Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

There were some interesting circuits up that pole too. I can't find documents immediately but for sure there was an LV - JO up there, several phantoms on the trunks and i'm almost certain an LV - to Manchester something or another.

Were they earth return circuits?

I always thought LNER HQ was at York and Liverpool St. was the old GER HQ - I suppose it made sense to move the executive down to London thereby being close to the levers of power at Westminster as well as the other big four companies.

One of the things I love about this forum - you learn something new every day

The NER HQ was at York and eventually after BR combined the Eastern and North Eastern Regions its HQ moved to York using the former NER offices.  I believe Gresley kept his HQ at Doncaster but Thompson moved it to London after he took over (which no doubt also upset some of the troops as it wasn't really sensible commuting distance back then and that probably didn't help his reputation either).

The trunks would have been all metallic and a phantom superimposed over two trunks. I suspect the long distance telegraphs were earth return. I note from the earlier drawing i posted there was an LV - JO via Peterborough. I have a suspicion there was another via the Joint too. Some good diversity of route there. I wonder if that was a wartime measure?

JO = Sheffield.

KM = Cambridge

YK = York

DR = Doncaster

BO = Boston

NG = Newark North Gate

LC = Lincoln

PE = Peterborough

FU + Care to take a guess? (You might need Chris P Bacon to help with this one)

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium

Parcel this morning, containing some new K class Pullman cars. Here are some hasty shots, and a brief assessment. I shall have to do much more research I think, but that is the norm so far as Pullmans are concerned.

First, here are images of both sides of First Class kitchen car Loraine.

post-98-0-30940400-1435753199_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-75199300-1435753217_thumb.jpg

First reaction is that it is very nice indeed. Next, comparison shots with two of the current 1925 cars, one aluminium clad, the other matchboard.

post-98-0-84472100-1435753339_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-70275500-1435753364_thumb.jpg

So, first impressions are:-  the ride height appears to be slightly lower, but only a little. Look though at the difference in colour. The new one is a noticeably lighter shade of umber, and the cream is rather yellow looking. I've checked the others that I have, and they are all the same colour as Loraine.

and finally, interior shots, apologies for the quality.

post-98-0-61443100-1435753452_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-85296100-1435753475_thumb.jpg

I gather that enhanced interiors have been mentioned. The obvious difference is that the portrayal of the lamps has changed, much for the better so far as I am concerned.

Next, some general comments. These are being stated to be in LNER condition. Well, so far as the Third class cars are concerned, that is partially correct. They are in fact correct up to 1955, when third class was abolished. I shall have to remove the letters, and substitute " Car no ** "  I don't anticpate much problem with that. Next though is the question of the Pullman crests, both beneath the cantrail and on the lower panel. Those were changed in later years, but when?  Are the First Class cars as supplied wrong for 1958?  Well, I'm pleased to say that the answer appears to be in the negative, at least in the case of some cars. Anthony Ford's excellent Pullman Profile No 3, covering the all steel K class cars is profusely illustrated, though of course copyright issues mean that I can't put images on here. Just a cursory look though produced a photo of Kitchen First Thelma, very precisely dated to 22nd August 1958, and still exactly as Hornby have turned out Loraine. And on the opposite page there are photos of Belinda and Nilar, dated 1960, and still with the original insignia.

I haven't yet had time to look into this really closely, but all the images I have seen so far of cars transferred to the Southern region in and after 1961 show them with the new insignia. As usual, if one wants to be absolutely spot on, a reliably dated photograph of the particular car required needs to be found - if possible. I've seen enough to have already decided to leave my First class Parlour and Kitchen cars just as supplied.

One further point - colour of roofs. As supplied they are white, and according to Ford that is correct, right up to late BR days. I can't now find the passage which I saw earlier, so as to quote verbatim, but the wording was quite unequivocal. How long they stayed white though is of course an entirely different matter. All the in service shots I have found show a covering of grey, save one, and that was a photo of the inaugural post war Queen of Scots, just leaving on its first journey. Mine will be weathered accordingly.

Very brief comparison of Third kitchen No 72 as supplied by Hornby with a photo of the real thing looks at first glance just about spot on. Comparison of Loraine with a late 50s image of the real thing shows a difference in the underframe detail, but whether that is because of some later alteration, I just don't know - yet. Conclusion, very good indeed, and what a boon to ECML modelllers!

• Like 2

I wonder if they are a better match to Bachmann 's mk1's. Thanks for posting Gilbert. I've not had a chance to look at any yet. On the issue of white roof's I've a Dvd of the QofS with older cars one coach clearly had a white (dirty) roof. 

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

JO = Sheffield.

KM = Cambridge

YK = York

DR = Doncaster

BO = Boston

NG = Newark North Gate

LC = Lincoln

PE = Peterborough

I'm a bit disappointed actually. There was me thinking, JO short for Jorvic, someone has showed some imagination. Sadly not it seems.

I'm a bit disappointed actually. There was me thinking, JO short for Jorvic, someone has showed some imagination. Sadly not it seems.

I was thinking it was John O'Groats :punish:  (I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing if the Aberdonian was running on time up there)

No idea if the photoshopping is causing the effect ?

Furthest in photo 6 looks much lower then the next nearest 2, then the nearest Pole looks a tad lower than them. Yet in the other photos from the other end they look fine

In the B&W the one by the van looks high = nightmare !!

Good luck and I would leave them alone too !!

• Like 1

Gilbert, it has been my experience that sometimes one should step back and leave things alone for a week or so, then revisit.  In the past it has amazed how something I though/visualised as wrong turned out to be more or less correct.  I suggest that sometimes we reach a point when we loose our objectivity.  Don't mean to preach, but just my thoughts based upon a couple of personal projects, one of which actually resulted in a completely different approach that ended up being much better.

• Like 1

JO = Sheffield.

KM = Cambridge

YK = York

DR = Doncaster

BO = Boston

NG = Newark North Gate

LC = Lincoln

PE = Peterborough

How about SANDY then for FU

• Like 1