Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Peterboghorror? In East Anglia? (Gets out Manx map) where is this area you speak of?  Not on my map, you must all be Johnny Foreigner!

It's handy the Fraggle Rock fits on one OS map sheet, we can happily ignore the rest of the world!

Now, where's that N5?  Has the Duck done off with it to bank his trains up some incline in his loft?

Home rule....? Everyone else is going for it!

P

Don't forget than when we got regional ITV, the erstwhile Anglia TV originally broadcast to Lincolnshire. Though later on its area changed, trhe transmitter then being handed over to whatever company they now have up there (I can't keep up with the cnges, and I am in the comms industry!).

Stewart

Don't forget than when we got regional ITV, the erstwhile Anglia TV originally broadcast to Lincolnshire. Though later on its area changed, trhe transmitter then being handed over to whatever company they now have up there (I can't keep up with the cnges, and I am in the comms industry!).

Stewart

Surely no-one can seriously suggest using commercial tv transmission areas to define regional boundaries? For some insane reason it has been determined that the whole of west Norfolk should be part of the Yorkshire tv area. "Local" news tells us all about the goings-on in Leeds and Keighley, whereas Norwich and Cambridge might as well not exist.

And no, just because some civil servant decides it's neater to include Cambridgeshire in East Anglia that does not mean it's correct. Central government regularly produces idiotic ideas in every field of its work, so I'm certainly not paying any attention to them.

East Anglia = North Folk + South Folk.

That is all.

Paul

And no, just because some civil servant decides it's neater to include Cambridgeshire in East Anglia that does not mean it's correct. 

Tell that to the [former?] Standing Conference of East Anglian Local Authorities which embraced all the county and district councils in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire!

This just reinforces the view that there is no one definition of "East Anglia" which suits everybody.  Perhaps we should return to discussing Gilbert's layout.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Well I might well get lost, however it was on R4 that I'm sure I heard a lovely lady explaining that there was a danger, as the Antarctic Cap thinned, that a really huge area would break away and thus become in danger of melt? I may well have not really been listening properly, so it could have been the Arctic Survey area? 

Anyway, I'm giving up on this talk of East Anglia being part of the Polar Ice caps, however I am now educated in the fact that East Anglia includes Cambridgeshire. I really had not realised that...sad!

Quackers.

She might have done. Trouble with my work is I listen to Radio 4 as I drive between customers houses so never hear the full story.

• RMweb Premium

Tell that to the [former?] Standing Conference of East Anglian Local Authorities which embraced all the county and district councils in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire!

This just reinforces the view that there is no one definition of "East Anglia" which suits everybody.  Perhaps we should return to discussing Gilbert's layout.

Chris

Nobody seems to want Cambridgeshire. In 1881 when the army was reformed into the county regiments there was no Cambridgeshire Regiment. There was a few Territorial Army battalions that wore a cap badge claiming to be Cambridgeshire Regiment, but in reality they were part of the Suffolk Regiment.

As for Peterborough, which lies in the historic county of Huntingdonshire the army managed to mess things up things even worse.  

On 1 July 1881 the Childers reforms came into effect, and the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot was paired with the 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot to form the East Surrey Regiment. The 70th had originally been formed as the 31st's 2nd Battalion in 1756.

Taken from wkipeadia

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Surely no-one can seriously suggest using commercial tv transmission areas to define regional boundaries? For some insane reason it has been determined that the whole of west Norfolk should be part of the Yorkshire tv area. "Local" news tells us all about the goings-on in Leeds and Keighley, whereas Norwich and Cambridge might as well not exist.

And no, just because some civil servant decides it's neater to include Cambridgeshire in East Anglia that does not mean it's correct. Central government regularly produces idiotic ideas in every field of its work, so I'm certainly not paying any attention to them.

East Anglia = North Folk + South Folk.

That is all.

Paul

We've had the same problem here. For the last couple of weeks our "local" news has all been about Devon and Cornwall (and this morning we got London but that was probably a temporary switching error). Why have they messed around with the transmitters? Do I need to retune the TV and/or adjust the antenna? I am completely p****d off with digital TV. It is not that much better than analogue and goes wrong far more often. We have lost all signal several times in recent days.

• RMweb Premium

I think it could be a Geography Teacher turned Troll who is trying to muscle in and disrupt Gilbert's thread!

Gilbert will return and tell us all what's what.

I'm still waiting for those lasses from Donny to reappear on the down Platform................

Quaterduck.

Peterboghorror? In East Anglia? (Gets out Manx map) where is this area you speak of?  Not on my map, you must all be Johnny Foreigner!

It's handy the Fraggle Rock fits on one OS map sheet, we can happily ignore the rest of the world!

Now, where's that N5?  Has the Duck done off with it to bank his trains up some incline in his loft?

Where I live is sometimes called Fraggle Rock.

• RMweb Premium

My last but one Inspector coined that term for Mannanan's Isle whilst doing a presentation of our works....only thing was, it was to the Chief Constable and the Minister for Home Affairs amongst others!  Thankfully for his career they laughed!  He also said we weren't so much a YOT (Young Offenders Team is the UK term - we were a Youth Justice Team, quite different in function) so much as a leaky rowing boat.  He used to get away with such stuff because he was very, very good at his job!

Back to trains - that K2 is a right old clunker, very characterful.  Haven't seen her before, is she new?

• RMweb Premium

My last but one Inspector coined that term for Mannanan's Isle whilst doing a presentation of our works....only thing was, it was to the Chief Constable and the Minister for Home Affairs amongst others!  Thankfully for his career they laughed!  He also said we weren't so much a YOT (Young Offenders Team is the UK term - we were a Youth Justice Team, quite different in function) so much as a leaky rowing boat.  He used to get away with such stuff because he was very, very good at his job!

Back to trains - that K2 is a right old clunker, very characterful.  Haven't seen her before, is she new?

The K2 has been around for some years Neil, but because of my long sequence timetable and idleness when it comes to operating it, doesn't appear very often. It is one of the things that bug me somewhat when thinking about the layout - the number of locos that don't turn a wheel for weeks, or I suspect, months on end. There are now over 370 moves in the sequence, and the K2 is rostered to two of them, so it isn't surprising that it spends most of its time "resting". Really I have far too many locos, but then you see, I get bored if I keep seeing the same ones over and over again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Golfing is delayed till the afternoon today, so I'll take the opportunity to post a few more of my stockpile of images.

post-98-0-90386400-1429354690_thumb.jpg

The Down West Riding swings under Crescent Bridge, behind one of my favourite A1s, Abbotsford. No headboard - there often wasn't - but in this case it is because I can't find it. :scratchhead: The identity of the glistening A4 is now revealed.

post-98-0-30406300-1429354853_thumb.jpg

Copley Hill engines rarely glistened, but I reckon 141 is at least presentable.

post-98-0-25382800-1429354958_thumb.jpg

Carrying on with my policy of catering, hopefully to all tastes, here is the only original West Riding artic twin which still remained in the train by 1958. I just realised there is a horrible pun in there. Unintentional. :blush:

post-98-0-91026600-1429355199_thumb.jpg

The West Riding was closely followed by the ECML's premier goods train, 266 Down, always remembered as the Scotch Goods. Andrew K Mc Cosh is in charge yet again.

post-98-0-13201500-1429355337_thumb.jpg

About to plunge into the gloom under the roof, and showing a few wagons for those who are partial to them. Most of the photos I have show 266 Down held at signals on the Down slow, but it must have got the road on the Main when possible, and it is much easier to photograph on there.

post-98-0-78600100-1429355504_thumb.jpg

Away the A4 goes under clear signals, and if Bill Hoole is in charge the regulator will already be wide open. Actually, it won't be, as I'm pretty certain the train was booked to stop in Westwood Yard for examination, and if Bill was in charge, probably to have a wagon or two with hot boxes removed.

That B17 wgich has been idle for ages has finally backed onto the stock which will form the 5.17pm to March. Is that in East Anglia? :diablo_mini:

post-98-0-62578100-1429355701_thumb.jpg

Last one for now, and another shot of wagons by way of a change. I'm sure you won't mind that there isn't a sky behind these, as you will be concentrating on the train. I hope.

Before I go, an appeal. Does anyone who reads this stuff know anything about the keeping of tropical fish. Mine are dying in numbers, it is getting rather distressing, and the local suppliers are baffled as to why. Water quality is perfect.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The K2 has been around for some years Neil, but because of my long sequence timetable and idleness when it comes to operating it, doesn't appear very often. It is one of the things that bug me somewhat when thinking about the layout - the number of locos that don't turn a wheel for weeks, or I suspect, months on end. There are now over 370 moves in the sequence, and the K2 is rostered to two of them, so it isn't surprising that it spends most of its time "resting". Really I have far too many locos, but then you see, I get bored if I keep seeing the same ones over and over again.

That's OK, I'm a locoholic too, I understand!

No idea about the fish sorry, we keep Koi outside, not tropical.

Hello Gilbert, not sure if I've posted here before but I've read your thread from the start and have enjoyed seeing the development of your marvellous layout. Seeing as 60034 has made another appearance, I thought it would be appropriate to ask how Tim actually applied the T-cut before the klear, as I have attempted a similar thing with a garter blue A4 which caused white residue to appear, which was very difficult to remove entirely especially on the tender frontplate, however weathering will cover any remains. 

Golfing is delayed till the afternoon today, so I'll take the opportunity to post a few more of my stockpile of images.

attachicon.gif141 2 prefer.jpg

The Down West Riding swings under Crescent Bridge, behind one of my favourite A1s, Abbotsford. No headboard - there often wasn't - but in this case it is because I can't find it. :scratchhead: The identity of the glistening A4 is now revealed.

attachicon.gif141 3.jpg

Copley Hill engines rarely glistened, but I reckon 141 is at least presentable.

attachicon.gifartic twin.jpg

Carrying on with my policy of catering, hopefully to all tastes, here is the only original West Riding artic twin which still remained in the train by 1958. I just realised there is a horrible pun in there. Unintentional. :blush:

attachicon.gifandy 1.jpg

The West Riding was closely followed by the ECML's premier goods train, 266 Down, always remembered as the Scotch Goods. Andrew K Mc Cosh is in charge yet again.

attachicon.gifandy 2.jpg

About to plunge into the gloom under the roof, and showing a few wagons for those who are partial to them. Most of the photos I have show 266 Down held at signals on the Down slow, but it must have got the road on the Main when possible, and it is much easier to photograph on there.

attachicon.gifandy 3.jpg

Away the A4 goes under clear signals, and if Bill Hoole is in charge the regulator will already be wide open. Actually, it won't be, as I'm pretty certain the train was booked to stop in Westwood Yard for examination, and if Bill was in charge, probably to have a wagon or two with hot boxes removed.

That B17 wgich has been idle for ages has finally backed onto the stock which will form the 5.17pm to March. Is that in East Anglia? :diablo_mini:

attachicon.gifgoods.jpg

Last one for now, and another shot of wagons by way of a change. I'm sure you won't mind that there isn't a sky behind these, as you will be concentrating on the train. I hope.

Before I go, an appeal. Does anyone who reads this stuff know anything about the keeping of tropical fish. Mine are dying in numbers, it is getting rather distressing, and the local suppliers are baffled as to why. Water quality is perfect.

Hi Gilbert

Very nice selection of photos, especially A1 60141 Abbotsford very first LNER Pacific I ever saw, I especially like the way you have weathered it.

Thank you for posting them.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Gold

Great photos as always. Nice to see some goods wagons for a change. Regarding tropical fish, two possibilities, the fish have reached their natural life expiration date. The other is that some kind of cleaner might have contaminated the water, I believe furniture polish can have this kind of effect.

Apart from that, no other suggestions.

Mike