Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the birthday wishes chaps. Much appreciated, even though this is a difficult one, as it has a 0 on the end. Funny how 70 sort of sounds much older than 69. :O  Of course I don't feel any different, and I find it very hard to believe anyway, but there we are.

Anyway, I have some birthday cash from family, plus an article in BRM this month which will bring in more modelling funds, so I can now quite legitimately have a nice time deciding what to spend it on. :imsohappy:  This can't possibly count as locoholism, surely? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Gilbert

Now that you have reached the age for Gladiateur be assured that there is still plenty time left. Reaching nearer Grand Parade may be more problematic!

I suggest a dual purchase to treat yourself with your birthday cash, being a loco and a good bottle (or two) of claret.

Enjoy your day.

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes old bean. Aplogies for late greeting but have been savouring the delights of being hauled around Somerset by a Manor and a Hall today! Pity we can't find an excuse to have those on PN mate, they were superb, especially the Manor.

Catch up with you all at the weekend 

Quackers.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the birthday wishes chaps. Much appreciated, even though this is a difficult one, as it has a 0 on the end. Funny how 70 sort of sounds much older than 69. :O  Of course I don't feel any different, and I find it very hard to believe anyway, but there we are.

Anyway, I have some birthday cash from family, plus an article in BRM this month which will bring in more modelling funds, so I can now quite legitimately have a nice time deciding what to spend it on. :imsohappy:  This can't possibly count as locoholism, surely? 

Errr yes... :)

I seem to remember at school being given "the bumps" but I suppose we have to check for medical insurance now..... :blum:

Too true. In art school we threw newbies and birthday-boys down the coal chute into the cellar......... So much for their gleaming new school uniform! But then it was only a few years before that the world was going around killing each other, so I guess our sense of perspective differs from that of today..    . :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nonsense alert. The Duck has landed in the 36E nest.

Don't suppose anyone wants to admire a Manor or a Hall or some BRWR bits and bobs? Just for fun you understand. I know the LNER were very precious about things like this, however PN is BRER and much more open minded!

Quackers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:scared: :scared:  OMG, what's happening? Here am I with money burning a hole in my pocket, and I find that I can't bring myself to buy any more locos. Apparently I don't need any more, according to this strange little voice in my head. :scratchhead: I can't even make myself order a C1. I keep going on the Locomotion website, but there is some kind of mental block in place - I don't need one, and I can't justify having one. I don't really need any more coaches either. Has the world gone mad?

:scared: :scared:  OMG, what's happening? Here am I with money burning a hole in my pocket, and I find that I can't bring myself to buy any more locos. Apparently I don't need any more, according to this strange little voice in my head. :scratchhead: I can't even make myself order a C1. I keep going on the Locomotion website, but there is some kind of mental block in place - I don't need one, and I can't justify having one. I don't really need any more coaches either. Has the world gone mad?

Hi Gilbert.......................and Happy 70th.

Just go and treat yourself to a 70th birthday present to mark another decade. You don't have to run it..........but I'm sure you will but the emphasis will be that it is a birthday present rather than another addition to your layout.  It's a feeble excuse I know but gives you a reason not to feel guilty about adding to the fleet. Anyway it will become a collectors item and shouldn't loose its value...............another excuse.  Good Luck with your conscious!!

Grahame

Edited by BrushVeteran

Maybe you have become too close to your model railway Gilbert, so take your mind off indoor modelling for a spell and visit your local preserved railway for a nostalgia fix and recharge. Your birthday money will still be there when you get back! Your next choice of loco might not even be ex LNER. A Stanier 2-6-0s on an excursions off the LMR perhaps, or a 'Grange' on an R.C. Ormiston-Chant 'Build you own Locomotives' special.... :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, you obviously need a ###### (cat) to soothe your worries away whilst reading your article in BRM. (Very informative by the way).

Alternatively go to the GC at Loughboro', Saturday fortnight, where a bunch of loons from ANTB will be having a laugh at the expense of the GWR.

Sincerely, 

F. Elix.

P.S. Have thought of a method to fix your body to your underframe...................... :scratchhead: ..................(Gresley Brake that is)

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

You do HAVE 60113, don't you?

Gilbert,

Worry not this is not a Chronic Illness in the true medical sense were it's permanent. This is just a passing phase and will be instantly cured by the arrival from Denmark of the Gresley O2   2-8-0's. There must have been times that Grantham, Doncaster  or  Retford sent one of these fine engines South to Ferme Park and I seem to recall in your timetable a working to the old Great Barford power station that used an O2.

Get Well soon,Regards,Derek.

Gilbert,

As Derek says,I'm sure you can't resist a "Tango" or two as they were certainly frequent visitors to P.N. I know 'cos I've been there;got the T shirt etc. But I'm sure your aware they were often seen anyway. I continue to enjoy your thread ,though I know I don't comment as much as I should perhaps, so keep it up and thanks.

Regards,Roy.

Received my July BRM yesterday & excellent article by Gilbert on fiddle-yard planning. Particularly useful to me as I am currently working on the design of my 'retirement-project' layout. Just thought I would point-out however that the type-setting gremlins have been at work on the article on my copy of the magazine. I needed to jump from the end of the 1st column on page 81 to whole of page 82 & then back to 2nd & 3rd columns on page 81, then to page 83 to get everything in order. I don't know if all copies of the magazine are the same but I thought I would point that out in case others are having problems making sense of things.

G'day Gents

You've got Money burning a hole in your pocket, How about a C1 and a C2 (Henry Oakley) double headed, they did a few special's in the 50's and if that's not enough to get rid of all that spare money, you've got to much. LOL.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received my July BRM yesterday & excellent article by Gilbert on fiddle-yard planning. Particularly useful to me as I am currently working on the design of my 'retirement-project' layout. Just thought I would point-out however that the type-setting gremlins have been at work on the article on my copy of the magazine. I needed to jump from the end of the 1st column on page 81 to whole of page 82 & then back to 2nd & 3rd columns on page 81, then to page 83 to get everything in order. I don't know if all copies of the magazine are the same but I thought I would point that out in case others are having problems making sense of things.

Yup, I was doomed but eventually discovered the order in which it should  Presumably these days the mags are  a little confused set on a screen thingy. If that's the case then we are doomed all  (unless, of course,  thePC   or some young person's gooseberry  Editor actually edits?) have been read!

Alf Abbet.