Peterborough North

great northern

14 hours ago, great northern said:

Another of my experiments is first up tonight, but requires an assumption that the bridge slopes down rather severely at the far end.

1869351125_6mainroad.JPG.422fdc2a9bf25faf977e0b735aacb28d.JPG

Then, as the sequence progressed, the Elizabethan was due, and it was the Scottish engine on the Down train today. Unfortunately our photographer got so excited that he made a pig's ear of every shot he tried, the one below being the only remotely printable one. Even on that one, the ****** headboard has slipped, after I was very careful to set it straight before the train set off.

1472066357_17121alt.JPG.098c67127c568214b7d266177b6eabeb.JPG

Re photo along Crescent Bridge, from memory it did drop down quite steeply on the other side, so that photo fairly accurate.

Lloyd

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh to catch a DMU from Louth today.....next time I go to Aldi I can pretend there is a DMU passing as I stand in the goods yard car park.

Just pretend that the engine shed is still there, and two C12s are simmering outside as well, please Clive. If it works, I'll call in and have a look myself on the way over to yours.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, great northern said:

Just pretend that the engine shed is still there, and two C12s are simmering outside as well, please Clive. If it works, I'll call in and have a look myself on the way over to yours.

I think the engine shed was over by Buckets the horse tack shop Mrs M uses, so when she is looking at saddles I will pretend they are C12s and J3s.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 30/04/2019 at 04:57, great northern said:

There has been an inspection of the forecourt area, and an order has gone out for something to be done about this.

1463286201_15bike.JPG.f57f47f0c53172fc05a7c095ca762f61.JPG

Even years before elf and safety, that is not deemed to be acceptable.

On the other side of the building the Birmingham - Ely has arrived, and train and relief engine are seen side by side.830854510_2ely2.JPG.e50fd2c147ab2ee401ac6b3d9afbeb01.JPG

Nora Batty was asked to move, but she's deaf as a post, so there was no response.

Have one of the firemen set the wrong headcode or was it really a unique service that changed from Stopping Passenger to Express Passenger for the last leg of the journey ? Having said that, my recollection of my one and only trip from Ely to PN, was that there weren’t many stations to stop at anyway ( although that was behind a Brush Type 2 at a somewhat later date than the photo )

On 29/04/2019 at 14:02, Clive Mortimore said:

Both the village and the power station are on the east bank of the River Great Ouse and within the county boarder. Had the power station been over the boarder it would have been called Eynesbury power station. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/518500/256500/10/101325

Strangely enough, despite being next to the power station and the old ground frame for the sidings, the GSMR mast is called Eynesbury!

• Informative/Useful 1

We used to live in Buckden, unfortunately in the area supplied by Little Barford power station.  This is going back to the 1950s and 60s, and what sticks in the memory most clearly was that it only took the mildest rumble of thunder in earshot for them to cut off the supply!  My recollection is that thunder was more frequent in those days than now.

Were those 'the' days?

Anthony

4 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Strangely enough, despite being next to the power station and the old ground frame for the sidings, the GSMR mast is called Eynesbury!

Could someone enlighten me as to what a GSMR mast is, please?

Lloyd, the ignorant

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jazzer said:

Have one of the firemen set the wrong headcode or was it really a unique service that changed from Stopping Passenger to Express Passenger for the last leg of the journey ? Having said that, my recollection of my one and only trip from Ely to PN, was that there weren’t many stations to stop at anyway ( although that was behind a Brush Type 2 at a somewhat later date than the photo )

Some of the KX- Peterborough trains changed from Class A to Class B lights en route, one of them more than once if my memory can be trusted. As far as this one is concerned, putting lamps in position is getting more and more difficult, so if I can get away with it, I do.

I don't have the WTTs for either the Midland or the Eastern for this train, so I don't actually know which is right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Some of the KX- Peterborough trains changed from Class A to Class B lights en route, one of them more than once if my memory can be trusted. As far as this one is concerned, putting lamps in position is getting more and more difficult, so if I can get away with it, I do.

I don't have the WTTs for either the Midland or the Eastern for this train, so I don't actually know which is right.

Well, the things we learn on rm web ! Without giving it much thought I always “assumed”the fireman would work it out particularly as the whole pattern of what was class A or what was class B was very inconsistent, especially on the Western, but since it was to assist the signalman then if course logically it would be on the WTT. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jazzer said:

Well, the things we learn on rm web ! Without giving it much thought I always “assumed”the fireman would work it out particularly as the whole pattern of what was class A or what was class B was very inconsistent, especially on the Western, but since it was to assist the signalman then if course logically it would be on the WTT. 

I've had a quick look at my WTT. The first example I can find is the 5.50am KX- Grantham, which ran Class A as far as Hitchin, having stopped at Finsbury Park and Welwyn Garden City. From there, it changed to Class B. Thereafter it stopped nearly everywhere, but also was turned onto the slow goods line from Sandy to Abbots Ripton, a distance of 19 miles, which took forty minutes to negotiate!  Definitely not Class A material. A couple more Down trains did the same, both Class A to Hitchin, but then switched between the goods line and the slow goods line for many miles. There were some on the Up too, all the Class B running taking place on the goods lines, which I believe were heavily restricted for any passenger train.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

12_a_along_forecourt.JPG.e3c2d333af0e797d29bed698b6c6b39c.JPG

With all that coal littering the streets around the station, you'd think that some enterprising young lad would be earning himself some pocket money with a sack !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

12_a_along_forecourt.JPG.e3c2d333af0e797d29bed698b6c6b39c.JPG

With all that coal littering the streets around the station, you'd think that some enterprising young lad would be earning himself some pocket money with a sack !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Someone nicked it off the N5's bunker when no-one was looking, but he was seen as he made his getaway, and abandoned it, leaving it scattered as seen. It only happened a few minutes before, so there hadn't been time to clear it up yet.

Alternatively, I leant forward and blew it off from further down the road, and where it went, I did not know. But I do now.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Someone nicked it off the N5's bunker when no-one was looking, but he was seen as he made his getaway, and abandoned it, leaving it scattered as seen. It only happened a few minutes before, so there hadn't been time to clear it up yet.

Alternatively, I leant forward and blew it off from further down the road, and where it went, I did not know. But I do now.

Probably my fault, then!

• Funny 1