Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Well folks, predictably I couldn't resist unpacking most of my stock and putting it in the fiddle yard, even though I shall have to take a lot of it off again, as I haven't finished wiring. The good news is that it almost works as I had calculated that it should, so 10 coach trains look feasible.That is very important particulary when dealing with Leeds expresses, which all had at least a Bradford portion of three or four coaches. With two catering vehicles in the main part of the train, things don't look right if I model the Bradford portion in full, so 9 coaches is good, but ten is even better. :D

We do though have one of life's little mysteries. All of the trains were individually packed and labelled, and I have carefully unpacked them in the same order. Why then is it that I find some coaches with kadees in the middle of a rake of tension locks? They won't couple now, but I swear they did when they were on the old layout. And why am I now two Mk1 CK's short? Anyway, here are a few pics.

post-98-0-09201400-1301837161_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-67632900-1301837204_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-41587500-1301837248_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-66136200-1301837294_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-05262700-1301837336_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-93098300-1301837383_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-47879100-1301837428_thumb.jpg

You may notice that I have at last remembered that I have a zoom thingy on my camera. :blink:

• Like 9

Gilbert,

In the words of a true northerner, "I'm gobsmacked". !!!!!!! Absolutely fantastic. I'd love to put my name on the list of Operators, but I suppose it will be a case of "waiting for dead men's shoes".

Stuart

• Like 2

Gilbert, forgot to mention: My lovely BR Blue, single chimney A4 arrived yesterday. Together with the teak gresleys it looks just great although it should really have the Thompsons. Of course, it will be "The Capitals Limited", not "The Elizabethan" !!!! All I need now are the catering vehicles

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love to see a nicely filled fiddle yard! There is space for Engines isn't there?

Simon

Hi Simon,

To get the length of trains I want means I can't store locos on some of the roads. The plan is that the locos will be on shelves, and when needed will be transferred by loco lift to dead end stubs at each end of the layout. From there they will reverse onto their trains. Well, that's the theory anyway. I have, surprise surprise, far more locos than trains, so there will be a loco change for every train after each duty.

I've been trying to remember what the oldest item on the layout is. I'm not sure, but I know some things are 20+ years old. Just shows what you can build up over a long period of time. That's the only reason that there is so much on there now.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

In the words of a true northerner, "I'm gobsmacked". !!!!!!! Absolutely fantastic. I'd love to put my name on the list of Operators, but I suppose it will be a case of "waiting for dead men's shoes".

Stuart

Stuart,

If you want to come and operate it when it's up and running you will be more than welcome. Unfortunately it means a bit more than just popping round the corner though, doesn't it? :(

Stuart,

If you want to come and operate it when it's up and running you will be more than welcome. Unfortunately it means a bit more than just popping round the corner though, doesn't it? :(

Unfortunately, yes. Still, I might manage a quick trip to the lineside, just like the old days.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Incredible. :blink:

I dream of having that much space and accurate rakes! :)

So did I, for many years. There aren't many benefits to getting older and reaching pension age, but this is one of them. Not having anyone around to ask awkward questions about petty details such as how much something cost helps too. B)

• Like 1

Guest LNER Tom

What a difference a month makes! Can't believe the difference since I last saw the layout! I'm guessing the increase in stock makes a difference!

The far corner is looking more complete now ;) but as we all know.....much more to do yet :lol:

Looks the business Gilbert!

• RMweb Premium

What a difference a month makes! Can't believe the difference since I last saw the layout! I'm guessing the increase in stock makes a difference!

The far corner is looking more complete now ;) but as we all know.....much more to do yet :lol:

Looks the business Gilbert!

I think putting the stock on is what starts to bring it to life Tom, and yes, it is all coming together now, very quickly really :D I'm hoping that we may be able to run trains all the way round within six weeks at the outside. The buildings will be coming on too, as will the signals, so things should continue to develop pretty well.

Guest LNER Tom

I think putting the stock on is what starts to bring it to life Tom, and yes, it is all coming together now, very quickly really :D I'm hoping that we may be able to run trains all the way round within six weeks at the outside. The buildings will be coming on too, as will the signals, so things should continue to develop pretty well.

Running locos around the whole layout..... :blink: that soon!

May I make another visit :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Here's a bit of idle messing about, but quite interesting. Three V2's:-

post-98-0-46414200-1301949015_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-74948700-1301949065_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-24851400-1301949112_thumb.jpg

One is standard Bachmann renumbered and weathered. Another is also Bachmann but with a new chimney and dome,a fixed Cartazzi truck and a Rathbone weathering job. The third is scratchbuilt and again Ian Rathbone did the painting. What do you reckon? Obviously the scratchbuilt one is better, but how much better than the "tweaked" Bachmann one? And what do you think is the biggest let down of the standard Bachmann product? I'll be interested to see if you agree with me.

While I had the camera on the tripod, and knowing some of you like photos of ECML power, here's a line up in the fiddle yard. There are no lamps on the locos yet, for which I apologise. I know where they are, I put them somewhere safe...... :rolleyes:

post-98-0-25665500-1301949647_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Envy is a wicked thing ;) Re the V2's the tweaked Bachmann model isn't bad. Where did you get the Chimney and dome from?

I do wonder what the "new" Bachmann offering will be like. I spoke to PDK a few days ago apparently the V2 will be available by the end of May...

• RMweb Premium

Envy is a wicked thing ;) Re the V2's the tweaked Bachmann model isn't bad. Where did you get the Chimney and dome from?

I do wonder what the "new" Bachmann offering will be like. I spoke to PDK a few days ago apparently the V2 will be available by the end of May...

Ian Rathbone sourced the parts David, so I'm afraid I don't know. Personally I think those boiler mountings plus the fixed Cartazzi improve the thing considerably. The "new" Bachmann offering as I understand it will have the fixed Cartazzi, plus a wholly new chassis, but no other upgrades. It will undoubtedly run much better, which is a big plus. Is the rest that bad? The thing I really noticed when I looked at those photos was the yawning loco to tender gap. That really does destroy any illusion of reality, and I don't know how I have put up with it until now. I wonder if they will improve that?

The PDK kit available by the end of May? How could you David? Only this morning I assured my finacial adviser that there were no more expensive kit built locos on my wish list. Oh well, good resolutions fly out of the window yet again.

The gap is fixable as is the Cartazzi. Be there done that etc, etc..

I hoped for a 21st century model.

Still fighting Bow pens to night on a Thompson First with ladies Restroom to be rostered in the Flying Scotsman. Ian Rathbone makes lining look easy!

• RMweb Premium

The gap is fixable as is the Cartazzi. Be there done that etc, etc..

I hoped for a 21st century model.

Still fighting Bow pens to night on a Thompson First with ladies Restroom to be rostered in the Flying Scotsman. Ian Rathbone makes lining look easy!

Yeah, Ian's got a lot of that manual dexterity stuff David. Any idea where I might be able to get some? :D As to Bachmann, I think they have stated that they will concentrate on new models, rather than do new tooling for existing ones. Looking on the bright side, the new chassis on the V2 and B1 will at least give a decent running loco for a very reasonable price, and as you say, some of the defects can be remedied quite easily. I don't know how I have missed that loco to tender gap for so long. it will now be attended to PDQ.

Its a shame that the V2 body isnt being upgraded. The moulding looks poor compared to current mouldings , the tender with fixed coal etc needs a much better moulding too.

It will be interesting to compare the B1 with the new Hornby when it arrives that is a much better body than the V2., but again the tender lets it down. I must have a good B1 never had a problem with it :D

• RMweb Premium

The trouble with Bachmann split chassis is that it's a total lottery as to what you get. I have one B1 that runs absolutely beautifully, three which are OK and another two which are and always have been poor. My V2's run OK, but sound like a bag of nails. I was beginning to worry that they were all getting to a mileage where I could expect serious chassis failures, and until recently there was no plan B, or not without considerable expense anyway.

I'll wait to see what the Hornby B1 is like, and compare it with Bachmann with the new chassis. As to the V2, the more I look I feel that the modifications to boiler mountings Cartazzi and tender do make it into a fair representation of the real thing, to the extent at least that my scratch built one is not, and a PDK one will not be, ten times better. As either choice costs ten times as much, economic sense dictates that a bit of compromise is a good idea. Layouts as large as mine require both classes in large numbers, particularly V2's, as New England had more than 30 of them, so RTR becomes an essential part of my plans. In fact the more I think about it the whole thing would have been impossible to contemplate without the excellent Bachmann MK 1's, and A1, and the Hornby A3 and A4.......

• Like 2