Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

More great shots,lovely weathering on the tank loco.

Does the station canopy lift off to give access to clean the trackwork underneath etc?

Cracking layout

Cheers

Ben

The canopy can be lifted off, but I do it as little as possible. Peter Leyland has built it to a tolerance of about 2mm, an incredible achievement, so getting it back in place is not a job for the cack handed, ie me. Fortunately, the track doesn't seem to get too dirty under there.

• Like 1

Given I'm (slightly) younger than some contributors and consequently missed mainline steam on the ecml (I started train spotting in 1982 so just missed the deltics too), I was wondering whether Silver Fox was a higher profile A4 than others, I guess Mallard excepted, in the same way KGV seemed to have the highest profile on the WR?

Certainly for me, I always noticed picture of a Silver Fox more than other A4s and recall from a young age seeing the fox attached to the wall of the NRM hence whether I wonder if it is as iconic to the generation who saw the loco in service

David

• RMweb Premium

Given I'm (slightly) younger than some contributors and consequently missed mainline steam on the ecml (I started train spotting in 1982 so just missed the deltics too), I was wondering whether Silver Fox was a higher profile A4 than others, I guess Mallard excepted, in the same way KGV seemed to have the highest profile on the WR?

Certainly for me, I always noticed picture of a Silver Fox more than other A4s and recall from a young age seeing the fox attached to the wall of the NRM hence whether I wonder if it is as iconic to the generation who saw the loco in service

David

I'd say that the most high profile were Mallard, Silver Link, Sir Nigel Gresley, with Merlin getting a special mention for excellence of performance. Silver Fox benefits from being one of the original four, and for its starring role in the Elizabethan film, so isn't that far behind. The foxes on the sides added something too.

You could pop a piece of grey card in the shot to hide them.  It will "wash out" with the bright light leaving you with the stuff in the middle ground.  

Another alternative is to take a shot without the full rake.  if they are meant to be hidden by front carriages then you are not going to miss them.

Edited by jon_1066

Gilbert

You continue to astonish and amaze with the stunning and totally believable pictures. You have an artistic eye for a shot and the result is always a delight to see. I was particularly pleased to see Silver Fox which is perhaps my favourite A4 though I did not "cop" that one. In Moorgate in London there is the Fox Umbrella shop which also has a silver fox to the same design in the window, It always reminded me of the loco when I walked past on the way to work.

Thank you as ever for evoking the memories of a time when things seemed a lot simpler.

Martin Long

• Like 1

Whew, where to begin?

Gilbert, the shot you said didn't quite work? well it did for me, until I read on and realised that the coaches were attached to the rear of the train I was looking at. Until then, they could have been part of another train and it all looked excellent!

As for iconic A4's, for us it was Mallard, Silver Link and Silver Fox, fastest, first, foxiest. I also had a soft spot for 60029 Woodcock, as I was taken through it's corridor tender by a guide at the Doncaster Carr loco sheds aged about 9.

Being regulars outside the plant at the Kirk Street entrance, and on  top of the wall looking into the paintshop windows, whenever we got to Doncaster, the "rare" Scottish ones were seen there, so no problems to us. I also went round the plant twice yearly and loved the place. Until it closed to steam........sigh.

Back to Gilbert: the patch on the side of 60003 could be some assiduous cleaning by spotters?

• RMweb Premium

Whew, where to begin?

Gilbert, the shot you said didn't quite work? well it did for me, until I read on and realised that the coaches were attached to the rear of the train I was looking at. Until then, they could have been part of another train and it all looked excellent!

As for iconic A4's, for us it was Mallard, Silver Link and Silver Fox, fastest, first, foxiest. I also had a soft spot for 60029 Woodcock, as I was taken through it's corridor tender by a guide at the Doncaster Carr loco sheds aged about 9.

Being regulars outside the plant at the Kirk Street entrance, and on  top of the wall looking into the paintshop windows, whenever we got to Doncaster, the "rare" Scottish ones were seen there, so no problems to us. I also went round the plant twice yearly and loved the place. Until it closed to steam........sigh.

Back to Gilbert: the patch on the side of 60003 could be some assiduous cleaning by spotters?

What a lovely little anecdote Jeff. Where I lived in Plymuff, such places as the 'Plant' were so far away as to be places of mystery and impossible to visit unless one had money to go on the trips that became popular in the late 50s and very early 60s. By the time I had any money to do such trips what I wanted to see was all gone.........sigh!

However, there was still a sort of special atmosphere there in blue diesel days, as there was at other old steam works and sheds, but nothing like the days you describe.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Whew, where to begin?

On top of the wall looking in to the paintshop windows! We never thought of that. :rolleyes_mini:  Plant trips were always greatly anticipated, authorised or not, but I was rarely fortunate enough to see the rare Scottish stuff. It was always Scottish Union, rather than North British.

• RMweb Premium

60003 has now emerged from under the roof.

post-98-0-47450600-1461836749_thumb.jpg

and I have noticed and corrected the headboard. :good:

I also photographed a couple of Pullman cars.

post-98-0-18605500-1461836973_thumb.jpg

This one because it was unique to the train.

post-98-0-46482200-1461837028_thumb.jpg

And Nilar because I remember it so well. I could understand Agatha, Sheila or Joan, but who or what was a Nilar? And why do I always type waht instead of what?  In the end I concluded Nilar must be something to do with Egypt, and left it at that. Can't be bothered to Google it just now.

• Like 17

Spending too much time recently lurking on RMweb rather than working, I've only recently clicked on this marvellous thread.

Though the station still existed when I worked on BR(E), your photographs of it with the A4 passing through makes it seem a lot more anachronistic than I recall.

Can I ask: are you a purist, refusing as a matter of principle, to tweak your pics with something like Photoshop?

For example your disappointment at the cabside number or the over intrusive Pullmans? Both are details that might easily be rectified.

(Also just in passing: is your choice of 'avatar' of consequence, such as HA Ivatt's daughter - Mrs Bulleid perhaps?

:scratchhead:

dh

Ed: I've only just thought to click on your profile and see from your thread about  photoshopping magazine images that you are prepared to try to anticpate and manipulate what the camera 'sees' before opening the shutter but are against modifying anything afterwards.

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Premium

Spending too much time recently lurking on RMweb rather than working, I've only recently clicked on this marvellous thread.

Though the station still existed when I worked on BR(E), your photographs of it with the A4 passing through makes it seem a lot more anachronistic than I recall.

Can I ask: are you a purist, refusing as a matter of principle, to tweak your pics with something like Photoshop?

For example your disappointment at the cabside number or the over intrusive Pullmans? Both are details that might easily be rectified.

(Also just in passing: is your choice of 'avatar' of consequence, such as HA Ivatt's daughter - Mrs Bulleid perhaps?

:scratchhead:

dh

Ed: I've only just thought to click on your profile and see from your thread about  photoshopping magazine images that you are prepared to try to anticpate and manipulate what the camera 'sees' before opening the shutter but are against modifying anything afterwards.

Welcome to the thread, and thank you for the kind comments. As to photoshopping, my skills are very limited, so although I could remove the bits I don't like, I wouldn't have a clue how to replace them with the correct bits. As you rightly say though, I wouldn't feel happy about doing it anyway. It is a model, and really should be shown as it is, so I will add a sky, but that's about all.

My avatar is a lady who I used to eye with hopeless longing back in the 60s. Jane Asher. She has worn very well though, as can be seen, so I thought if my  mate Mallard can have Jenny Agutter on his thread, I could have Jane. He seems to have abandoned Jenny now though.

• Like 2

On top of the wall looking in to the paintshop windows! We never thought of that. :rolleyes_mini:  Plant trips were always greatly anticipated, authorised or not, but I was rarely fortunate enough to see the rare Scottish stuff. It was always Scottish Union, rather than North British.

I was usually the one being boosted up the wall, since I'm small and always have been...at that age I weighed about 4st 7lbs.

The trick was NOT to have trodden in any dog muck while running along dog-sh*t alley trying to see what was on the stripping lines through the slats in the fence. You couldn't look where you were going and through the fence at the same time.

But climbing up a big boy's cupped hand and onto his shoulders, transferring dog dirt onto him as you went...suicide...

• RMweb Gold

My avatar is a lady who I used to eye with hopeless longing back in the 60s. Jane Asher. She has worn very well though, as can be seen, so I thought if my  mate Mallard can have Jenny Agutter on his thread, I could have Jane. He seems to have abandoned Jenny now though.

I wonder that there is a locked door in Mallards house, when you put the key in the door and turn it a voice in the room says "Daddy....my Daddy"...

Welcome to the thread, and thank you for the kind comments. As to photoshopping, my skills are very limited, so although I could remove the bits I don't like, I wouldn't have a clue how to replace them with the correct bits. As you rightly say though, I wouldn't feel happy about doing it anyway. It is a model, and really should be shown as it is, so I will add a sky, but that's about all.

My avatar is a lady who I used to eye with hopeless longing back in the 60s. Jane Asher. She has worn very well though, as can be seen, so I thought if my mate Mallard can have Jenny Agutter on his thread, I could have Jane. He seems to have abandoned Jenny now though.

I think JA has gone Walkabout'........