwich-centric programme.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I'm bemused, I am. Yes, bemused. :scratchhead: So much disagreement as to what does and does not constitute East Anglia. If Boston is included, then I'm entitled to join in the discussion, but surely it can't be? If it is, does Skegness qualify as being in East Anglia? Surely not. What a thought.

So whatever happened to Rutland?

Rutland is back again! However it is not part of East Anglia, nor ever has been. It is in the East Midlands.

Peterborough has never been regarded as an East Anglian city, it developed in Roman times as the interface between the canal, river and road links of Roman Britain and its industries - in Roman times, as later, brick and tile manufacture and arable agriculture.

The Vikings settled there, because it was the limit of coastal navigation from the Wash at the time, and remained so until Napoleonic times. The Normans built the cathedral because its location determined that it was the obvious centre of communications and authority locally. The Celts and Saxons took a different view, that the historic county towns of the surrounding regions suited their purposes better.

It became an industrial centre again with the coming of the railways, and the development of London.

• RMweb Premium

Para. 1 - Like it. :lol:

Para. 2 - I think melting at either pole will affect the whole world in terms of water levels.  In terms of weather though we might be affected more by the arctic melt affecting north atlantic temperatures.

As I understand it, the worst effect of melting of Arctic ice on the UK would be the weakening or diversion of the Gulf Stream. Should that happen, rather a lot of ice would come our way in the winter, which would be significantly longer than it is now. Just imagine the Daily Express headlines.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm bemused, I am. Yes, bemused. :scratchhead: So much disagreement as to what does and does not constitute East Anglia. If Boston is included, then I'm entitled to join in the discussion, but surely it can't be? If it is, does Skegness qualify as being in East Anglia? Surely not. What a thought.

Lady CPB and I took a day trip to that area just a week or so ago, and while having Skegness as part of East Anglia is not desirable it would be worse if the border was extended just a mile more to include Ingoldmells........ :O ......

Edited by chris p bacon

Wherever East Anglia starts or finishes, it is certainly well South of the Humber. East Anglia is within the historic Danelaw, but the Danelaw extended a long way West and North of the Anglian kingdoms. So, most East Anglian towns of any size have visibly Scandinavian origins, but the converse doesn't apply

• RMweb Gold

Peterborough has never been regarded as an East Anglian city,

Thats because nobody wants it.

Ray Townsin turned up a quote from a visitor to Peterborough from about 1800 where he remarked that the best thing about Peterborough were the roads out of it.

When Lady CPB was Town Mayor and we visited P'boro I did use to enjoy reminding the Peterborough Mayor of that :mosking:  He asked once what the best raffle prize was that I had won in Peterborough and I replied "a single ticket out of it"

• RMweb Premium

Well I might well get lost, however it was on R4 that I'm sure I heard a lovely lady explaining that there was a danger, as the Antarctic Cap thinned, that a really huge area would break away and thus become in danger of melt? I may well have not really been listening properly, so it could have been the Arctic Survey area? 

Anyway, I'm giving up on this talk of East Anglia being part of the Polar Ice caps, however I am now educated in the fact that East Anglia includes Cambridgeshire. I really had not realised that...sad!

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

Peterboghorror? In East Anglia? (Gets out Manx map) where is this area you speak of?  Not on my map, you must all be Johnny Foreigner!

It's handy the Fraggle Rock fits on one OS map sheet, we can happily ignore the rest of the world!

Now, where's that N5?  Has the Duck done off with it to bank his trains up some incline in his loft?