Peterborough North

great northern

Picking up Mike's point perhaps you ought to remind your readers that Johnsons Klear is not to be used to make water in 12" to the foot scale look realistic!

Great pics, and given the stunning weather I have to ask why no wee white all chasing?

Edited by bigwordsmith

• RMweb Gold

Regarding exactly who is, or isn't in charge of a train, I seem to recall a rather sour little ditty beginning

The guard is the man

The man in the van

The van at the back of the train

And the driver, up front

Thinks the guard is a - really rather splendid sort of chap, actually

And the guard thinks the driver the same!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Any signs of disease in the fish? Are they swimming strangely before they die? Do you have a large predator fish or any that are bullying the others from the food?

Very few signs of disease, just the occasional fish with a bit of mouth fungus. No large predators at all, and no signs of bullying. It is a complete mystery, made worse by the fact that I can't find all the dead fish.(its a large tank). So now I'm starting to get water problems, but if I treat them I can't also use medication. Catch 22, except at this rate there will be no fish left to catch.

• RMweb Premium

And the driver, up front

Thinks the guard is a - really rather splendid sort of chap, actually

And the guard thinks the driver the same!

The driver has the upper hand though when it comes to Class C goods. If he drives "enthusiastically", the guard gets thrown about a bit? And of course he was only doing so to avoid being reported by the guard for late running.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Picking up Mike's point perhaps you ought to remind your readers that Johnsons Klear is not to be used to make water in 12" to the foot scale look realistic!

Great pics, and given the stunning weather I have to ask why no wee white all chasing?

Oh, I chased it all right, but I rarely had to do so in the direction I wanted it to go. 8 degrees C here just now, and with a biting North Easterly, so no chasing today. Might even play with my trains.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert, not sure if I've posted here before but I've read your thread from the start and have enjoyed seeing the development of your marvellous layout. Seeing as 60034 has made another appearance, I thought it would be appropriate to ask how Tim actually applied the T-cut before the klear, as I have attempted a similar thing with a garter blue A4 which caused white residue to appear, which was very difficult to remove entirely especially on the tender frontplate, however weathering will cover any remains. 

Hi, We'd need to ask the man himself about that. I'll ask him If he can have a look on here and give you an answer.

post-98-0-90386400-1429354690_thumb.jpg

The Down West Riding swings under Crescent Bridge, behind one of my favourite A1s, Abbotsford. No headboard - there often wasn't - but in this case it is because I can't find it.  :scratchhead: The identity of the glistening A4 is now revealed.

"A copy of Gilbert's post"

Even without the cabside number being visible it was down to 60029,33 or 34 thanks to the superb rendition of the Cut-Down Tender.

Looks superb.

Mr Loveless keeps tempting me with his "O" Gauge offering of this lovely arrangement.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And so, as predicted in my post of 1258pm today, I ascended to the railway room, switched on the power, all ready for a running session. A few key presses on the Powercab to set the route for the first train, and......nothing. Investigation revealed that all was set save for the all important, nay vital crossover into the fiddle yard. Well, as you can imagine "Oh Bother" said I, Isn't that a nuisance" I may have said "drat" too. Then things got worse, because when I tried to set other routes, several of them, but not all, refused to work too.

I have two remedies when things go wrong with anything electrical, or involving digital stuff. The first is to switch off at the mains, utter dire threats, and switch on again. The other is to hit it with a big hammer. Fortunately, I chose the first option, and......everything now worked perfectly. Which is good. :sungum:

And after that I took some photos, and here is one as a taster of what is to come later.

post-98-0-56218600-1429480467_thumb.jpg

Cor! Could be one of those rare York A2/2's. But you'll have to wait and see, as it is bedtime. Goodnight all.

• Like 14

Great shot, Gilbert!

Can I plant a seed?  (and excuse the liberties I have taken with your photo...)

If you take the original shot, then tighten up the framing by cropping, its gets even closer - to my eye - to real life in minature.

post-8688-0-59601600-1429491002_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• Like 7

.... have those signals been enhanced to stand out against the "sky"?

I shall be interested to see the eventual solution of the scenic treatment of the abutments of the respective bridges. I've suggested elsewhere that Crescent Bridge be blended into a generic urban landscape with the power station chimneys and Cathedral indicated above the rooftops.

Spital Bridge is hard to envisage, because it seems to have just been the outskirts of the 1930s town... I suppose a generic landscape of 1930s semis, with the road in front, changing to the 19th century town? The present townscape of Bourges Boulevard, 1970s estate housing and mosque offers no guide to its appearance in tne 1950s

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

.... have those signals been enhanced to stand out against the "sky"?

I shall be interested to see the eventual solution of the scenic treatment of the abutments of the respective bridges. I've suggested elsewhere that Crescent Bridge be blended into a generic urban landscape with the power station chimneys and Cathedral indicated above the rooftops.

Spital Bridge is hard to envisage, because it seems to have just been the outskirts of the 1930s town... I suppose a generic landscape of 1930s semis, with the road in front, changing to the 19th century town? The present townscape of Bourges Boulevard, 1970s estate housing and mosque offers no guide to its appearance in tne 1950s

Nothing done to the signals, except a lot of photoshopping to get rid of extraneous background stuff that appears between the lattices. Unfortunately the light in the room is so strong that I get a sort of halo effect round things, and that does tend to thicken posts and other such objects. I'm no longer prepared to spend hours on each image, so they are shopped just enough to look presentable, hopefully, at the size at which I post them. A close look at a bigger image will show shadows which thicken the posts a bit, but it is so fiddly to get rid of them that I've given up trying.

The backscenes are, as I've said, a real headache. The power station works when looking from North to South, but not when viewed closer up from the south end of the platforms, when in any event you shouldn't be able to see it at all. I also have to factor in viewing angles from the operating well, so most of that side can't have any backscene at all, otherwise people are going to have to look down over it, which will spoil the effect. Same applies to a degree at the back, as there are some lovely views from that side which I don't want to block. Removeable boards would be a nightmare over there as there is only 15 inches clearance from baseboard to wall/windows. As I said, we are still thinking about it.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that there were railway cottages north of Mayors Walk/Spittal Bridge on the eastern side of the railway almost as far as Rhubarb Bridge. The western side I'm not so sure about, but oldmaps website seems to confirm that there was some residential development in the 1950's between Spittal Bridge and Westwood Bridge where the Westwood Works would have dominated the skyline. The main view through Spittals is of the extensive yard there in the 1950's though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great shot, Gilbert!

Can I plant a seed?  (and excuse the liberties I have taken with your photo...)

If you take the original shot, then tighten up the framing by cropping, its gets even closer - to my eye - to real life in minature.

attachicon.gifPN Crop.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Well, you see Scott, this is the next one I took.

post-98-0-99499700-1429531664_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I was just trying to create a bit of suspense about the identity of the A2, but also as there happened to be a busy scene at the time, I decided to leave the wider view in on that one. I won't do it too often though, I promise you, far too many lattice posts to deal with. And of course, Jonathan does like his wagons.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Looks a bit clean for a York engine - maybe it's not long ex-works?

A bit clean for a New England engine too Mike, which of course is what it is. Mons Meg was though, for some reason, very presentable in August 58 photos, and she wasn't just out of the paint shop either. The York engines were generally absolutely filthy though, I agree.

Don't forget that there were railway cottages north of Mayors Walk/Spittal Bridge on the eastern side of the railway almost as far as Rhubarb Bridge. The western side I'm not so sure about, but oldmaps website seems to confirm that there was some residential development in the 1950's between Spittal Bridge and Westwood Bridge where the Westwood Works would have dominated the skyline. The main view through Spittals is of the extensive yard there in the 1950's though.

The problem is, as has been remarked above, the necessary compression of the back scene.

My earlier suggestion regarding the Cathedral and power station chimneys is not geographically correct, but it DOES reflect the two major features which would have been visible S of the Great Northern Hotel and E of Crescent Bridge. Following on on the same spirit, the area N of the station would be bounded by generic late 19th century terraces (as can still be seen in a few backstreets), 1930s semis and the Spital Bridge abutment and access.

I don't believe there are any significant features E of the railway and what would then have been the road N out if town, in that area; so if the bridge abutments and access ramps formed the limits of the scenic section, the backdrop was as I've suggested, the existing model GN Hotel remained and the view under the Spital Bridge was of the yards there, I think that would be a recognisable summary of the town within the limits of available space