Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Update. A supervisory chappie has taken a stroll down the platform, and discovered that the loads on the trolleys are also firmly glued in place. As they came from Tetleys Mills, no-one at PN is prepared to accept any responsibility. There seems to be a bit of a stand off here. Is a cursor called what it is because it is regularly cursed by lots of people?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, great northern said:

Update. A supervisory chappie has taken a stroll down the platform, and discovered that the loads on the trolleys are also firmly glued in place. As they came from Tetleys Mills, no-one at PN is prepared to accept any responsibility. There seems to be a bit of a stand off here. Is a cursor called what it is because it is regularly cursed by lots of people?

Explanation accepted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrDobilina said:

Oh lord, I know what my girlfiend (whose entire family are spurs fans including one train enthusiast) will actually WANT me to find next! Not that I can actualyl find any of tottenham hotspur for sale anywhere....

Will keep my eye out! 

Beautiful shot as always.

Hornby haven't done Tottenham Hotspur, so mine has been Timmed to get it. I did point out to Simon Kohler some years ago when I was making the case for a new B17 tooling that 61630 was the only footballer which had a GE tender, and might make a good limited edition for that reason, but as they have saturated the market with B17s recently, it may be a long time coming, if at all.

• RMweb Premium

The 'second' pictures from yesterday evening and this morning show some interesting and 'different' angles; thanks for showing them, and it will be interesting to see what these areas look like after a bit more work.

• Agree 1

On 26/04/2019 at 14:21, great northern said:

Hornby haven't done Tottenham Hotspur, so mine has been Timmed to get it. I did point out to Simon Kohler some years ago when I was making the case for a new B17 tooling that 61630 was the only footballer which had a GE tender, and might make a good limited edition for that reason, but as they have saturated the market with B17s recently, it may be a long time coming, if at all.

Ah I see thank you! I’ve seen the brass plates for 61630 available. 

What does timmed mean? 

I think I could make do with renumbering  and replacing the brass plate of a decent ‘near enough’ one. Not a rivet counter here :) 

which variant did you use? Is 61665 a good match for colour?

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, MrDobilina said:

Ah I see thank you! I’ve seen the brass plates for 61630 available. 

What does timmed mean? 

I think I could make do with renumbering  and replacing the brass plate of a decent ‘near enough’ one. Not a rivet counter here :) 

which variant did you use? Is 61665 a good match for colour?

Timmed, means that the loco has been weathered and detailed by an extremely talented gentleman called Tim Easter. The unique thing about 61630 is that it was the only B17 named after a football club which had the small tender, so Leicester City, or any other footballer would be wrong. What you need is a  short tender engine, and Hornby have done quite a few of those. 61619 Welbeck Abbey is the current one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 31A said:

The 'second' pictures from yesterday evening and this morning show some interesting and 'different' angles; thanks for showing them, and it will be interesting to see what these areas look like after a bit more work.

I'm looking forward to working on these Steve, but first I need just a bit more input from Peter Leyland. Ther'e a nice lttle street scene just waiting to be developed, then I'll see what can be done with Station Road.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics as ever, Gilbert - it is a real tribute to your modelling that my wife thinks that when I am viewing your pics, she really believed that I was viewing pics of a real railway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Yet more coal going south, but this time to Little Barford power station at St Neots, hence the borrowed 01, and the extra brake van at the front of the train.

1436238163_123890.JPG.7d9be266594a78703f110c7b946f9009.JPG

301503223_1438902.JPG.bf32fa0def2f20ca16f82e3f4973193b.JPG

A very clean brake van on view, must be fresh from overhaul.

Hi Gilbert

A wee bit of geographical correctness is required. Little Barford power station was so called as it was in Little Barford, Bedfordshire. St Neots is in Cambridgeshire.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

A wee bit of geographical correctness is required. Little Barford power station was so called as it was in Little Barford, Bedfordshire. St Neots is in Cambridgeshire.

Or indeed Huntingdonshire in those days.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

19 minutes ago, 31A said:

Or indeed Huntingdonshire in those days.

But, unless my memory is seriously at fault, the county boundary must be very close to St Neots, as I recall clearly seeing the power station on the right very shortly after the my train had passed the station. This was in recent years though, so I suppose at 100mph plus it would seem a very short distance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect at that point the county boundary is the River Great Ouse (in which case the power station would be in a different county to the village .... ).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As you go under the ECML on the A428 there was a sign that stated "Welcome to Bedfordshire, a Progressive County" and the power station (there is still a gas turbine generating station on the site of Little Barford) is on the Bedfordshire side of the sign. 

The sign now just says "Welcome to Bedfordshire", no idea why it stopped being progressive except I no longer live there.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

I suspect at that point the county boundary is the River Great Ouse (in which case the power station would be in a different county to the village .... ).

Both the village and the power station are on the east bank of the River Great Ouse and within the county boarder. Had the power station been over the boarder it would have been called Eynesbury power station. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/518500/256500/10/101325

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive; I had forgotten where Bedfordshire ended although once upon a time I would have known very well!  Should have looked at a map myself first really ....

• Thanks 1

The Longthorpe side of Crescent Bridge was indeed, somewhat akin to a ski-jump before the general reconstruction of the roads around the Midland Road area attendant on the construction of the General Hospital. 

The Town side must have been fairly precipitous before the construction of the roundabout..

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1