Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Can't find the photos I put up some time ago re cassettes, so I think the easy way to do this is to attach some images taken from my article in July BRM. I'll then tell those interested over on ANTB where to find them.

post-98-0-59574000-1438851101_thumb.jpg

Self explanatory really, the cassette spur is top right where the camera images are.

post-98-0-12877200-1438851229_thumb.jpg

A page from the article, showing cassettes in position, and the box in which they live when not in use.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert,

Those pictures alone are very informative. I did see the article, but must clearly go back and have another look. I have to say that I seem to come home from lots of shows with more pictures of fiddle yards, sector plates and cassette systems than I do of the bit of the layout that I'm meant to be looking at!

your questions raised a few of questions for me though...

What happened to 19/20 (I assume one of them is the spur covered by the camera icon), 23, 31 and 41? ;)

And more seriously...

How long a cassette will your spur allow? it looks about 3 to 4 foot from the photo, which strikes me as a reasonable length for loading up the fiddle yard.

I can't see any way from the plan of getting from the spur to the lower half of the fiddle yard. Is there a crossover between 9 and 10 or something similar that's not drawn or do you take things on to the scenic area?

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold

Can't find the photos I put up some time ago re cassettes, so I think the easy way to do this is to attach some images taken from my article in July BRM. I'll then tell those interested over on ANTB where to find them.

Thanks for sharing, looks a perfect solution to my fiddleyard

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Those pictures alone are very informative. I did see the article, but must clearly go back and have another look. I have to say that I seem to come home from lots of shows with more pictures of fiddle yards, sector plates and cassette systems than I do of the bit of the layout that I'm meant to be looking at!

your questions raised a few of questions for me though...

What happened to 19/20 (I assume one of them is the spur covered by the camera icon), 23, 31 and 41? ;)

And more seriously...

How long a cassette will your spur allow? it looks about 3 to 4 foot from the photo, which strikes me as a reasonable length for loading up the fiddle yard.

I can't see any way from the plan of getting from the spur to the lower half of the fiddle yard. Is there a crossover between 9 and 10 or something similar that's not drawn or do you take things on to the scenic area?

Kind regards

Hi Neil,

Originally the spurs above the cassette spur housed locos waiting to back onto trains, to save too much lifting from the under baseboard "locosheds". However, as often happens, refinements occurred to me, and now they serve a different purpose, of which more later.It does mean though that those spurs don't need to have a number any more. As to the missing 1's. Very simple, I ran out of them, but still had loads of other numbers left. Monty Python's Bruce sketch was invoked. Rule 1 - there are no (more) ones. So 22 insread of 21 etc.

Most cassettes are four feet long, which I have found to be the longest practicable when getting them to and from the storage box. They will hold four MK1's or twelve average length wagons. I also have a number of three foot cassettes, which are part of my latest cunning plan. I realised that a lot of formations in steam days had a central core, often SK CK SK., so I assembled three different varieties, using a mixture of MK1 Gresley and Thompson stock, plus one cassette containing three TSOs, which show up quite often in the official formation book. Then the plan becomes even more cunning. I realised that many of my trains only run twice in a 380 move long sequence, and that even those which are in cassettes spend much more time idle than in use. Quite like the real thing in the 50s, when I think about it

So, a flash of inspiration, occurred. Why form all of those trains fully? Why not just have a number of loose brake coaches which could occupy the other spurs above the cassette spur? Then I could just put my core cassette on track, roll it down onto Road 1, and top and tail it with the appropriate brakes. I've worked out that seven brakes can do the work of two or three times that number, and now have a number of three and four compartment BSKs, plus a couple of BCKs, all of which earn their keep much more regularly. I'm developing this theme further as time passes, so that some catering stock will also be "loose" and added when trains are made up. I've written another article for BRM about all this, which should appear at some time in the future.

The longest trains I assemble from cassettes are 10 or 11 vehicles in length, and require two cassettes plus loose coaches. They take a surprisingly short time to assemble and remove, and give me much more variety at a much lower cost. I do wish I'd thought of this right from the outset.

As to your last query, there are indeed crossovers which are just off the plan above. They were supposed to allow access to and from any road to both Up and Down main lines, though I subsequently discovered that I can't get from FY1 to the Down slow. Well, you can't have everything.

A bit more to come later, but now I have to go golfing again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert,

Thank you for your, as always, extensive and informative response.

I guessed that the numbering may have been influenced by a lack of digits!

The mix and matching of train parts to form the full train is also clever. With so many trains in your sequence anything to rationalise your stock somewhat sounds almost essential! I look forward to the future BRM article on it.

Enjoy your golf!

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert..That is very much appreciated and the mob on ANTB will be forever in the debt of the LNER/ER. The cunning plans for coaching stock in particular are gems; especially the Brakes idea.

Anyhow matey, do you just want the Pantry in maroon as per the other one we did? It's ready for painting, has all two grabs and all two  grabs and door handles fitted (Pantry end doors were not public? The sides don't have holes for the passenger end doors; shall I do them as the diagrams have them as opening/ public?)  Recycled Hornby Grabs too!

I have actually done the body to chassis fittings on this one (and it fits)!! That means your Hornby couplings are kaput, but I assume this coach will be KDeed for intrain formation anyway?

I removed one roof vent (filled hole and kept the vent) and then thought I'd leave the rest for you to have a look at as I think most can probably stay where they are.

You will need to source extra gubbins from MJT for the underframe; consult the drawings for guidance. You may want to get MJT HD Bogie sides too? Or maybe not!

Solebar Footsteps need replacing; I kept the ones I cut off.

Quackers. 

Edit to boast about handles etc. fitted this morning!

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's got to be one of your best to date, GN. I don't think you could do much better in terms of composition / perspective in terms of replicating the prototype photo. :ok:

Only thing that 'jars' for me are the O gauge sized loco lamps ... but that's getting to be a bit of a worn out record as discussion points go :punish:

Thanks :devil:  These emoticons are handy now and then, aren't they? The lamps? Yes, just more idleness I'm afraid. I should have changed them, but in the end I didn't, and it does slightly spoil the image.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I shall have to wait awhile for that one to become possible. Meantime, I am still valiantly resisting the remptation to get a C1.

Go on, you know you really do want one and all those great excuses you were cooking up a few pages back means you have declared to one and all that your locoholism is not yet cured!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

It is early I know, however it results in a sensible question from me for a change. Sun Castle? Has it had the Klear treatment by any chance?

Ducky.

You are too hard on yourself, dear duck. Preen your lovely plumage, and remember the other times when you have quacked sense. That shouldn't take you too long :jester: , then it is time to get up in that loft, and prove all the doubters wrong. This is subject to any tasks which you have been required to carry out, of course.

Sun Castle did indeed receive the Klear treatment by Tim. It was if not the very first, one of the first that he did, and I agree that it resulted in a stunning locomotive, right up there among the very best in the PN fleet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before I became incapacitated following SWMBO getting into the garage and deciding things needed moving and cupboards needed replacing etc. I managed a couple of coats of paint on the Pantry. It doesn't look very maroon but it is really.

post-2326-0-32497600-1439222513_thumb.jpg

No rest for Gilbert........! Hope I've recovered by Wednesday so I can deliver it.

Quackers.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Before I became incapacitated following SWMBO getting into the garage and deciding things needed moving and cupboards needed replacing etc. I managed a couple of coats of paint on the Pantry. It doesn't look very maroon but it is really.

attachicon.gifImg_0373.jpg

No rest for Gilbert........! Hope I've recovered by Wednesday so I can deliver it.

Quackers.

That is very nice Phil, and something rather different. It was intended to be a "loose" coach, used to make up a number of formations, particularly the Norseman, but now I've seen it promotion to the White Rose may occur, in place of the incorrect Thompson RSP in there at present. If I do that though, I only get to see it run twice in the sequence. I have created a monster. :O

Your output has shamed me into trying to make progress on the Triplet before tomorrow, with some success. I can state with certainty though that Fox carriage lining is much more difficult to apply than Modelmaster, the only redeeming feature being that it is much finer, and thus more difficult to see from any distance. Mind you, I am somewhat cross eyed after yesterday's attempts.

That is very nice Phil, and something rather different. It was intended to be a "loose" coach, used to make up a number of formations, particularly the Norseman, but now I've seen it promotion to the White Rose may occur, in place of the incorrect Thompson RSP in there at present. If I do that though, I only get to see it run twice in the sequence. I have created a monster. :O

Your output has shamed me into trying to make progress on the Triplet before tomorrow, with some success. I can state with certainty though that Fox carriage lining is much more difficult to apply than Modelmaster, the only redeeming feature being that it is much finer, and thus more difficult to see from any distance. Mind you, I am somewhat cross eyed after yesterday's attempts.

Stretched HMRS  works wonders.