Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It says 'FIRST'.

Modelmaster, the HMRS and (my preference) Precision Decals all offer these. They make a surprising difference to the appearance of a carriage (along with the red triangle 'No Smoking' notices) for something so small.

Best ones for external application J. I really do not think I could get them straight and level on the inside (unless I use some sort of clever Tamiya masking Tape trick?)

Daffy

Not sure, Phil as I always put them on the inside. Precision Decals are waterslide, so I float them into place on a damp paintbrush then use a cotton bud to soak up the water and leave them in place.

I'd worry they'd get knocked off or damaged if they were on the outside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure, Phil as I always put them on the inside. Precision Decals are waterslide, so I float them into place on a damp paintbrush then use a cotton bud to soak up the water and leave them in place.

I'd worry they'd get knocked off or damaged if they were on the outside.

Would you be willing to share your 'method'?  For example, how to get them in the right place and then all the same!!!!! Do you fix them before or after fitting the window glazing?

If after, do you lay the coach on its side and work on the 'inside' set of windows on that side laid on the bench?

Apologies about this but I have managed so far to avoid having to do any of this detailing stuff. That situation must change because I'll have to do my own stock soon!

Thanks matey.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I always fit them last - one of the very last jobs I do. Glazing secured first and then carriage body laid sideways on a folded piece of kitchen roll.

BB_D7_CK.jpg

Remember that I always try to build carriages so body and roof are one unit and the floor falls away, so I'm applying these from underneath, effectively. It's much harder to do from above, but not impossible. Dip the paper with the transfers in water and them leave until the transfers loosen - hold with tweezers and draw the transfer off by holding it with a wet paintbrush and pulling the paper away. Use cocktail stick and paintbrush to move it into place - this is where the white background (the kitchen roll) helps. Line up by eye. Use a cotton bud to soak up excess water once you're happy with where it sits.

The carriage above has both 'Smoking' and 'No Smoking' labels, so one in every compartment window.

The ones on the inside windows are easier, especially if you've made the interior removable.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I always fit them last - one of the very last jobs I do. Glazing secured first and then carriage body laid sideways on a folded piece of kitchen roll.

BB_D7_CK_zpst2jubsv8.jpg

Remember that I always try to build carriages so body and roof are one unit and the floor falls away, so I'm applying these from underneath, effectively. It's much harder to do from above, but not impossible. Dip the paper with the transfers in water and them leave until the transfers loosen - hold with tweezers and draw the transfer off by holding it with a wet paintbrush and pulling the paper away. Use cocktail stick and paintbrush to move it into place - this is where the white background (the kitchen roll) helps. Line up by eye. Use a cotton bud to soak up excess water once you're happy with where it sits.

The carriage above has both 'Smoking' and 'No Smoking' labels, so one in every compartment window.

The ones on the inside windows are easier, especially if you've made the interior removable.

Many thanks indeed. Very tidy way of doing it. Yes, the 'paper' straight edge on the bench/table is a great idea.

Phil

... In keeping with my new policy, I leave you to decide what is worth looking at, and what isn't.

attachicon.gifD11 from bridge.jpg

This really needs the loco to be more central, but to the right of course is just a void, supplemented on this occasion by my arm, which I failed to get out of shot....

I'm so pleased with your new policy: I think the first shot is superb, and certainly doesn't need the loco to be more central - I love the sinuous "S" shape of the whole train snaking through the picture. It is an image of the entire scene, not a portrait of a single loco, and all the better for it!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I'm so pleased with your new policy: I think the first shot is superb, and certainly doesn't need the loco to be more central - I love the sinuous "S" shape of the whole train snaking through the picture. It is an image of the entire scene, not a portrait of a single loco, and all the better for it!

Paul

Just shows how I misjudge things, doesn't it? Thanks Paul  Something GE Section due shortly for you too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It looks very good, that B17. And I think you may have the Flu starting, for there is such a lot of it around at the moment.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

It looks very good, that B17. And I think you may have the Flu starting, for there is such a lot of it around at the moment.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Just a summer cold Rob, I'll be over the worst in a couple of days.

• RMweb Premium

Today will be a quiet one, waiting to feel better, as I soon shall.Test Match I think, and possibly Irish Open golf, as I have played at the K club. Just one image this morning, I shall see how I feel later as to whether I take any more.

post-98-0-31731800-1463649686_thumb.jpg

Another shot of 61603, featuring that second hand NE tender. It is something different, I suppose, and the appearance of the locomotive had already been spoiled by rebuilding, which achieved very little, as far as I can see. Very impressive castle at Framlingham, which I visited when about eleven years old, and several times since.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

For those who like to know, and see, train formations, here are those in the Colchester - Glasgow. A glorified parcels train really, but I think we established way back that the military used it to move soldiers about.

post-98-0-90192500-1463682042_thumb.jpg

CSK and end door SK

post-98-0-84078600-1463682104_thumb.jpg

SK, Thompson style, and Gresley CK

post-98-0-16304200-1463682169_thumb.jpg

Gresley BGs

post-98-0-38376500-1463682227_thumb.jpg

another one, and a PMV.

post-98-0-66560700-1463682276_thumb.jpg

And one more BG at the rear. Actually, there should be two more BGs, but I don't have enough yet. A locomotive later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

That is a really interesting train Gilbert. I rather like the unsung workings like this. I wonder why Colchester was the origin? Was it a mail hub or something back then?

BGs eh! I have a part finished Comet one lurking.

Hope you are feeling better after a rest day?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Colchester is, of course, a major garrison town even today. That in itself would have, in times past, created a substantial amount of postal traffic.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Do you have the train formation/marshaling book that includes this train, because it would give the destinations of the various vans or their loads. That might help with Phil's question regarding Colchester being a mail hub.

When I was posted in Colchester there was a drive to send us squaddies via Ipswich and Peterborough if going up north rather than via London. It was the time one of the clerks tried to give me a travel warrant to Bedford, via Ipswich, Peterborough and Leicester. I promptly told him to **** off and said I would hitch hike home as it would be quicker. It was.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Colchester is, of course, a major garrison town even today. That in itself would have, in times past, created a substantial amount of postal traffic.

Lots like this one.

Dear Mum

I am broke, again. Can you send me a postal order please.

Your loving son

Clive

PS Hope you and dad are alright.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Do you have the train formation/marshaling book that includes this train, because it would give the destinations of the various vans or their loads. That might help with Phil's question regarding Colchester being a mail hub.

When I was posted in Colchester there was a drive to send us squaddies via Ipswich and Peterborough if going up north rather than via London. It was the time one of the clerks tried to give me a travel warrant to Bedford, via Ipswich, Peterborough and Leicester. I promptly told him to **** off and said I would hitch hike home as it would be quicker. It was.

Official formation states:-

BG Cambridge - Glasgow  traffic for York Edinburgh and Glasgow.

BG Colchester- Edinburgh  Letter mails. Priority traffic fpr Doncaster York and Newcastle.

BG Colchester -Edinburgh  Traffic for Doncaster Newcastle and Edinburgh, and transfer.

BG Ipswich - Edinburgh 

Bracketted as traffic for Doncaster York Newcastle and Edinburgh

BG Lowestoft- Edinburgh 

BG South Lynn - Edinburgh Traffic for York Newcastle and Edinburgh

PMV (sealed) TThO  Baldock - Glasgow  Traffic for Edinburgh and Glasgow.

BG  Cambridge- Edinburgh  Traffic for Doncaster Hull and West Riding.

First of all, I wonder what was in that sealed PMV? Second, the South Lynn BG would logically have been added at Peterborough. East or North, though? Can anyone interpret all this information for us please.

• Like 1