Peterborough North

great northern

No I didn't forget. Honest... I ran out of petrol! I--I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!

(With apologies to 'Joliet' Jake Blues)

• Like 1

Something similar lasted (in non working form) until at least 1978 out in East Anglia..

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/East-Anglian-Railway-Archive/i-FSF2kXn

In fact these LNER lamps were used throughout the railway. I suspect they date from the mid 1930s when electricity was replacing oil and gas at bigger stations. Here is one against a roadbridge at Thirsk and a line of them at Norwich - looks like these have the same solid cast iron base, whereas some were mounted on old rail.

Tony

post-4594-0-20098600-1438614452_thumb.jpgpost-4594-0-85079700-1438614467_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rail-Online
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I also think that they were used quite widely, for here's an example at Filey Holiday Camp station taken on the day of the Whitby Moors Railtour (6th, March, 1965): [/url]Class K1 no. 62005. Butlins (Filey) Holiday Camp. SLS/MLS special. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr">http://5370350477_d13cd717a4_b.jpgClass K1 no. 62005. Butlins (Filey) Holiday Camp. SLS/MLS special. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

With regards,

Market65.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

There's still a goodly few GN cast iron lamp posts out there. (i have one for a start) This one is south of Peterborough. The circular lamp fitting modelled attached in the same way a gas lamp did.

attachicon.gifDSC09551a.jpg

How far South of Peterborough ...... is there a road nearby......and would it fit in the back of a Nissan Cabstar... :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How far South of Peterborough ...... is there a road nearby......and would it fit in the back of a Nissan Cabstar... :no:

Looks like Hitchin - Cambridge Junction sidings or whatever they're called - just north of the station on the Up side.

I have a feeling mine was moved on a Nissan Cabstar though it came from a farmyard in Hitchin and not lineside. Those in the down yard stand a chance of being recovered. The remaining ones in the up yard i'd say are impossible without a possession, plant, method statements and who knows what else?.

The torture of standing next to them with a Kirow and Salmon to hand was unbearable.

• RMweb Premium

Love those lamps and Larry is a clever bod with that whistle waft.

Good fun reproducing pics isn't it. 

Anyhow G, I don't suppose you have a D151 already do you as I need some points of reference just to confirm some detail?

Tisn't vital as that helpful Mr Welleans has provided me with some info.

If you had a photo of one in a book somewhere where the coach is clearly shown, that would also be handy.

Ta matey.

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

Love those lamps and Larry is a clever bod with that whistle waft.

Good fun reproducing pics isn't it. 

Anyhow G, I don't suppose you have a D151 already do you as I need some points of reference just to confirm some detail?

Tisn't vital as that helpful Mr Welleans has provided me with some info.

If you had a photo of one in a book somewhere where the coach is clearly shown, that would also be handy.

Ta matey.

Quackers.

I only have a Thompson RSP Phil. There is a nice plan of the interior of a later diagram in Harris, but no photo. I'll have a trawl through some books in the morning, and see if I can find anything. By the way, did I dream it, or did you ask a question about vans? The post seems to have gone.

• RMweb Premium

Poles, lamps, photographers. Oh what a plethora of stuff we have on PN.

Anyhow, on its way towards part completion for Gs delight and for him to furnish with bits and innards is a Pantry Third D151, later build (hence welded chassis).

I won't bore  everyone with the details that need sorting such as:

HD bogies, roof vents rearrangement, door vents, and extra underframe gubbins/underframe rearrangement etc.

I will tell you that this is a cut and glue, Hornby 3rd donor, with Bill Bedford sides.

Not too difficult, however it has recessed doors and I've not done those before so there is a bit of botch to be ignored.

I managed to retain the lovely alarm gear and almost all the water pipes (one bit to superglue back  :scared:)

SWMBO has told me to clean up the Conservatory floor (bits of hacked plastic everywhere). Pah!

Pantry end to the right  post-2326-0-32531100-1438783483_thumb.jpg

Pantry end to the left  post-2326-0-87244900-1438783491_thumb.jpg

I shall (probably) paint the sides and Gilbert will do the rest. He's good at that sort of thing and I'm too lazy to do those bits.

I shall be invoicing for £1000.25 shortly............................................................................. :mail:  :sarcastichand:  :angel: (25p for my biscuits) 

A8se

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 14

That's got to be one of your best to date, GN. I don't think you could do much better in terms of composition / perspective in terms of replicating the prototype photo. :ok:

Only thing that 'jars' for me are the O gauge sized loco lamps ... but that's getting to be a bit of a worn out record as discussion points go :punish:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I shall be invoicing for £1000.25 shortly............................................................................. :mail:  :sarcastichand:  :angel: (25p for my biscuits) 

A8se

Good luck there, I was going to invoice as it's his fault I'm re-building "Sandy"

"Nothing from a dry well" was the reply  :cry:

• RMweb Gold

Poles, lamps, photographers. Oh what a plethora of stuff we have on PN.

Anyhow, on its way towards part completion for Gs delight and for him to furnish with bits and innards is a Pantry Third D151, later build (hence welded chassis).

I won't bore  everyone with the details that need sorting such as:

HD bogies, roof vents rearrangement, door vents, and extra underframe gubbins/underframe rearrangement etc.

I will tell you that this is a cut and glue, Hornby 3rd donor, with Bill Bedford sides.

Not too difficult, however it has recessed doors and I've not done those before so there is a bit of botch to be ignored.

I managed to retain the lovely alarm gear and almost all the water pipes (one bit to superglue back  :scared:)

SWMBO has told me to clean up the Conservatory floor (bits of hacked plastic everywhere). Pah!

Pantry end to the right  attachicon.gifImg_0364.jpg

Pantry end to the left  attachicon.gifImg_0365.jpg

I shall (probably) paint the sides and Gilbert will do the rest. He's good at that sort of thing and I'm too lazy to do those bits.

A8se

Nice work Phil, late to this build so what did you use as the donor coach exactly please.

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Phil, late to this build so what did you use as the donor coach exactly please.

Hornby Gresley maroon and cream, Corridor 3rd No E12688EE. It might have come from a set (split from loco)?

Sadly they are not cheap but the M & C 'common' ones are less expensive on fleawotsit. For 'layout coaches' they are ideal. Even painting is OK due to Halfords' Ford Burgundy Red being just right. 

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I see a windscreen wiper which has ''overtravelled'' on the 31, plus it could do with a full repaint - not just the cab ends. Nice to see one of the platform lamps.

With regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Gilbert. Any chance you could direct me to the section where you showed your Cassette system? I'd look but SWMBO is pacing about and wanting jobs done!

Thanks

Phil

Buried a fair way back now Phil. I'll have a look as soon as I can. Is this for ANTB? I'm happy to explain things on there if Rob doesn't mind.

• Like 1