Peterborough North

great northern

... Does anyone else think that the various pre grouping 4.4.0s probably represented the zenith of beauty of design in the UK? Johnson's original MR design...

Me too!

Johnson's 1808 (I think) class was adapted for use on the M&GN, and every time I see a photo I think it must have been one of the most beautiful engines.

I asked the Poll Team to include it in the most recent wish list poll but, rather sadly, it scored few votes.

Paul

We didn't completely lose power this time Derek, but it was way down, and kept varying, to the extent that the TV was going off and then back on again, and the same was happening to the acquarium lights. By the time I'd cottoned on, and turned things off, it was too late. The problem is that the starter in the units has blown through being asked to turn on and off so rapidly and often. Unfortunately it is on a  circuit board inside the unit, and cannot be replaced on its own, so a complete new unit is required. How often does that happen nowadays? The shop checked it all out while I was there, so I'm satisfied that's what happened, and they were very sympathetic, to the extent they only charged cost price for the new units.

What I could only call a bit of a B*gg*r my friend. Of course you can't replace a £1.50 starter in this throw away society, so a nice little earner for the Manufacturer.

Good of your local shop though  in this day and age.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget the N.E.R. Class R. Another beautiful class of 4-4-0.

With best regards,

Rob.

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list Rob, how could it be? And of course if we allow a trailing pair of wheels we let in the Robinson Atlantics, which must be very near the top of the tree of all designs I think. I'd love to have one of those....but all gone by 1950, and I'm advised a kit built one wouldn't like some of my curves.

• RMweb Premium

I do try to photograph just about everything that goes on at PN, unless I'm having a falling off, or even running session for visitors. We've reached a time of day when there are a lot of expresses and big green engines to be seen, especially on the Down road, but it is rather quieter on the Up, which allowed this 9F hauled coal train to appear.

post-98-0-94719500-1461102175_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-88714900-1461102228_thumb.jpg

If you ever want a really "interesting" job, try photoshopping the ladders on those signals.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I am no ohotoshopper, but wouldn't it be easier to take some stock photos of the signals from various angles on their own against a suitably neutral background.

Cut the offending/offensve oblects from the intrended shot, and photoshop the whole signal back in with a bit of blending the background colour.

I know nothing of photoshoppery, so I might be barking up the wrong leg.

Best Reagrds

& Keep up the good work,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I am no ohotoshopper, but wouldn't it be easier to take some stock photos of the signals from various angles on their own against a suitably neutral background.

Cut the offending/offensve oblects from the intrended shot, and photoshop the whole signal back in with a bit of blending the background colour.

I know nothing of photoshoppery, so I might be barking up the wrong leg.

Best Reagrds

& Keep up the good work,

Ian

That is a good idea, thank you. The problem is that my photoshopping skills are very limited, and I haven't a clue how to do it. Two layers, image and sky, are my limit.

Golf at Hinckley today, on a glorious spring day, hoorah! Might even see some trains, though nearly all will be units. Here is another photo of that 9F, which suitably shows off the impressive bulk of the loco.

attachicon.gif9F 3.jpg

Why is it so clean? Well it is nearly new, so hasn't had time to get really dirty yet.

attachicon.gif9F 4JPG.jpg

And now our man on Platform 6 captures it as it rolls past the spotters. Shortly afterwards, the stock for the 5.25pm to Kings Cross is drawn out of the carriage siding.

attachicon.gifD201 1.jpg

Should you be wondering why one of the latest products of the modernisation plan would be relegated to a stopping passenger duty like this, Railway Observer records that the Down Heart of Midlothian to Peterborough and this train back were regularly used for crew training purposes during the summer of 58.

Golf at Hinckley today, on a glorious spring day, hoorah! Might even see some trains, though nearly all will be units. Here is another photo of that 9F, which suitably shows off the impressive bulk of the loco.

attachicon.gif9F 3.jpg

Why is it so clean? Well it is nearly new, so hasn't had time to get really dirty yet.

attachicon.gif9F 4JPG.jpg

And now our man on Platform 6 captures it as it rolls past the spotters. Shortly afterwards, the stock for the 5.25pm to Kings Cross is drawn out of the carriage siding.

attachicon.gifD201 1.jpg

Should you be wondering why one of the latest products of the modernisation plan would be relegated to a stopping passenger duty like this, Railway Observer records that the Down Heart of Midlothian to Peterborough and this train back were regularly used for crew training purposes during the summer of 58.

Wonderful pictures Gilbert, love that 9F mate.

Today's featured train is the 4.05pm KX- Leeds, often the duty of an iconic loco. Today is no exception. This service used to leave KX at 3.50pm, and suffered the indignity of being turned onto the slow line on Stoke bank to allow the Talisman to pass. No need for that now, but it still gets routed into platform 6.

attachicon.gif60700 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60700 2.jpg

Hi Gilbert

Really like that W1 class and the going away shot from under the bridge just wonderful.

Regards

David

The weathering on 60700 is outstanding. It's EXACTLY as was the pieces of it's streamlined casing that I saw on Doncaster works, 1960...LOL

Of the loco, was there nothing.

Today's featured train is the 4.05pm KX- Leeds, often the duty of an iconic loco. Today is no exception. This service used to leave KX at 3.50pm, and suffered the indignity of being turned onto the slow line on Stoke bank to allow the Talisman to pass. No need for that now, but it still gets routed into platform 6.

attachicon.gif60700 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60700 2.jpg

Any reason for the assymetric lamp irons on the W1? - I checked with some photos and the real thing appeared to have them where you would expect....

Sorry to nit-pick - it's an impressive model and your photos of it are excellent.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Any reason for the assymetric lamp irons on the W1? - I checked with some photos and the real thing appeared to have them where you would expect....

Sorry to nit-pick - it's an impressive model and your photos of it are excellent.

Chaz

Four possibilities come to mind:-

1. I have managed to drill out one lamp more than the other.

2. I have used two lamps of different sizes.

3. There is a missing lamp iron, I have tried to positon a lamp where it should go, and failed miserably.

4. General incompetence.

Examples of all four of these can be found. As usual I don't notice them until the camera does, when I vow to put it right before the loco is next used, and then forget. I could claim vision problems as an excuse, but the truth is I'm just not very good at practical things.

By the way, I have not taken umbrage at your post, and this reply is not entirely serious. Mostly it is though.

• RMweb Premium

Most people seem to like pictures of 60700, so I took several. Here is the third in the sequence.

attachicon.gif60700 3 bw.jpg

This is another one I felt looked better in black and white.

I think the lamp irons were changed after this thing decided to fall over at the north end of PN.................................................those fitters can never be trusted.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I think the lamp irons were changed after this thing decided to fall over at the north end of PN.................................................those fitters can never be trusted.

Phil

Thanks Phil.I knew it couldn't really be my fault. :jester:

An iconic loco, simply because she was a "one-off"?

Look at how far folk traveled in BR Blue days to see the sole 05 and "Falcon".

On my visit to the Plant in 1960, near the scrapline we found parts of a streamlined casing. One of the lads asked the guide, "They haven't scrapped a streak have they?" in a wondering voice, and he replied that it was what was left of the W1.

Little did we know.........

• RMweb Premium

An iconic loco, simply because she was a "one-off"?

Look at how far folk traveled in BR Blue days to see the sole 05 and "Falcon".

On my visit to the Plant in 1960, near the scrapline we found parts of a streamlined casing. One of the lads asked the guide, "They haven't scrapped a streak have they?" in a wondering voice, and he replied that it was what was left of the W1.

Little did we know.........

I think it has become iconic over the years Jeff. At the time it was just the unnamed streak, showed up far too often, deprived us of another possibility of Kingfisher, and was roundly abused.

Having seen the remains lying around the scrap yard, I'm not surprised there was a remnant of 60700 still there a year after it was withdrawn, and as you say, it couldn't have come from anything else in 1960.

• Like 2