Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, it has been my experience that sometimes one should step back and leave things alone for a week or so, then revisit.  In the past it has amazed how something I though/visualised as wrong turned out to be more or less correct.  I suggest that sometimes we reach a point when we loose our objectivity.  Don't mean to preach, but just my thoughts based upon a couple of personal projects, one of which actually resulted in a completely different approach that ended up being much better.

Thanks JIm. In the end I have done just that, and in fact I shall now leave them as they are until le canard next visits. After all, two heads are better than one. Or a head and a beak in this case. They will most definitely remain anyway. I should not post things immediately after something has given me grief, should I?

In the end, common sense will be applied, if I can find some. Different camera angles suggest different heights for the poles, both individually and in conjunction with each other, so it is never going to be exactly right, and if it were it would probably look wrong, if you see what I mean.

Further exciting developments may take place shortly by the way, but until they do, I'm saying no more...... except that I think they will have an equally important impact as regards the scene as a whole.

• Like 2

Gilbert,

I hope you don't mind me asking here, but given the high quality of guests you attract, indeed you may even be able to answer the question, but I'm wondering if anyone has a very easy to understand guide for wiring up double slips using A point motor and switch to get the right polarity on the frog?

I'm trying to wire up the Former Tetleys point work you kindly sent through, but it doesn't matter what I do, I seem to get a short circuit!

I have now managed to solder two fingers, painfully, so any help would be very much appreciated. I have looked at the DCC Concepts diagram, but found that just as confusing.

The pics just get better!

Many thanks,

Peter

Edited by bigwordsmith

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I hope you don't mind me asking here, but given the high quality of guests you attract, indeed you may even be able to answer the question, but I'm wondering if anyone has a very easy to understand guide for wiring up double slips using A point motor and switch to get the right polarity on the frog?

I'm trying to wire up the Former Tetleys point work you kindly sent through, but it doesn't matter what I do, I seem to get a short circuit!

I have now managed to solder two fingers, painfully, so any help would be very much appreciated. I have looked at the DCC Concepts diagram, but found that just as confusing.

Many thanks,

Peter

Have you thought about frog juicers?

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Many thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter

The tie bar, operated by a point motor, at the opposite end to the frog is the one you need to use for the switching of the polarity.

post-16423-0-13298600-1436292137_thumb.png

Any help?

• RMweb Premium

Made my day those did. 

Am I the only person that actually likes those Ivatts?

Poles good from that north looking south position as suggested. It's the Beast and southern ones that still need a bit of adjustment (as suggested).

Quackers (used to be mucky when I was a younger duck  drake but now I prefer watching trains).  

• Like 1

You're not alone. A bloke I knew like them too but he never saw anything when they were all over the M&GN like a rash. It wouldnt surprise me if Ivatt's mate Bulleid had a hand in their design...

• Like 1

Made my day those did. 

You're not the only one. Gilbert would ban me from this thread if I expressed a view on the relative merits of them and the spamcans beautiful A4s from top shed. (Ooops.)

Do I sense a :butcher: coming my way? :butcher: 

• RMweb Gold

While mucky ducks or flying pigs are all very nice, that bit of glamour at the end just does it for me, I can just hear it gliding through, the sound of the ejector echoing off the roof while it softly chuffs with the regulator just cracked, the low rumble of heavy Pullmans. So evocative those shots, I can just about picture myself on the platform while the majestic train continue on its way past, getting a whiff of freshly prepared coffee and the next course to be served (are we at breakfast or tea time in the sequence? I wasn't sure if I smelled bacon or sausages as it wafted through...)

Thanks Gilbert, always good shots but this lot is just superb!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You're not the only one. Gilbert would ban me from this thread if I expressed a view on the relative merits of them and the spamcans beautiful A4s from top shed. (Ooops.)

Do I sense a :butcher: coming my way? :butcher:

Not at all. This is an open and inclusive thread, to which all persons ( and ducks) are welcome, whatever unfortunate delusions they may currently be suffering from :mosking:

While mucky ducks or flying pigs are all very nice, that bit of glamour at the end just does it for me, I can just hear it gliding through, the sound of the ejector echoing off the roof while it softly chuffs with the regulator just cracked, the low rumble of heavy Pullmans. So evocative those shots, I can just about picture myself on the platform while the majestic train continue on its way past, getting a whiff of freshly prepared coffee and the next course to be served (are we at breakfast or tea time in the sequence? I wasn't sure if I smelled bacon or sausages as it wafted through...)

Cheers

Tony

What about that beautiful chime whistle though?

Bittern-15122007-york.mp3

(My ringtone on my phone)

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

Tony

It is the Down train Tony, left KX at 4.50pm and timed to creep through PN at 6.03, and a half.  The patrons will be well into the main course by now, I should think, or even onto the post prandial liquid refreshment. What a journey for a railway enthusiast. Sitting in the lap of luxury, and still daylight on arrival at Newcastle at this time of year. Probably best not to yell "cop" or "scrap it" though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today's weather reminds me strongly of childhood holidays on the Lincolnshire coast. That fine drizzle which you can hardly feel, but which soaks you in a surprisingly short time. No outdoor pursuits then, so time for one of my sporadic bits of modelling. I keep looking at the lovely triplet set which our duck so kindly made for me, and thinking that I really should get on with my part of the job. A package arrived from Southern Pride Models the other day, and removed one of my excuses for doing nothing, And so, work commenced.

post-98-0-59346500-1436795931_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-64599500-1436795951_thumb.jpg

This will be the interior of the first class carriage, and I'm working from the Isinglass drawing, which shows the seats as well set back from the windows. That means either that extremely generous leg room was provided, or that the Southern Pride seats are a bit underscale. Whatever, it won't matter, as little will be visible when the body goes back on. All I need now is some 4mm scale cutlery, correct for the 1950s of course, and a reminder of the correct colours for seats and carpets. Seats should I'm almost sure be blue in first class, but what about the rest of the decor? I've looked in Harris, and In Parkin, but can't find the answer. Can anyone help please?

• Like 2

attachicon.gif34.jpg

And we finish with a nice portrait of a very shiny engine as he glides by at the regulation 20 mph.

Needs a little something to finish the scene I think.

Care to illuminate me on it Gilbert? ;)

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look through my stuff and I reckon you will get away with:

First Diner. Dark blue seating with white head rests (were they called Antimacassers?). A slightly lighter blue floor and teak wall panels if you can see them. White tablecloths of course. Curtains; probably Blue? Teak vestibules (with brown floor?).

Third Diner. Orangy brown seating. Brown carpets. Teak panels.  Teak vestibules with brown floor. Don't know about curtains in 2nd class.

Underside of both roof mouldings in white/cream throughout.

I suspect Larry G  might know better.

Quackers.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a look through my stuff and I reckon you will get away with:

First Diner. Dark blue seating with white head rests (were they called Antimacassers?). A slightly lighter blue floor and teak wall panels if you can see them. White tablecloths of course. Curtains; probably Blue? Teak vestibules (with brown floor?).

Third Diner. Orangy brown seating. Brown carpets. Teak panels.  Teak vestibules with brown floor. Don't know about curtains in 2nd class.

Underside of both roof mouldings in white/cream throughout.

I suspect Larry G  might know better.

Quackers.

The antimacassar is a separate cloth placed over the centre part of the headrest only, the remainder of the headrest is in the usual upholstery colour.  (They first became widespread in the Victorian era; the original purpose of the antimacassar was to prevent the headrest becoming stained by macassar oil - an increasingly popular hair treatment for gentlemen from the early 19th century into the Edwardian age).

• RMweb Premium

When I 'decorated' my Gresley 1st class Dining Car, I was told the fabric was green not blue. I had a bookmarked page of coach interiors in colour but it has disappeared.

Yes I think they were when originally built Coach. However I believe they had changed to more 'standard' BR interior coach seating fabric by 1958.

Phil